It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:37 am

Free Newsletter

Fashion angst

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Fashion angst

Postby desert_me » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:50 pm

Hello everyone,

As I lose weight, and start to get my shape back, I am trying on different trendy clothes.

At the moment, I can get into size 14 or Large, including at a lot of teenage stores like TEMT and Sportsgirl.

BUT........
The clothes go on, but they don't fit properly, or flatter my figure.

My breasts are too big for those baby doll, and princess line dresses.
The flounces make me look pregnant.
And the shoulder straps accentuate my broad, fatty shoulders and flabby arms!
Plus, I can't find a 16D strapless bra to wear the strapless, halterneck stuff, nor would it flatter me if I could.

And everything else in the shops is geared to old ladies! Shapeless sacks, uninspiring pastels and florals..... :x

Grrrr!
How to be stylish and sexy on the way down?
desert_me

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:01 pm

HI there mate!

as mandie mentioned in another post, those wrap dresses look nice as they flatter your mid section. i have quite flabby arms too and im self conscious. but i was told the other day that i looked nice in my new size 14 clothes and its better than seeing my stomach hang over my shorts like before :shock: :shock: wow didnt know that!

also you might have been like me- i hid beneath baggy shirts and pants for a long time, now i have to get used to more fitted clothes.

maybe the best thing to do is to take someone with you who is really honest and ask them what they think as you try on different things.

another tip is with those dresses or tops that show a lot of cleavage - i know because im a DD cup, is wear a singlet top underneath the top or dress to conceal it.

good luck with it all!! i know its like going out into the big wide world! lol
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:02 pm

Well I am no help as I have another fashion problem. I just have no fashion sense, no style! I never used to care but now I can actually fit some of the great stuff out there and I don't know where to start! I now have an opportunity to buy clothes I really like rather than what will fit as I pretty much have to get a whole new wardrobe and I don't want to end up with the same dull stuff. I have even bought a book written by those English birds that tell you what to and what not to wear. Will have to swat up on that before going to the shops. God forbid that I have to start reading womens mags to help this dilemma!
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:05 pm

oh kim!!! i wish i loved down there near you and i could take you shopping! you need to flatter your need hot bod mate!!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:13 pm

LOL Kate that would be fun I think!

I also used to hide behind baggy clothes and now I enjoy the fitted clothes more. I still have a tummy but nowhere near the size it used to be so I have even worn belts with the tops tucked in.

Sigh, I wish you well desert_me, let us know how you go. :D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby fiona » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:20 pm

Wow, belts with shirt tucked in!!!!!!! i can only dream :lol: After having 3 kiddies my belly is all stretched and still rather large!!!
But youre right. Shopping is more stressful now because i've no idea what to wear, or what flatters me. My daughter says i look great in most things i try on, but shes only 11.
Its hard to know what style suits best, so i talk to the shop attendants a lot and tell them to be brutally honest with me.
Plunging necklines look real sexy, but i work in a school so lots of chamies in my drawer :lol: I'm a 12F or G cup (depends). Those 3/4 pants are nice, but i'm only 160cm so they make me look toooooo stunted.
Halter necks are pretty, but i'm 41 so i'll leave them to the younger ones on the forum :lol:
Good luck shopping
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNxsd9O/]
[/url]
fiona

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:14 am

lol i dont even wear halternecks and never will lol and im 21!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:37 am

LOL me either, I'm too busty.

When I was bigger I always had a big bust and now I still have a similar figure which is why it is often hard to see the change. Still have a big bust, at least I think so for my size and frame. So I will be a 10 on the bottom soon but will be a 12 on top and probably will remain that way.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:49 pm

it is hard to CHOOSE for once what to purchase rather than only what you can get into and what doesn't look vaguely like a tent.

I walked into a shop the other week, tried on a heap of clothes like I normally used to to see which ones fit - they all fit and looked nice!! I got so confused and couldn't decide so i just walked out without buying anything.

I am one of those almost tom-boy type persons and I used to wear a lot of bloke's clothes because A) they had larger sizes, esp jeans and B) if you "choose" to wear those styles you don't feel as crappy that you can't get nice girly clothes.

Even skinny girls have differnt body types that require different cuts though. Shop around if you can and go to differnt types of shops. I just gon't go into those teeny-bopper shops because they don't sell styles of clothing that suit me.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Garfield » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:44 pm

You will find that some fashions are just not meant for some body shapes. I'm on average a size 10 (go me :D) but there are some things I just can't wear. I'm almost flat chested but I'm larger in the hips/bum/thighs. In most things I look totally flat up top :(
You just have to experiment and see what style of clothes are best for you. Here is a hint for everyone though... skinny leg jeans are only for models, not real women. Only go for them if you don't mind being mistaken for one of the whales that are apparently migrating at the moment. No offense to anyone that wear skinny leg jeans :oops:
Desert me - perhaps you need to start your shopping off with finding some good comfortable properly fitted bras. My mum is big up top and the biggest difference between an outfit looking terrible on her and an outfit looking stunning is whether she is wearing a good bra or not. Apparently if you stand up and place a pencil under your breast and it stays there that means you need a more supportive bra... in which case I need no bra at all lol.
Have fun shopping :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:25 am

jeez the damage is done for me then! lol. ill need a massive over the shoulder boulder holder.
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:33 am

believe it or not, losing weight has made my boobies perkier :shock: . They've only dropped 1 cup size, but I'm guessing all the upper body toning from cycling must be somehow contributing because they don't point at the floor anymore.

Sorry, that was probably waaaaaaay too much info hey.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:38 am

lol no wonder you are bra shopping today haha
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:00 am

LOl thanks Tegan. Well my hubby says they are perkier but I don't agree with him. Oops talking about mine not yours! :lol:
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kelstar » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:08 pm

I'm a little jealous of all this talk about you all getting perkier breasts, mine seem to have deflated. Was a D cup now down to a 12C and can't say I'm as proud of them as I used to be. I have been trying elevated dumbell presses and even push ups. Ah well if the trade is a flat chest to go with a flat stomach then so be it.

Kelly
Attitude is Everything

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
kelstar

Next

Return to Just Chatting