It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:10 am

Free Newsletter

Have you lost weight???

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Have you lost weight???

Postby Sassyt » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:39 pm

Have you ever felt so angry at a question that is supposed to be a complement???

At first it felt more like "oh someone can tell I am doing something"

I dont know maybe its me, I mean duur everyone can see that I have lost weight even me lol :P but I find myself having to answer a "have you lost weight"? question a lot lately a hell lot and I have gotten to a point where I am now not so complemented with it... I get kinnda irritated and find myself saying "No I haven't"...

Am I naturally a mean person or what???

How do you handle this realy
Happy weight - 78kg
Ultimate goal weight- 70kg
Sassyt

Re: Have you lost weight???

Postby Gordz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:16 am

its a hard one to answer when you're faced with that question in the middle of your weight loss... last month I had a girl i worked with fairly blown away with how I looked. It felt good, but at the same time a sobering experience knowing that I have a long way to go. I just smiled and said thanks, i've been working on it. No need to feel awkward or bad about it; its a compliment on how you're going so far. So keep hitting it and stun the person next time!!!!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby sunndy33colors » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:46 pm

I had very good slim body before,but now i am so fat.
I want to find a good way to lose my weight.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertising link in signature
sunndy33colors

Postby Lilly88 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:41 pm

I understand what you mean, I feel the exact same way. It tends to make me feel uncomfortable, I not sure why.
It would be great if they said "wow, you look great." or "looking good, nice dress."
I think that I would rather here something along those lines rather than "have you lost weight?" :|
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed due to malware warning.
Lilly88

Postby Sassyt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Thank you

I thought I was the odd one out. I have noticed thought that I prefer being told then asked... It feels different to me if someone comes to me and exclaim "Oh my God you have lost so much weight" than "have you lost weight" :roll: duur no I havent!!! lol
Happy weight - 78kg
Sassyt

Postby Gordz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:40 am

yeah sassy. feels a bajillionlillion times better when someone says 'sht man, you've love some beef!' I'd take that over 'have you lost weight' anyday!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Sassyt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:25 pm

For the sake of Peace I will let this one slide. Its cool different strokes for different folkes :)
Happy weight - 78kg
Sassyt

Postby JessICan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:38 pm

I agree.. i have lost about 5kg so far, and everyone has been commenting "have you lost weight? wow you look SO GREAT!"
..thanks... what did i look like before????

~ Jessi
JessICan

Postby bewellbuzz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:06 am

No girl, you are not mean. It really bugs me too when people ask me things about my weight, at least I can handle "have you lost weight" question but the meanest thing is when someone tell you up front, right into your face that you gained weight. I really find it really rude for people to comment on your body except if they are your close friends. I never ask or complement people about their weight when I meet them at a public place.
As they say: "If you have nothing nice to say, then just keep your mouth shut!"
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Signature removed. Please refer to forum rules.
bewellbuzz

Postby fi_112 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:12 pm

I keep getting "skinny censored" and 'just cos you're skinny now!" and things like that which I know are intended as a backhanded compliment but it makes for an awkward situation... am I supposed to say "Thanks" or "shut up" or what??? A few times I've said "thanks" and my friends have been like "god, don't even pretend you're not!"
hahaha!
I didn't lose all this weight to pretend that I haven't! :P
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby mum2james » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:56 am

I was very open about my weightloss so my friends and family knew I was doing Weight Watchers. I'd get the odd "Have you lost weight" and I would proudly say YES! What I found irritating was after a weight in and I hadn't lost weight some people would smirk thinking I hadn't stayed on track or say "better luck next time". :roll:
Stacey - 25 and mum to a beautiful 5 year old boy. :-)

Current weight: 76kg
Goal Weight: 70kg
mum2james

Postby dragonfly » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:56 am

I also get annoyed as yes I did loose, but gained alot back, and people say oooh you've lost weight, when in actual fact I hadnt.

another one that i find irrating is the oh you've lost weight, you look great, so that means last month i looked like censored then??

I know they dont mean it like that, but i dont take compiliments well.

an sorry i had to giggle at the beef comment, thats just rediculous. and good onya for letting it slide. someone having a bad day there.
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby Owlie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:16 pm

JessICan wrote:I agree.. i have lost about 5kg so far, and everyone has been commenting "have you lost weight? wow you look SO GREAT!"
..thanks... what did i look like before????

This is my feeling, too. I find weight loss comments just make me realise that everyone probably thought I was a big fatty and that I had been walking around like a balloon embarrassing myself... sigh

Self depricating to the last!! :(

Doesn't help that I'm at the begining of my weight loss journey (again), and I KNOW I am the balloon...
Start: 77kg
Current: 75.9kg
Goal: 59kg
Owlie

Postby Gordz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:49 pm

dragonfly wrote:
an sorry i had to giggle at the beef comment, thats just rediculous. and good onya for letting it slide. someone having a bad day there.

no not at all. i had been losing weight and wore a slimmer fitting shirt one day and he said "sht mate youve lost some beef''. i smiled and said yep! i felt good that it was noticeable. must be different with girls. well if he was thinner than me then i probably wouldnt have taken it the same way...

hmm.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Return to Just Chatting