It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:05 am

Free Newsletter

Gastroscopy

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Gastroscopy

Postby kate28 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Has anyone ever had one of these done? I'm booked in to get one done next Monday. I've had a lot of stomach problems in the last year, excruciating pain and throwing up quite regularly, at least once a month, when I was someone who rarely vomited before this year.
Just wondering how it went for you and what to expect. I have to fast for 6 hours before the procedure, not sure when I'll be able to eat again? It shouldn't be too long after it. Hopefully this doesn't send my body into fasting mode too badly :lol:

SW: 103.6 kg (started 8/11/10)
G1: 98 kg (achieved 13/12/10)
G2: 93.6 kg
GW: 75 kg (will reassess once I reach it)
kate28

Re: Gastroscopy

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:05 am

Hi Kate

I had a few of these about 10 years ago. Unless things have changed since then, it goes something like this:
You get a drug to stop the gag reflex and a drug to dull your senses. The drug I got was Pethadine, great fun - unfortunately they wouldn't let me take home a doggy bag.

A mouth guard with a hole in the centre for the tube was placed in my mouth and I was told to count backwards from 10 to 1 and relax.

I remember feeling the tube go in, but not giving a damn. Next thing I knew I was sitting in a wheelchair and almost all my memory was gone starting from the time that the needle was inserted into my hand.

Couldn't walk properly for a few hours, but after that I was fine.

They discovered the a Heloibacter Pylori infection in the stomach lining. The biopsy was negative.
CronicBadger

Postby lindtcrazy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:06 pm

I had one two weeks ago then got spun around for the other end sorry ( tmi )

I didnt even see the reason for the gastroscopy I had no complaints about my stomach but he said he saw imflammation there, so will see him next week for results. I was nervous and they put a mouth shape thing in my mouth too, and then the room spun and I was gone. I felt no effects of that when I woke, but the other is another story. I wish you well and try not to think about the day, not easy I know.

It was this procedure that got me thinking about my weight issues and back to healthy eating. I fasted on liquid for the colonoscopy and then fasted a day before with nothing and the scales scared the beejeecess out of me I couldnt believe I was weighing 68.8 kgs after a two day fast, but what did I expect of all that winter comfort food.
lindtcrazy

Postby kate28 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Thanks for the replies :)
Got it this Monday and I'm not stressing. I got a blood test for H. Pylori last week and it came back negative. More so guessing I may have stomach ulcers, but we will see what Monday brings. Little bit nervous cus I've never had anything like this done but oh well :)

SW: 103.6 kg (started 8/11/10)
G1: 98 kg (achieved 13/12/10)
G2: 93.6 kg
GW: 75 kg (will reassess once I reach it)
kate28

Return to Just Chatting