It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:42 am

Free Newsletter

babies and work

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

babies and work

Postby holly80 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:47 pm

I work in childcare, and when I have babies I want to get out of that feild. I dont think I will have the paitence to work with children all day then coem home to mine. I know people say if there yours its different but i dont know, thats just the way I feel.

So I was going to study office admin. But to be honest I dont know if thats what I want to do. Infact I have no idea what I want to do. It really stresses me out not having a plan for when we have kids.

What are my options? Stay in childcare, study something (which I really dont want to do) or just get a job in a shop or something where I can just go to work and come home at the end of the day.

Holly

Every 5 kilos off= Pandora Charm

SW: 86kg 31/8/06
CW:
WL:
GW: 75kg

Rule your mind or it will rule you.You may delay, but time will not !!!
holly80

Re: babies and work

Postby electrongirl » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:38 pm

I do admin and its soo boring and tedious!! I have done so many jobs before and the ones I enjoyed most sadly were the lowest paid ones!!! Sucks huh!

Would you consider working in a call centre? There are heaps of them around these days and always looking for people.

I have worked in a couple and they are quite fun.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Diminishing » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Pre-babies I worked in a call centre for 10 years....in sales......great money and lovely conditions......BUT bear in mind that by the nature of contact centres these days, there is usually a requirement for some shift work. And whilst there is part time call centre work, its not generally for the bigger companies.

Childcare remains a good option. The childcare centre which I send my babies to......the director there just returned from mat leave.....and she now brings her baby boy in with her and he is in the nursery and she is a hands on director that also works in the nursery, so that works well for her. Horses for courses on that one......

Admin roles, part time ones, are easy to come by. But avoid reception.....think of roles where, if you NEED to skip off to pick up a baby from childcare or whatever, you can just down tools and go!

I have 3 children under 4 years old, and I now work just 2 days a week.....in a different field to my previous careers......I chose to study for Prince II (Project Management) and now work as a project manager.

My SIL has 3 under 5 and works 3 days a week as a merchandiser/feild rep for LG....

In terms of study, there are a lot of government funded traineeship schemes that incent employers to allow you to study for a Cert III or IV in, for example, Business Administration, which ends up cost neutral to yourself and to an employer.......so hold off paying your own money to study for the moment!
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:34 pm

Admin is HORRID HORRID HORRID! Hahahha :P Can you tell I hate it? :P
But then again, some people love it so you never know til you try!

Are there any courses you can study online or something to help you get a qualification to do something different?
zeedeveelgirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:01 pm

holly80 wrote:I work in childcare, and when I have babies I want to get out of that feild. I dont think I will have the paitence to work with children all day then coem home to mine. I know people say if there yours its different but i dont know, thats just the way I feel.

So I was going to study office admin. But to be honest I dont know if thats what I want to do. Infact I have no idea what I want to do. It really stresses me out not having a plan for when we have kids.

What are my options? Stay in childcare, study something (which I really dont want to do) or just get a job in a shop or something where I can just go to work and come home at the end of the day.

hi holly

i have a 2 year old daughter and worked two jobs up until 39 weeks pregnant- in childcare. she now goes to preschool 1 day a week at a centre i have previously worked out which turned out well for me because i know how the centre is run and feel most comfortable sending her there. i am not looking to return to the workforce for awhile yet, so i am not sure whether to return to child care or do a course to gain skills in another area. i guess what im trying to say is that you wont know what you feel like doing until its time to decide. i have noticed since becoming a mum that i have less patience now than what i did before. raising other people's children during the day is a lot different to raising your own 24/7.

best wishes
kate_turner2000

Postby holly80 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:56 am

Thanks for your replies. I cant decide what to do yet. I suppose just take every day as it comes. When I fall pregnant I can work out my options then. As long as there is money coming in I could even just go back and work casual or even work in a shop so theres no stress.... I suppose its not worth stressing about hey...

Holly

CW:
WL:

holly80

Postby Diminishing » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:39 pm

The other reason to wait until stressing about it is that I am convinced that no woman ever really knows how she is going to feel inside once she has her baby.

When I was pregnant,I was CONVINCED I would go back full time once my baby was 6 months old. Then as soon as I saw her, my whole world just changed. I just wanted to be with her 24 hours a day and the idea of going to work filled me with horror.

But other women I know, who were determined to stay at home and NOT return to work have been champing at the bit to get back to work by 6 months.

And then finances come into play........a friend of mine works nights to cover the mortgage so that she doesn't have to leave her toddler and 6 month old. So she gets a great rate of pay for antisocial hours, never misses a waking moment with her kids, but is permanently shattered.....

Its a tough one, for sure.
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby holly80 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:53 pm

Thanks Lucy for your advice. And lets face it, it could take years to fall, you just never know and life can change at any point really.

Holly

CW:
WL:

holly80

Return to Just Chatting