It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:28 pm

Free Newsletter

Spelling & Grammar

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Spelling & Grammar

Postby mindy32 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:55 am

First of all, Gordz what were you doing posting at 4:30am this morning! lol.

Back to topic: I admit I can be a bit lazy when typing. My friends jokingly referred to me as a walking dictionary years ago because I could spell most things, however I do stop bothering to correct my own typos these days, not because I don't realise they are there, just because I figure it doesn't matter all that much!
*****Belinda*****
'Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'
mindy32

Postby mum2james » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:00 am

electrongirl wrote:Can I ask, if you don't mind. Did you have trouble with spelling in school? And if so did your teachers make any effort to help you?
I am just curious as to know if the education system is as bad as I think its become.

I've never been very good at spelling. At school I used words that I knew how to spell and avoided the ones I didn't know how to. :oops:
Stacey - 25 and mum to a beautiful 5 year old boy. :-)

Current weight: 76kg
Goal Weight: 70kg
mum2james

Postby Gordz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:29 pm

mindy32 wrote:First of all, Gordz what were you doing posting at 4:30am this morning! lol.

I met alovely lady last night :) :oops: 8)
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby electrongirl » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:33 pm

Gordz wrote:
mindy32 wrote:First of all, Gordz what were you doing posting at 4:30am this morning! lol.

that's no excuse!! You should have been with her. not on here!! hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby meegs » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:05 pm

electrongirl wrote:
Gordz wrote:

that's no excuse!! You should have been with her. not on here!! hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Nikki, are you just being polite?
GORDZ, TELL US MORE!!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZmhU33/]
[/url]
meegs

Postby Snowflake » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:24 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:And yet there is another argument to be made in all of this. In defense of those who can't spell, it's not necessarily because the education system is failing them or because they're stupid - it's the English language that is at fault. Consider that we are one of the only European languages that hasn't been systematically updated for hundreds of years. French, Dutch, Spanish, Italian... all of those languages have been reformed at some time or another to bring spelling in line with pronunciation. In fact many of our French derived words are spelled as they were hundreds of years ago and bear little similarity to how they are spelled in modern French because French is centrally controlled and they were willing to update their spelling.

To see the failure of English look at the word 'night'. Originally it was spelled as it was pronounced. We have not used the soft sound 'gh' in the word for centuries now so why do we hold onto the spelling? 'Nite' is seen as a lazy, modern and a result of poor business signage and the SMS age. Yet no-one would read it and not know what it means, and it would take far less time for children to learn to spell it.

There has been a push to reform English spelling for over a hundred years now. The Americans partially reformed their spelling, eliminating quite a few silent letters from words, but they fell short of a complete overhaul. So why do we persist in favouring outdated spelling? It doesn't benefit our students. Consider that it is considered laughable in Italy that a child of eight wouldn't be able to spell all words in their vocabulary. So how much extra time can be spent learning other useful things given that spelling takes care of itself when a child speaks Italian? Imagine if mathematics had as many obscure clauses and conditions that English spelling possesses. 4+4=8 except in some cases where it equals 13. Most time would be spent learning the exceptions rather than basic maths skills with absolutely no benefit to students' overall knowledge of mathematics. In Italy spelling is simple and students can focus on other things to learn. Forcing English speaking students to focus on out of date spellings to the detriment of other subjects simply puts them behind their international contemporaries in terms of what they can learn in the time they spend at school.

So what purpose do all of these spelling exceptions hold? It makes it harder to learn to write English so it doesn't benefit communication. It doesn't aid in clarity since most words are seen in the context in which they are used anyway. They're/Their/There may make more sense in writing, but we don't have any way to distinguish them verbally and we seem to get our points across in conversations with no problems at all. Instead we have an archaic system that seems to exist only to try and trip people up when they are trying to communicate. The only purpose that keeping our spelling so complicated serves is to preserve elitism - if you can spell properly you are somehow better than those who cannot. And given it's the people who can spell who are in charge of education, dictionaries and publishing it's not surprising that they'd rather keep the status quo rather than reform spelling for the benefit of all.

(End rant!) :lol:

Haha that was brilliant!!!!!!!! I loved every word of it, I had no idea and never thought about that but its soooo true!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5WLHBp/]
Snowflake

Postby Gordz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:49 pm

I met alovely lady last night :) :oops: 8)[/quote]

that's no excuse!! You should have been with her. not on here!! hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe[/quote]
GORDZ, TELL US MORE!!!![/quote]

haha, was only a first meeting! i'm not the sort of guy to make a 'whole' night out of it on the first night... lol.... She's just a friend i've been speaking too for at least 5 years online.. I can't describe how wierd it is to meet someone you think you know so well, but it was very relaxed and casual. Will deffinately be seeing her again. Acutally, she herself has lost alot of weight recently.. like 20kgs, and she looks great. She's very supportive of my weight loss journey which is great, and i guess we'll just see how it goes =) She has just written a book, and has been published! anyone into sci-fi that likes a read, give me a hoi and i'll link you to the book :)
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Freddy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:57 am

wot do u mean by spelling and grammer my spelling and grammer are juzt fine so can any1 an admin or someone pls close this topic

Just kidding :) I'm with you on this. People are becoming more and more lazy. I hate reading sentences, or even worse, paragraphs, with either bad grammar or bad spelling. People replace entire syllables (my 1st language isn't English, so I could have spelled this incorrect ;)) by either numbers, or leave letters out because people understand the story anyway.

Though, at some point, the story becomes incrompehendable (love that word) and attention is lost. So somewhere this hype (let's called it a hype, shall we) will be over and the world returns to normal. Something like this forum (ahem...).
Freddy

Postby Gordz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:40 am

just realised you're dutch!! nightwish! within temptation!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:32 pm

Snowflake wrote:Haha that was brilliant!!!!!!!! I loved every word of it, I had no idea and never thought about that but its soooo true!

I used to be a passionate supporter of 'proper' grammar and spelling until a linguist friend of mine explained all of this to me. Then I started reading up on English spelling reform. Instead of being angry at poor spellers I became angry at the English language as a whole. So at least I'm consistently angry, it's just my targets that tend to change. :lol:

A good example of how silly English spelling can be is the word 'ghoti'. Which, as all good English spellers know, is pronounced 'fish':

F: 'gh' as in 'cough'
I: 'o' as is 'women'
SH: 'ti' as in 'nation'

The problem with reforming spelling is that there are so many potential models out there to follow. Some merely adjust existing spelling to make more sense, still using the current alphabet (eg. nite instead of night). Others create new letters so that spelling can be totally phonetic (the playwrite George Bernard Shaw was a strong supporter of this). Still others create entirely new spelling rules so that everything is totally consistent, but it eliminates all silent letters and makes some words unrecognisable (niit instead of night, for example, where 'ii' is the letter combination for a long 'i'). If even the supporters of reform can't agree on what should be done it makes it difficult to convince the masses that they should change.

Sadly I don't think English spelling will ever be in line with pronunciation in the future. There's not just the problem of what model of spelling to follow. There is no one central authority for English spelling. Each English speaking country has its own preferred dictionary and its own system of spelling. And since English is the lingua franca of our time and as the number of people with English as a second language grow the likelihood of any central control over its development becomes smaller and smaller.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby electrongirl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:09 pm

another thing I hate is when people type all in one paragraph without any punctuation or breaks or anything and it all blurs together and makes it really hard to read and all blurs into one this and you lose your place and can't find where you were and it drives you crazy because it gives you a headache and and and and

I couldn't keep it up!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby JP1 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:33 pm

theirs nuttin rong wiv mi spellin..

PJ :wink:
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Previous

Return to Just Chatting