It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:52 am

Free Newsletter

People who think they know all the answers

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

People who think they know all the answers

Postby FatFukShrinking » Fri May 14, 2010 2:15 pm

Hey i'm new here. I want to have a censored. :D

What is the go with people who think that THEIR method of weight loss is the best / only way?

On another website i was seeking advice. I listened to the advice and took from that the parts which i agreed with. Just because i don't 100% agree with their methods, some people think i am a brain dead piece of worthless crap. I keep trying to explain to them that it's not that i haven't learnt anything, it's that i don't WANT to do it 100% their way.

They also run down anyone who has a lapband, calling them lazy pieces of crap. They run down people who have lost weight through shakes, saying they will gain it all back. They run down every method except their own!

I don't believe that there is a one size fits all exercise and diet plan out there. I think that we all need to do what is the best for us, and what we know we can sustain.

So that's my vent. I'm sick of people think i am going to fail just because i'm not doing it their way!!

SW: 121.3kg - 20/04/2010
First Goal: 109 kilos (Losing 10% of my body weight)
Second Goal: 99 kilos (Getting out of triple digits)
Third goal: 85 kilos (Getting back to a weight where i felt more like ME)
Ultimate long term goal: 60 kilos (Losing half of my start weight)
FatFukShrinking

Re: People who think they know all the answers

Postby Matryoshka » Fri May 14, 2010 3:46 pm

I think that some people just get so wrapped up in what works for them that they can't understand that it may not be for other people. I guess they have never heard of the saying 'to each their own'

I know for me personally that shakes diets just don't work... but they have worked brilliantly for my sister and for some close friends who have in fact lost lots of weight and have kept it off, even throughout pregnancy.

As for lap banding, I would never judge someone for having one, who knows what path that person has been on to have lead them to such a major decision. Surgery is never an easy option which is what bugs me when people look down their noses at people who have had weight loss surgery done... surely the recipient of the surgery has weighed up the pro's & con's and realised this is the best thing for them. Ultimately, all weight loss is good for those of us who need to lose weight, we just have to find the right path to get us to goal and we need support from people who have been there, done that before, regardless of how they got to their goal. Their right way isn't necessarily my right way.
Matryoshka

Postby FatFukShrinking » Fri May 14, 2010 4:15 pm

You worded that perfectly! That is exactly what i was thinking and feeling. :D

FatFukShrinking

Postby Downsizeme » Sat May 15, 2010 5:48 pm

I think people are jut passionate about weight loss, and probably at the root of the comments is a desire to genuinely help someone lose the weight, particularly if they have had success themselves. Weight is such a volatile and emotional issue for people, so prob just over eager to share experiences!! :D Advice is free, take what you want and leave the rest. :wink:
Changing my life, one ounce at a time.

I started this journey on Feb 2 2010 and though I would like to be a size 5 by June, I am prepared to accept that it might take a bit longer :D

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHHCsTy/]
[/url]
Downsizeme

Postby FatFukShrinking » Sat May 15, 2010 6:06 pm

I was PO when i wrote this lol. Apologies. I was taking offence to someone (not here), telling me that my plan was crap and i will never lose weight on it. I don't see it as constructive to put people down for their choices. Love getting advice though. I am always learning new things about weight loss from other people. :D

FatFukShrinking

Postby Downsizeme » Sat May 15, 2010 6:13 pm

hey..it's no problem, I often write things when I am annoyed, it feels great, until the next morning :lol:

Just do your own thing I say, and take what you need - every person is different. I wish I was the type of person who could live on shakes, sadly I like food too much! :mrgreen:

Important thing is to not give up your dream of weight loss, no matter how you get there! xxx

I started this journey on Feb 2 2010 and though I would like to be a size 5 by June, I am prepared to accept that it might take a bit longer :D

[/url]
Downsizeme

Postby FatFukShrinking » Sat May 15, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks Downsizeme!

Yes, the next day is a problem lol. Writers remorse. I'm not doing a shake diet but i do know people who have kept off the weight doing it, whatever works. I'm just trying to eat in moderation. The person who had me PO was telling me that eating in moderation will make me fat!

