It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:21 am

Free Newsletter

does anyone grow their own veggies?

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

does anyone grow their own veggies?

Postby matchbox » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:37 pm

does anyone grow their own veggies? wanting to start and looking for people to talk to :mrgreen:
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Re: does anyone grow their own veggies?

Postby 10kglighter:) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Yep we do, its great especially when you eat what you grow without the chemicals!! This winter we had broccoli, cauli, spinach, carrots, peas, spring onions and garlic. The kids had their own patch of baby carrots and beetroot :D Looking forward to the tomatoes, zucchini, pumpkins, peas and beans over the next few months too. :D
Kellie
SW:70kg
CW:61.9kg
GW:60kg
10kglighter:)

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:35 am

I'm so jealous. I'm spending a fortune at the organic grocer these days. That's the worst thing about living in a flat: no option for a veggie garden! I've been thinking of getting those hanging upside-down tomato and strawberry growing baskets. Maybe I could hang them on the curtain rail in the kitchen or something!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Mum_of_4 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:51 pm

I attempted to grow some of my own vegies over winter... I didn't do too bad considering i am the worst possible gardener in the world... without a joke! I have killed unkillable plants, but was pleased enough with my effort that we are thinking about giving it another go. I did manage to grow some lettuce, broccoli and cauliflour. We only have a small area but I think it would be good to grow some if i can... am thinking about getting some large pots and growing some vegies that way.. Would be grateful for any advice though :D
People with open hearts and open minds will always have the most beautiful packages, no matter how they are wrapped!
Mum_of_4

Postby dragonfly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:16 am

yes we do. unfortunelty we have had such little rain, and we reply on dam water and rain water only for drinking bathing and gardens its been a tough winter and we had to let the garden go. BUT yesterday we dug it up and going to get a truck load of water to put in the tanks so we can get some more veggies growing again.
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:09 pm

Sure do!
http://www.youtube.com/user/GreenTDave? ... 4VsaPHYVLM
I've just go one together in time for spring...You can get a motorized tiller if your soil is not too hard. Expect to pay out some money early on in establishing a good soil base...compost/manure/mulch and fertilizer will make up the bulk of your cost...not to mention water. Using drippers can greatly reduce the amount of water you use, however I'd advise doing a little hand watering in between to ensure you cover all the root zones...to much info....BUT...at its most basic level...Water/Soil & Seed will get you started...search on the net for some good guides suited to your climate Zone and you can't go wrong.

It gets easier & cheaper if you keep it up...Good Luck with it...it really is the only way to go, if your interested eating Healthy Food :wink:
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Yep, I grow my own vegies and it's fantastic! Even if you only have a few bits and pieces on your plate that are yours, it's still great. I just picked some broccolini for tonight's stir fry, I us my spinach regularly and the lettuces are coming into their own right now. The garlic has been growing all winter and should be absolute monsters in a few months. I have some tomato seeds (saved from last year's crop) growing on my windowsill ready to be planted in a couple of weeks - home grown tomatoes are indescribable! Half of them don't make it inside! I honestly think I like them better than the strawberries that grow next door to them. We've also got peas growing, broad beans coming up and the random self sown potatoes that are like the cut and come again pudding! They were here when we arrived and they just seem to keep coming back! I also have artichokes growing in the ornamental garden (they are very architectural plants and look spectacular) as well as a dwarf peach (that currently is suffering a bit of leaf curl :oops: )

I follow what I like to call a "Darwinian approach" to gardening - aka survival of the fittest. I'm just too busy to pamper my plants. My approach to pest control is to pull out any sick or infested plants, trap and squish slugs and snails (I have a dog so baiting is definitely out of the question) and if it's too much bother I just don't grow it. I don't use anything other than seasol or white oil type thing, keep my own compost, throw on the occasional load of sheep poo and added gypsum to break up our godawful clay. The soil is still what I like to call "developing" which means it's an absolute nightmare, but hey, it's growing things and it'll get better. :lol:

