It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:41 pm

Free Newsletter

Losing weight and wanting to get pregnant

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Losing weight and wanting to get pregnant

Postby ali76 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm

Does anyone out there ever lose motivation to reach their goal weight because they plan on having kids in the near future?

My BF and I are thinking about having kids this time next year, and I have to be honest, I sometimes wonder why I bother fussing over losing 5-7 kilos. I know the weight I am now is reasonably healthy and that the excess weight I carry wouldn't be enough to cause fertility problems, but I wonder why i fight so hard to reach my goal, when in 18 months I could have a big baby belly...and then I'll need to start the fight all over again..

Do I make sense? Anyone else feel the same? :roll:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Re: Losing weight and wanting to get pregnant

Postby Cac33 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:41 pm

I do see where you're coming from. My hubby & I are planning to start trying to conceive later this year but that is the reason I'm trying to loose weight in the first place. I have tried to loose weight before & have lost 8-10kilos a few times but then I get bored but I'm determined this time for the health of our unborn (not even conceived child) to make it work & loose the weight.

I have a lot more weight than you to loose & I think you're at a pretty healthy weight now that it won't cause fertility problems but I would suggest going to the doctor to get their opinion. The doctor said to me that it would make things easier if I lost weight but the main thing is to improve stamina & fitness as I will need it when the baby does come.

I'm obessed with having a baby at the moment, I find myself looking at baby names or on family planning websites & just can't stop thinking about the whole thing. I have a new rule that if I find myself thinking about it I go for a walk. That way I'm increasing my fitness & will have better chances at conceiving.

Not sure if that helped but it was good to get off my chest :D

Feel free to contact me if you want to talk more baby stuff
Cass
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby ali76 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks Cac...I'm obsessed myself...

My BF loves me dearly but he sometimes says to me that I don't care about him so much, I just want his sperm.?! :oops: Which is obviously completely untrue, but that must be how much I go on about it.

You're right, I guess being in the best possible physical condition is always going to help your body cope with the stress of growing a baby then actually delivering it...

...sigh...
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby big_love » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:59 pm

you guys will need the stamin for baby making as well as chasing the babies :wink: :mrgreen:
140/117/85
big_love

Postby GoddessInside » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:00 pm

Well I've been TTC for the last 8 years :cry:

So this time around, I said enough was enough ! I have to lose weight, only I am in control of this. I have to turn this wish and hope into reality and Im the only one that can do it. Due to the excess weight I have severe PCOS which pretty much means if I wanted to fall pregnant right now, I may as well believe that pigs fly !

So yes, falling pregnant is one of my main motivators.
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby big_love » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:03 pm

that was supposed to read stamina :wink:
140/117/85
big_love

Postby Cac33 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:34 pm

Thanks Big Love I'm enjoying practising TTC at the moment. The stamina will def help.

Ali76 - my hubby tells me to shut up all the time, I'm so obsessed. I want it now but also want to be in the best shape for the pregnancy. I heard that according to feng shui (i read somewhere) that yellow booties in the bedroom will help you conceive. Not sure if its true but I'll be buying some & then can be used when the baby is born anyway.
Oh I could go on all day with this....

Goddessinside - I really feel for you. That is my worst nightmare. :( As hard as it may seem but try not think about it & throw yourself into loosing weight & getting healthy. My dr said the best thing to do is really mix it up & try not to think about actually making a baby when you have censored. He suggested adventurous censored like outdoors or in places you wouldn't normally. Nice one doc I say :wink:
Hopefully it will happen when you least expect it but in the mean time just concentrate on getting healthy for you.
I use to eat when I was down where now I go for a walk instead, it gives me endorfens (did I spell that right??) & space to think things through. Good luck, I truely wish you all the best

Cass xx
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby kittykat84 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:19 pm

Hubby and I are going to start TTC around this time next year - and It's definitely been a huge motivator to lose weight. I have had friends and family who have had problems TTC and with my endometriosis, I wanted to get myself into the best health I could for when we want to start trying to have a family of our own. Also, when I do fall pregnant, I want to BE healthy so I can house and nurture a healthy baby as well... so yes, it's a huge thing for me!
kittykat84

Postby ali76 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:41 pm

big_love wrote:you guys will need the stamin for baby making as well as chasing the babies :wink: :mrgreen:

Don't you worry Tam....always plenty of stamina for that...even if we're not TTC just yet...hehe... :oops: :lol: :shock:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby Diminishing » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:03 pm

Ali,

I can totally relate. Before I had my crop of babies, we were TCC for over 3 years. It was a long wait. And in that time I yo-you dieted, knowing I just wanted a big baby belly, so what was the point?

But, I did eat healthily through all my pregnancies.....and after each one lost a little more weight! ie I put on "pregnancy weight" only, and after giving birth, ended up a little LESS than when I started.

Then breastfeeding helped me shift a bit more after my first 2.

I didn't lose any whilst breastfeeding my third, but maintained my weight.

And now I am finally able to get rid of the final load, LOL!

If you have a flat stomach BEFORE pregnancy, much easier to get it back to flat quickly after you have given birth....promise! And honestly, a pregnant belly is SUCH a great and empowering state.....a very very different feeling to an "ate too much" belly.........

Helen......8 years is a long time babe..... :cry: I really can empathise. But I have been reading all your progress and I know you will get to the weight you want, and then the baby making thing will happen. As I mentioned above, my TTC journey was a long and painful one........I won't post all the details as it would go on for pages, but we really struggled with unexplained infertility, then I lost about 11kg (went from about 107kg own to 96kg) and got pregnant (with my eldest, who has just turned 4). My gp at the time had advised me that just 10% of your body weight lost can make a huge impact on your TTC chances. So I will fling you all the fertile vibes I can!

And yellow booties work by the way, LOL!

(Sorry ladies, i could blab on about fertility and TTC adn babies for days. I'll shut up now.)
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:24 am

We've been TTC for almost 18 months and will be starting IVF in a few months time (hopefully).

I want to get to my goal by then and during pregnancy (if I even get pregnant) I want to continue with healthy eating and sensible exercise to increase my chances of having a healthy baby AND I want to be ALL belly!!! I can't wait to have a big pregnant belly!

I think if you're sensible during pregnancy there is no reason why you should have an insane amount of weight to lose once the baby is born. My sister who was HUGE with her last baby gained 25kgs but had lost 10kg by the time she left the hospital.

Having weight to lose after a baby is the least of my worries, I will do it, no probs there. I'd gladly take another 100kgs to lose if it meant I had a baby.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:59 am

I'm in a similar situation, Ali. EWK and I are going to try for babies in the next couple of years so the idea of getting to goal weight is a bit bitter-sweet as I'll probably be gaining 20kg just as soon as I've lost it!

The thing to remember I think is that if you're going to gain 20kg while pregnant it's better to start from a normal weight than an overweight or obese weight. I'd rather be 80kg when pregnant than 100kg or 120kg. You lose a lot of that weight after the baby's born anyway (the baby and the excess fluid weigh a lot) and then it's just a matter of shifting the post-baby weight, not post-baby weight AND all the rest of the weight you've added over the years. And getting into good healthy eating and exercising plans now will only help you shift the weight after the baby's born, not to mention making it a healthier pregnancy and making conception easier in the first place.

Look at how amazing those Hollywood starlets look when they're pregnant. If that's how thin people look when they're up the duff that's definitely how I want to be!!! :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Just Chatting