It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Free Newsletter

Survey on School - Please help!

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Survey on School - Please help!

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi Guys

One of the tasks for my Education topic Tutorial at Uni next week is to interview someone 15-20 yrs older than myself about their schooling... So if there is anyone aged 36-41 I would love your help!!! Even if you're early 30's, I think that'd do!!!
Here are the questions....

Interview questions about education and schooling…
Hi, I’m interested in talking to you about your experiences of schooling and
education. You went to school in a different generation to me and I’m interested in
how things might have changed, or even stayed the same.
1. Can you tell me when you went to school and where?
2. What was your school like, what sort of students went there?
3. What were your favourite subjects, what kind of subjects were offered?
4. How were boys and girls treated, the same or differently?
5. Do you think that schools have changed? In what ways?

Thanks for your time

Cheers guys!!
Em xoxo
zeedeveelgirl

Re: Survey on School - Please help!

Postby electrongirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:08 pm

I'm almost 32 so I'll give it a go if you want! Are you wanting high school or primary school?
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:45 pm

That'd be awesome, thanks heaps Nikki :D :D

I think it wants you to talk about your whole schooling life.
zeedeveelgirl

Postby electrongirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Holy cow!!

Ok we moved around alot so I went to alot of different schools but I'll give the 2 major ones.

Primary School:
I attended Edge Hill Primary School in Cairns Queensland from 1982 - 1988.
It was a nice school in a nice area of Cairns. Most of the students were from middle class families.
The usual - but music & sports were pretty big.
That I can remember we were treated pretty much the same. There were a few boys who cause trouble and the teachers would send them out of the class or to the office. A few got the cane as that was still allowed back then.

Definitely! Teachers have alot less powers and kids take the piss alot more in my opinion. I think teachers don't get the respect they used to get. I also think there have been some ridiculous things become "taboo" at school due to political correctness etc.

High School:
Trinity Bay High School Cairns Qld 1991 - 1992 (I only did up to year 10)
Very different to my primary school. Trinity Bay was the 2nd roughest school in Cairns at that time and most of the richer kids went to private schools. The ones that did go the Trinity Bay got big shocks. They weren't the popular ones in school anymore. There were gangs and fights all the time. Luckily I was never in one!
Science, Commercial Cooking & Japanese were my favourite subjects.
On offer were: Your basics eg: English,maths then Drama, Film & Television, Japanese, Commercial Cooking, Computing, etc.
It depended on the teachers. Most of the time girls were treated better as the boys tended to be the trouble makers. But some teachers were bad to both!
Most definately. This school itself is way different to what it used to be. They are now alot more modern and seem to act alot more like a private school, even down to the uniforms. High school is alot tougher I think now and also probably scarier than when I went there.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:09 pm

Thanks so much for doing that for me, Nikki!!! That was great because you'd had experience in different schools! I'll have lots to talk about in my tute :D

PS They still had the cane!? OUCH!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby electrongirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:52 pm

zeedeveelgirl wrote:Thanks so much for doing that for me, Nikki!!! That was great because you'd had experience in different schools! I'll have lots to talk about in my tute :D

PS They still had the cane!? OUCH!!

Yep! I got the ruler once, across my hand, I can't remember what for though.

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Diminishing » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:55 pm

Em, I am 38 so fall into that age bracket..but I went to school in the Uk.....would that help?
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:41 pm

Ouch!! That's harsh, Nikki!!!

Diminishing (sorry, I don't know your name :oops: :oops: ) : That would be fantastic!!! It would be great to get an international perspective.

Em xoxo
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Diminishing » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:23 am

1980-1987 to a church aided comprehensive school in Chichester, Sussex, UK
It was a 1970's built school of approx 1000 students aged 11 - 18. It was a government funded school, with funding also given by the Anglican Church. It was selective based on family church contribution (to give a sense of community) from a wide catchement area (approx 40km radius). It attempted to draw people of all sicio economic groups but was predominantly "white anglo middleclass". It was co-ed, with a heavy emphasis on pastoral care. I loved it.
All usual subjects offered, with an emphasis on arts. My favourite subjects were Home Economics and English.
The same
Not sure: my children are not at that age yet! But from what I can gather, schools int eh UK are more competitive now, with better facilites.
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby GoddessInside » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:10 am

Nope Im not participating :P :mrgreen:
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Sassygirl » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:11 pm

Hay Em - thought that I would pop in and give you some answers!

PRIMARY SCHOOL

I experienced both private and public in Primary school. Rivervale Primary School (Rivervale WA) from yrs Kindy to 3 and St Augustine's Primary (Rivervale) from 4 - 7. I found that the public schooling left me lagging behind. I remember sitting in my first class at the Catholic school not knowing what the hell these kids were talking about. I felt sooo dumb.
2. What was your school like, what sort of students went there?In the state school there was a mix of races there. My best friend was a lovely Aboriginal girl. We lived next to each other and did everything together. There were bullies there as well - saw a lot of kids get beaten up - not very nice. The Catholic school was a lot more tamer - although there were bullies there too.
3. What were your favourite subjects, what kind of subjects were offered?I loved and still do to this day - ENGLISH! Loved reading, writing stories etc
4. How were boys and girls treated, the same or differently?The boys at the state school used to get into so much trouble and never seemed as if they wanted to learn anything. They used to pick on you if you got a good score in a test. In the Catholic school there were not many boys by the time Yr 7 came around - and the ones that were there were well behaved.
Primary schools have changed so much. Teachers have little or no power anymore. They have to be careful when telling kids off and they cannot be left alone with kids. The way they teach has also changed. My kids bring home work and I don't know how to help them!

SECONDARY

1. Can you tell me when you went to school and where?St Norbert College in Queenspark, WA.

We had the usual groups - the popular kids (girls that were good looking etc), the smarties (good looking and smart), the geeks or nerds (ugly but brainy) and then there was my group - the not so good looking but really nice people group.
3. What were your favourite subjects, what kind of subjects were offered?I really enjoyed English and English Literature as I got older (YRs 11 & 12). Also loved Theatre Arts. My father passed away when I was in Year 12 and I couldn't deal with it. My Theatre Arts teacher brought me out of my self through acting - it was absolutely fantastic. I learnt to deal with my issues and never once got slammed for it. Other subjects offered where Food and Nutrition, Sewing, the usual Maths, Science, Social Studies etc
4. How were boys and girls treated, the same or differently?Both were treated the same. If you were a boy and goodlooking you were treated the same as a girl. In each group each censored was treated the same.
What the hell is Studies of Soceity and the Environment anyway - why couldn't they just call it what it should be Social Studies. I find that subjects have changed so much and kids are given way too much freedom as well.

Hope that helps a little - brings back memories (breaks into a chorus of Memories .... like the corners of my mind .........

See ya Em!
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be well prepared for my tute now!! :D
zeedeveelgirl

Return to Just Chatting