It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:08 pm

Free Newsletter

Seasons

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Seasons

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi all :) i was just curious as to whether you think that beginning weightloss is a seasonal thing or not? do you think more people have the urge to get off their behinds and do something about their weight because summer is coming up and they want to look nice in their swimwear? do you think that more people have the urge to do something about their weight in winter when they can cover up in bulky stuff and exercise? or do you think that its a year round thing? just curious whether or not gyms have 'quiet periods' or not. hmmm *ponders* :?: :roll:
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:53 pm

I think a lot of the weight loss ads head for summer. They are always advertising lose weight for summer, or get fit this summer. There are not many that advertise about winter (some do). On that kind of note a lot of people want to lose the weight for summer as they want to look good in their summer clothes and swimmers (as well as Christmas) where as you can cover your bulk in winter!!

I think personally though if you are really committed to losing the weight it doesn't matter what season you start in.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Bel » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:21 pm

For sure I believe that weightloss is seasonal.
Unless you are a gym junkey people stuggle to go in winter it's to cold or raining.
I've been to gyms where in spring and summer you see all types of people working out, but come winter it just dies down.
The worse thing about that is that's how the gyms make there money. People buy a 12 month membership and only go for half a year. But they still have to pay for the full 12 months..
I agree that if your serious about losing weight you continue all throughout the year, But let me put this out there... How many of us if we are really honest with ourselves, have put off our diets or excersing plans until we have nicer weather??? I know I have..
Expectations are only worth living up to if there your own!!!!!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Bel

Postby Ally » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:23 pm

True Bel, quite true
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:32 pm

hi bel

i agree about the putting off thing. before i started my weightloss program though i used to walk 2.8km a day in winter, i would rug myself up and heidi in her pram. i prefer exercising in winter because i dont get as hot lol. but i know what you mean mate!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:12 pm

I agree there seems to be a seasonal side to it. I got something in the post from lite n easy about re-joining to get slim for summer. It was a general thing aimed at previous clients but I even thought about it! Then I'm like, hang on, I am already getting there without it now so *shrugs*.

I am happy I started exercising seriously in May and I never backed down all winter. If it was cold I got rugged up and walked faster. If it rained I did a 40 min exercise DVD when I got home. So truly, if you are committed you will make it happen no matter what. What this has done for me is made exercise an important daily part of my life and the day isn't quite complete without having done something. So I am figuring if I've managed it all winter then summer should be no problem...until it gets too hot! :lol: You can't win.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Garfield » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:42 pm

Yeah, I reckon most people like to try and lose weight in the spring before summer so they can look good in their summer clothes.
Also there are a few people in my building (uni accomodation) that have gained weight over winter... they don't fit their summer clothes any more and can't afford a whole new summer wardrobe.
The first time I seriously lost weight I started around march/april and exercised really hard over that winter. Come summer I slacked off and hardly lost any weight. The next winter I maintained my weight with a lot of exercise... then the next summer the Christmas holdays got to me and I actually gained weight...
But I think the majority of people start in the lead up to summer. But as Ally said, if you really want to get healthy for life then it won't bother you when you start.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Return to Just Chatting