It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Free Newsletter

Girls at work

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Girls at work

Postby Akasha » Mon May 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi

I was wondering if anyone was having this issue....

Most of my career i worked with guys - to the point were i was the only girl in the whole company.... i finally got fed up with this environment and moved to a different type of environment to a mostly female office environment and while i love it i feel so so so...

intimidated?? (i guess is the way to put it)

The girls are marvelous i love em to pieces but they are gorgeous and wear stunning clothes and hair styles to work even when they are having a "bad" day. It kind of makes me take a look at myself and think "what the hell do they see in me?" "am i the ugly one of the group?'

does anyone have this issue ?

(also these girls look like models and are thin but are in no way stuck up, in fact the first time i met one she was wearing stunning channel scarf and earrings and a stunning suit and i honestly thought she was a model until she opened her mouth to make a really down to earth comment and joke about our work)


So why the hell do i feel like this???
Image
User avatar
Akasha
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Girls at work

Postby kristal » Thu May 20, 2010 2:52 pm

It is much easier to work with men in that regard - I agree!

Where I am working at the moment, all the ladies wear really really lovely clothes and look fantastically well groomed every day where as I just wear my black pants and a collared shirt every day, no make up with hair pulled back. I just tell myself that I don't have the money to get those types of clothes and that I want to spend the money on other things.

At the end of the day, I feel I have a great personality and that overshadows clothes when it comes to your fellow work mates.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
User avatar
kristal
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:53 pm
Location: Cronulla NSW

Re: Girls at work

Postby Akasha » Thu May 20, 2010 3:11 pm

Your so right ^ :D
Image
User avatar
Akasha
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Girls at work

Postby Sara89 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:53 pm

I have the same promblem. I work in a very small office and the two girls I work with are both my age but much skinner then me at the moment im using them as my daily motivation every time I think about going to the canteen I look at them.
SW 110.9kgs
CW- 104.9Kg
First mini goal - 100kg
GW 70kgs
Goal size 12
If you dont know where your heading, you might just end up someplace else

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wEMaK6R/]
Image
[/url]
Sara89
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Girls at work

Postby Freddy » Tue May 25, 2010 8:12 pm

You really think only women feel like that at work?

I have the same issue, as other guys at work (I work in a mostly male environment) wear the nice stuff and I just wear whatever I can find at the store that fits my body and falls within dresscode borders. I just feel like I don't fit in (even though I do a better job than my direct colleagues ;)), but that's mostly a matter of lacking confidence in myself I think.
I just wish I'd be able to dress nicer and feel more comfortable wearing my clothes at work.
User avatar
Freddy
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Dordrecht, Netherlands

Re: Girls at work

Postby lalalaaa » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:01 pm

I love your observations of girls in the workplace.
I'm guessing you are prob in a tech field of work.

I am the only girl in my department, and yet the organisation I work for is 60% female.
Like many IT dept, we're relegated to the bowels of the company, so nobody really sees us.

After almost six years at this company, I recently realised I was now a bit nervous of interacting with other women as I'm so daggy compared to them.
I have to admit, it wasnt helped by moving away from my girlfriends five year back, when I went bush.
This year I started attending a few work related forums to try to start connecting again...I know there are other women in IT, I have worked with a quite a few over the years, but networking is really hard when you havent been doing it for a while and also lack a bit of confidence.

Funny thing was when I started working, I was in PR and wore the same as most girls I worked with. I even worked on Aust fashion week when it launched in the '90s, yep surrounded by Australia's top designers and models and at the time wasnt at all intimidated.

Now after 12 years of IT, I dont even own a suit, have forgotten to how to wear makeup, own no-name brand clothes and have hair that schoolkids would dread. I think I kind of let myself go a bit... well a lot :lol: ,
but I can also say I have seen both sides and it doesnt really matter what your colleagues wear or you wear, its how you work together.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNncKpV/]
Image
[/url]
lalalaaa
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:52 am

Re: Girls at work

Postby alizezz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:00 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
alizezz
 

Re: Girls at work

Postby Freddy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:45 am

lalalaaa wrote:I love your observations of girls in the workplace.
I'm guessing you are prob in a tech field of work.

I am the only girl in my department, and yet the organisation I work for is 60% female.
Like many IT dept, we're relegated to the bowels of the company, so nobody really sees us.

After almost six years at this company, I recently realised I was now a bit nervous of interacting with other women as I'm so daggy compared to them.
I have to admit, it wasnt helped by moving away from my girlfriends five year back, when I went bush.
This year I started attending a few work related forums to try to start connecting again...I know there are other women in IT, I have worked with a quite a few over the years, but networking is really hard when you havent been doing it for a while and also lack a bit of confidence.

