It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Free Newsletter

Energy Tablets?

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Energy Tablets?

Postby CrimsonThunder » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Hey everyone, I've noticed lately I haven't got much energy. I am eating well and everything but still get really tired. I'm just wondering if theres any tablets like Vitamin C and Fish Oil tablets that give you extra energy? I know I could have Coffee but is there anything else?

Cheers. :)
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Re: Energy Tablets?

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:07 am

I try to have one Berocca per day. I find it gives me energy, but that could be because my diet lacks in B vitamins. Theoretically vitamin supplements only work if you are deficient in something. It might be worth going over your diet to see what you might be lacking, whether it be B vitamins, iron, folate or something else. You can eat healthily and still be missing something. A blood test could help determine if you need supplements. It's definitely worthwhile. I recently found out I was deficient in vitamin D which really surprised me.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby CrimsonThunder » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Cheers for the advice, do you know if Skim Milk has Vitamin C in it? Or does only Full Cream milk have that? Is powdered skim milk any different?
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:15 pm

From what I can find online it seems that one cup of skim milk has only 4% of your recommended daily dose of vitamin C (link). Your best bet for vitamin C are fruits such as blackcurrants, guavas, mandarins, mangoes, oranges, orange juice, pawpaw and strawberries. Green vegetables such as broccoli (boiled), cabbage (raw), cauliflower (raw), parsley, brussels sprouts (boiled) and green capsicum (raw or cooked) are also high in vitamin C.

The recommended daily dose for women is 30-80 milligrams, depending on what source you look at, so it's worth going through this chart to see if you're getting enough on an average day. If you're not sure then there's not much harm in taking a vitamin C supplement. It's not fat-soluble so any excess vitamin C is passed out through urine so there's not much chance of toxicity if you accidentally take a bit too much. However, because it's not fat-soluble your body doesn't store it, so you need to make sure you're getting enough vitamin C on a regular basis. If you have over 2000 milligrams in a day it can lead to diarrhea, though. (Vitamin C fact sheet link.)
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Carley » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:59 am

EvilWombatQueen wrote:I try to have one Berocca per day. I find it gives me energy, but that could be because my diet lacks in B vitamins. Theoretically vitamin supplements only work if you are deficient in something. It might be worth going over your diet to see what you might be lacking, whether it be B vitamins, iron, folate or something else. You can eat healthily and still be missing something. A blood test could help determine if you need supplements. It's definitely worthwhile. I recently found out I was deficient in vitamin D which really surprised me.

I agree, it could also be your thyroid, I'd look at getting that tested too. Before I was on thyroxine, I was always tired, sluggish and I had little energy.
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

Return to Just Chatting