It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:39 pm

Free Newsletter

credit card...advice?

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

credit card...advice?

Postby star » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:44 am

I'm looking at switching credit cards as I have been prompted to have a good look at mine and I think my interest rate is very high. Just wondering if anyone can make a recommendation? I am comparing a few, and at this stage one from Aussie looks the best. It's low rate rate and starts with a rate of 9.99%
star

Re: credit card...advice?

Postby Gordz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:04 pm

can't offer advice here.... i just cant seem to knock my debt off, but with 20% interest on it and a bad credit rating over $200 that i refuse to pay becuase they got it wrong, it's hard!!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby star » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Wow, that sucks gordz. You mean they got it wrong and now you have a bad credit rating? I reckon I'd roll over and pay it. Good for you though.
star

Postby Gordz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:53 pm

i'll have to ring them about it... origin reckon I never told them I was moving out, and are charging me another quarter. I deffinately told them but I didn't get written confirmation from them (my mistake)

I'll only pay it (only for the inconvenience!) if they will assure me all record of it is wiped from my credit rating, so I can get another card with 0% on transfers, pay it off and destroy it!!! Although after next weeks pay i'll only have $300 left which probly isn't worth the bother.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby milkyway » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:41 pm

It depends on many things. Do you pay your balance monthly? Are you good with your monthly budget? If so, it doesn't matter what the interest rates are and instead look around for a good rewards program.

I have a great card with Westpac - it's an Amex/Mastercard platinum card and it costs $290 per year - may sound like a lot but we buy EVERYTHING on it and pay it off each month and accumulate heaps of points. I don't even know what the interest is. You can use the points to pay the annual fee, buy things and get gift vouchers for heaps of places like myer and bunnings. In the last few months we've accumulated about $400 worth of vouchers - for nothing! Also, when we travel, if we buy our tickets with the card, we automatically get travel insurance, which can also save hundreds. I used that insurance policy in 2007 when I had to claim an emergency flight to escape a dangerous situation (due to a politically motivated riot in Nepal with 35 people killed, buildings burnt, looters etc.) and apart from a $200 excess, they reimbursed us for the cost of the flight.

I also do balance transfers at 0% interest. We paid for our home reno last year mostly on credit card and then did 2 balance transfers onto two new cards - one at 4mths at 0% (Paid off last week :) ) and one at 6 months (almost there!). Then once paid off, we cancel the cards. We're running out of banks to do that with though :P

If you're good at managing your money and cashflow, this is definitely the way to go. I'm not good like that but thankfully my husband is. He runs spreadsheets and tracks all our spending. He's fantastic at managing it all and makes the banks work for us!

If you don't pay your balance off each month, then shopping around for a cheaper rate is the best way to go. 9.99% sounds pretty good.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Return to Just Chatting