Funny thing was when I started working, I was in PR and wore the same as most girls I worked with. I even worked on Aust fashion week when it launched in the '90s, yep surrounded by Australia's top designers and models and at the time wasnt at all intimidated.

Now after 12 years of IT, I dont even own a suit, have forgotten to how to wear makeup, own no-name brand clothes and have hair that schoolkids would dread. I think I kind of let myself go a bit... well a lot :lol: ,
but I can also say I have seen both sides and it doesnt really matter what your colleagues wear or you wear, its how you work together.

Why don't you come work at my company? Our tech support could use the presence of a woman. Should be pretty good for the environment over there. An all-male-environment starts to scare the censored out of me.
User avatar
Freddy
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Dordrecht, Netherlands

Re: Girls at work

Postby lalalaaa » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks for the offer... how much does it pay? :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNncKpV/]
Image
[/url]
lalalaaa
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:52 am

Re: Girls at work

Postby Freddy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:40 pm

lalalaaa wrote:Thanks for the offer... how much does it pay? :lol:

You'll have me as a co-worker. What more could you want? :lol:
User avatar
Freddy
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Dordrecht, Netherlands

Re: Girls at work

Postby Tan37 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:27 pm

Having worked in both environments I actually find working in a male dominated environment more down to earth and fun.

They don't tend to take things so seriously as women do and easier to negotiate with. Too many women in the one place can be an absolute disaster, with censored and gossip mongering. Though there are men who enjoy it too it is more prevalent with women.

As for feeling intimidated, I have never felt intimidated by the looks of any of my co-workers, there is one there though, she is tiny and really drop dead gorgous but I tell you she has the mouth of an alley cat and scares the living begeebers outta me!!! She is my boss and thankfully she likes me so have never got on the bad side of her but have watched the lady in action and I feel sorry for anyone not on her good side!! and yet to look at her you would never see it at all lol
Tan37
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:47 am
Location: Adelaide SA

Re: Girls at work

Postby bellajenny » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:12 am

I found that working with men can be less stressful than with women. This, of course, depends on the industry you are in but my experience is in the office type environment.
Just my two cents :)
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam removed
bellajenny
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Girls at work

Postby me11 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Freddy wrote:You really think only women feel like that at work?

I have the same issue, as other guys at work (I work in a mostly male environment) wear the nice stuff and I just wear whatever I can find at the store that fits my body and falls within dresscode borders. I just feel like I don't fit in (even though I do a better job than my direct colleagues ;)), but that's mostly a matter of lacking confidence in myself I think.
I just wish I'd be able to dress nicer and feel more comfortable wearing my clothes at work.


I work with mostly men and I must admit, it has never even crossed my mind that some of them might feel the way you do, Freddy. I always thought that it's us women who feel insecure. Maybe it's because men don't talk about it as much as we do. I haven't had any of those men ever coming up to me to ask if those pants make their backside look big. :) Few of the guys are really big guys but they are always smiling and chatting to everybody to I guess I just assumed they are happy with themselves. But then again, I am the same way but deep inside I always wonder if people look at me in a different way or think I'm lazy slob that eats take away every day because I stacked on lots of weight.

Thanks Freddy for opening my eyes.
Image
User avatar
me11
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Girls at work

Postby bewellbuzz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:00 am

I don't like working in an all men environment either, I like working with girls. I think the problem is, that you are so used to work in an all men environment, that you kinda forgot hoe to dress up at work and look Schick and sexy. I guess working in an all girl environment will help you get yourself together and look good even at your worst day.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Signature removed. Please refer to forum rules.
bewellbuzz
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:28 am

Re: Girls at work

Postby kelvinator » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:24 pm

I am very similar to you girls.
I work with 99% females, fortunately for me I can pretty much avoid someone if I need to. Being in a classroom with your own audience has it's benefits, you pretty much have your own office.

I wear the same shirts I wore even when I was smaller except now the buttons are popping a little. I wear the same skirt every day, never been taught/know how to put on makeup (apart from some mascara and blush) and my hair is comfortable pulled back in the same style every day... I sound so depressing when I write it down like that.

me11 really struck a chord with me, so much so that I had tears in my eyes. Why hasn't this occured to me before? I must be in complete denial because... I have never really thought about what people think about me being 10kgs heavier than this time last year. Maybe they all think that I do a Macca's run every night on the way home from work and have a stash of chocolates in my room that I eat constantly. I take peoples comments to heart so if they were thinking/saying rumours behind my back I would be really upset... let's just hope they are not.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woAh7b6/]
Image
[/url]
kelvinator
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Qld


Return to Just Chatting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest