It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:42 am

Free Newsletter

ATTENTION MELBOURNE FOLKS!

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

ATTENTION MELBOURNE FOLKS!

Postby yellowroses » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi all :)

I just wanted to say that every 3 months or so DH and I get together with a group of friends (some off of forums such as this) to donate blood in South Bank in the city. Our next one will be in about 3 and a half months (donating soon and all places are filled).

In light of the recent fires in Victoria, I was wondering if anyone from the Weight Loss Forum forum would like to register their interest in donating the next time we have one of these, just so we can know approximately how many spaces to book for the next blood-a-thon.

If you're interested in bleeding for a cause, please either PM me or post on here, and I will notify everyone who registered interest when the exact date of the next one is.

Thanks!

:)
Goal for 2010: Be at most 99.9kg by 31st December 2010
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePqDKj/

Final Goal: 68kgs.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcytIxC/

I'm taking back my life.
Check out my vlog: http://www.youtube.com/yellowroses89
yellowroses

Re: ATTENTION MELBOURNE FOLKS!

Postby Gordz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:44 am

a great cause, and I honestly would... but last time I gave bloody I threw up violently for the next two hours!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby electrongirl » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:52 am

I have been following this over here and I wish there was something I could do. I have been looking at pictures and have been in tears all day.

Please anyone that can give blood please do so, its free and it helps so much!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Gordz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:24 pm

Cucking Funt parking inspectors went wild booking people at the red cross recently.. it took mitchel johnson to get robert doyle on the blower to get any action...

How unaustralian is that. Theres no hope for australia anymore.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby yellowroses » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:43 am

Gordz wrote:Cucking Funt parking inspectors went wild booking people at the red cross recently.. it took mitchel johnson to get robert doyle on the blower to get any action...

How unaustralian is that. Theres no hope for australia anymore.

Yeah I was listening to that on the radio today! Like... parking inspectors didn't know what was happening?? What kind of excuse is that???

I'm taking back my life.
yellowroses

Postby Gordz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:12 am

durka's only care about their next payout anyway. oh and guess what. their job runs on commisions per fine.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:52 am

Gordz wrote:durka's only care about their next payout anyway. oh and guess what. their job runs on commisions per fine.

If you're upset at how they are paid you need to protest to the council about outsourcing to contractors. Back in the day when parking officers worked directly for councils they were not paid by commission. I know, my dad was a by-laws officer in the North East about ten years ago. He got no bonuses for ticketing people. But he ticketed them nonetheless. Why? Because the rules are there for a reason. Parking spots are designated to prevent potential injury and keep traffic flowing. Times are often regulated so that other people can find a parking spot and one place isn't hogged all day by one driver. If people had an extremely good reason for parking where they did he'd rip up the ticket. However a lack of organisation on their behalf does not constitute an emergency.

What do you think should have happened in the wake of the bushfires? Have carte blanche for parking in that section of the city for the next few weeks? If hundreds of people are parking illegally in that one area that creates a nightmare for traffic, which would make things difficult for people who want to get there to give blood, or get to work if they happen to work for the Red Cross. It would make things incredibly inconvenient for other people who want to park there - which would include other potential blood donors, and Red Cross workers. And in the worst case scenario can put other drivers and pedestrians at risk if they are double parking, parking in places where there are no designated parking bays, or parking in clearways. Enough people have been injured or killed in this without creating new hazards. Imagine how many people would be complaining if all of this happened!

I'm sure the council will look at the merits of each ticket and if the person can prove they were donating blood they'll waive the fine. Blaming the parking officers is picking on the people lowest in the pile. What about the contracting companies that pay by commission? I'm sure the parking officers would rather receive a flat wage. What about the local politics that urge councils to outsource rather than hire their own employees? Handy way to wipe their hands of the bad-press, but they're the ones who caused the situation in the first place. And what about putting a little bit of responsibility back on the people who parked illegally in the first place? What's wrong with parking a little further away and walking, or catching PT? Or did they think that all laws in Melbourne were suddenly suspended for them because they were doing a good deed?
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:07 am

I just spoke to my other half. He was listening to the radio yesterday and apparently these contracting companies are ordering the parking officers to ticket any illegally parked car no matter what the circumstances. There was a situation where people in the fire affected areas are being ticketed for parking outside the car park at the local train station, never mind the fact that hundreds more people need to park there now that the bus services in the area aren't operating and other train stations aren't in operation further down the track. There aren't enough car spaces for everyone so people are having to improvise. (Mind you, this is a little different to choosing to park illegally in the city so you can donate blood).

So the old days of parking officers being able to rip up a ticket out of compassion are long gone. The companies they work for are telling them their jobs are on the line if they don't issue tickets.

Don't complain about the parking officers. Complain about the greedy companies threatening to sack them if they show any compassion. Complain about cheap councils outsourcing to those greedy companies. And complain about cheap voters trying to keep their rates down by voting the [email protected] in in the first place. :evil:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gordz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:12 pm

I'm just complaining that australia is going down the drain.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:15 pm

Oh yeah. I agree with that! But I blame outsourcing, rampant capitalism and privatisation. Not the workers themselves.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gordz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:49 pm

It all goes back to government though doesn't it. Democracy is just voting for who you think is the lesser of two evils...
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:55 pm

Yes. And unfortunately people seem to vote purely on financial self-interest these days. If someone promises cheaper rates or taxes they'll flock to vote him or her into power. Then they'll complain that hard rubbish isn't run how it used to, that all the new roads are tollways and that parking officers are booking people more than they used to.

The revolution will not be televised. All the rights to it have been sold to Pay TV. :roll:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gordz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:22 pm

well when working harder (ie. two jobs) gets you 50% tax on the second job, it's hard not to vote for financial gain :( i'd rather be bored and poor than working nights for $10 an hour
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby yellowroses » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:47 pm

ANYWAY! Can we get off the topic of the people who got ticketed and the people who ticketed them, and please just register interest if you wish to give blood with a group of people.

K. Thanks.

I'm taking back my life.
yellowroses

Return to Just Chatting