It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:56 pm

Free Newsletter

Beijing 2008 Olympics

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics

Postby Strawberry » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:00 pm

Sussy wrote:Why, they're the best athletes in the country/world as well, who work and train just as hard as the others and are representing their country too who just happen to get paid well for it?

Even normal athletes make good money if not millions of dollars through endorsements and sponsorships alone.

I think stuff like BMX riding really doesn't seem like an Olympic sport but it's in there.

take basketball for example...who’s the dominate team that always wins? pretty obvious they've won gold each Olympics & lessons the chance for another country to win gold in that particular sports. I believe basketball should just stick to NBL for several reasons 1) this is the pinnacle of their sports 2) fairer as you don't have all the best players on one team thus making it more challenging & without having the egotism of being the best 3)having to really work for it to be the best, not just because the team has all the A list basketballers.

tennis is pretty self explanatory really - they have their own comps too, & yes individual players do represent their countries.Winning the Australian Open, Wimbledon etc ranks a tennis player & winning that puts you at the pinnacle of the sport

the olympics isn't the bench mark of being the best for these 2 examples.

this is just my own opinion but i truly believe sports that don't have a wide following, their own league to compete in should be in the olympics. there are those sports that the olympics is the pinnacle of sporting achievement unlike basketball and tennis.

Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics

Postby Tarz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:48 pm

I don't think tennis, soccer and golf need to be in there but i think basketball does still.

I do agree that it needs to be sports where an olympic medal is the highest honour.

Return to Just Chatting