Best meal I ever had was a salad with my own lettuce, tomatoes, beetroot and peas tossed together with some nice fetta and a tin of tuna. Bliss!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby HippyJess » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Hey man, I have a veggie garden. We grow peas, beans, tomatoes, capsicum, potatoes, pumpkin and spring onions at the moment. I love it and everything tastes SO GOOD! My veggie garden is like another child!!! I was so proud when we got our first crop of peas :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfDBkJQ/]
[/url]
HippyJess

Postby Metalcharm » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:11 pm

We put a garden in for this summer .. tomatoes, lettuce, capsicum, cucumber, zuchinni, leeks, carrots, strawberries, herbs ... and probably something else I'm not thinking of!
I'm on the land so have lots of room but we also have rabbits that live in the yard so had to put up a pretty good fence to stop them.

oh! Corn is the other thing!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby joier » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:46 pm

I've planted peppers, garlic, cucumber and radish few years ago, but now is not
It's very difficult to lose weight,but i believe i can do
Now: 175cm,82kg
There is still a long way
joier

Postby lindah » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:12 am

I grow a random assortment; lemons, tomatoes, rockmelon, Spanish sage, basil, chives, spring onion, yarrow, chillis, oregano, mint, lemongrass, dill, parsley, potatoes. I've been meaning to grow some more vegies but no cash. The potatoes growing are just from a sprouting potato I threw in the garden, tomatoes and rockmelon grew randomly from some compost! Nothing better than having a home grown meal!
lindah

Postby sizing_down » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:58 am

I'm growing veg. We put in 2 raised veggie gardens this year with plans for more later on and the current occupants look like triffids. I've got carrots, shallots, leeks, radishes, tomatoes, corn, cucumber, spaghetti squash, zucchini, capsicums and strawberries growing. Slugs were a major problem for my seedlings but we put copper tape around the beds when we built them and the slugs haven't found a way in yet (soon they'll be able to climb in on whatever I can't keep contained though) now my biggest veg threat is my dog... he destroyed a LOT of seedlings, dug big holes in the beds and seems to have snapped the beans off at the base so we won't be having much success with those :( you should see our dog proofing- it's pretty hefty because he's a great dane and is a little bit hard to keep out of anywhere he wants to get into!

I'm really only learning and experimenting. This is my first real attempt at growing veg. I order seeds from the Diggers Club- they have a fantastic range of heirloom varieties.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wYY4HVE/]
[/url]

12 Week Challenge Goal 28th Febuary 2011 68.6kg

Starting weight: September '10 83kg
sizing_down

Postby Phat-Beth » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Yes, I do grow my own (more accurately, my boyfriend does most of it), and I love it. It saves so much money, and encourages us to eat more veggies. We use no chemicals or pesticides other than ordering predator insects and spraying the squash with soapwater to stop flies. We buy only heirloom seeds (you can save the seeds from year to year - I think it cost us about $30 to start years back and we had way more than we could handle) so no worries about the genetically modified schlock that the supermarkets want to carry.

Beth
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam removed from signature.
Phat-Beth

Postby Lighterfasterfocused » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi All,

I love my vegies and use the wicking system...hands down the only way i will ever grow vegies again, you will never grow tomatoes like this.true.

http://www.easygrowvegetables.com/

genius idea.

Dave
Lighterfasterfocused

Postby Lilly88 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:40 pm

Yes and fresh is so much better. At the moment we are growing zucchinis, snow peas, sugar snaps and squash. I am thinking of putting in a few tomato bushes also because we eat so many of them and they cost so much. I cannot stop picking the fresh peas and eating the, straight from the bush, delicious.
Check out this site on how to grow zucchinis. http://www.squidoo.com/growing-zucchinis
I am always looking for ways to keep my weight down. check out my blog http://www.ideasforweightloss.blogspot.com & http://www.squidoo.com/tips-for-dieting-and-eating-out
Lilly88

Next

Return to Just Chatting