What the face! LOL

FatFukShrinking

Postby Downsizeme » Sat May 15, 2010 7:07 pm

lol, that's novel, everything in moderation (except alcohol :D ) is the key to a long and happy life..apparently!

[/url]
Downsizeme

Postby kristal » Thu May 20, 2010 3:05 pm

I think I know which site you are referring to and there is a bit of bully tactics going on there. They are very very passionate but some border on being a bit obnoxious and it is always easier being blunt and superior when on a computer and not face to face.

Typing it down definately does help things though - its a great way to vent.

I agree, different types of diets work for different people. Shakes worked for me and I enjoyed it so I won't let anybody tell me otherwise, whereas I know someone else that can't stick to it/stand it and prefer Lite N Easy, and that is cool! I don't mind people having an opinion whether it be good or bad to the decisiosn I make, but just don't expect me to revert to what you are saying!

Just do what is simply best for you. Only you know what is best for your body.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Postby FatFukShrinking » Thu May 20, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Kristal

It did help me to have a little vent lol. I felt like i was banging my head against a brick wall at this other website! I actually cried at one point, then someone in my real life told me not to worry about what someone on the internet thinks, (because i am losing weight doing it my way). I really started to question everything i was doing because these people disagreed with me so fiercely!

I'm glad i got out of there and stuck it out. This website seems like a much better option for me, everyone is on different plans and it doesn't seem to matter, because we share that common goal of wanting to lose weight and get healthy.

I love reading opinions on what i am doing ... good or bad, it's just when they start telling you that you will fail if you don't do it their way... that gets me annoyed.

FatFukShrinking

Postby Freddy » Tue May 25, 2010 8:23 pm

There are so many ways of losing weight that everyone has to promote their way. When you try a diet and it works great for you, and the dietician tells you it's the best diet every time you go there, you will start believing it over time.

Basically, there is no best way of losing weight. Each body responds differently to every workout, and every diet. Someone can tell you their diet or workout is the best, but it is something you need to find out yourself. The only one who can say in the end whether it's a good workout or diet is the person who stuck to it while losing weight. And even then, the quality of the diet/workout is only relative.
Freddy

Postby bigboomba » Thu May 27, 2010 1:50 pm

I especially love it when the people offering up this brilliant advice, have not even tried the method in question...

I get so cranky at people who tell me that I will just put all my weight back on after I stop taking my Duromine. But they have never actually had it, it's just what they hear so it must be true... Duromine is helping me fight off my snack attacks. Which is where my personal problem with weight is. Thanks to not getting specific cravings, I have been able to sit down and plan out healthy and sensible meals, and stick to them! It takes 14 days to make or break a habit. At the end of my course, my meal plans will be routine for me. Routine is 1 thing I am brilliant at.

Anyhow, that was my mini rant... sorry lol

My step dad has just had the gastric sleeve done. No way is he lazy. Being lazy is doing nothing at to help yourself lose weight.

The know-it-alls are everywhere. You can't escape them, so start using the smile and nod approach.... :wink:
SW:109.7kg
CW:104.9kg
1st mini goal: Double digits by September 4th!

UGW:55kg
WLTD:4.8kg

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wt50NLQ/
bigboomba

Postby FatFukShrinking » Thu May 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Hi Bigboomba!

Oh god yes. I have witnessed someone being torn apart for taking Duromine on another forum. I find it really hard to take advice off people who are sooooo negative about anyones ideas but their own. You know what is really scary? You can become a personal trainer in something like 12 weeks, some people (not all) .... think that their little course makes them a professor of weight loss. Not to say that there aren't great PT's, but it is a bit of an in fashion thing to become one atm.

FatFukShrinking

Postby bigboomba » Fri May 28, 2010 9:58 pm

LOL yes!! I have witnessed something like one of these all-knowing-PT's.

I smiled and told them I couldn't hear them because all the fat was blocking my ears... :D
SW:109.7kg
CW:104.9kg
1st mini goal: Double digits by September 4th!

UGW:55kg
WLTD:4.8kg

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wt50NLQ/
bigboomba

Postby alizezz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:58 am

I think that I know all the answers too. :lol: :lol:
alizezz

Return to Just Chatting