It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:56 am

Free Newsletter

Stretch Marks :(

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Stretch Marks :(

Postby niksta » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi all
I have a bit of a random question to ask lol.
Does anyone know who to eliminate stretch marks or lessen the appearance of them? I have used Bio-oil and Vitamin E cream i think it was (someone said it would work and it didnt) :(
I am sorta hoping as I lose some weight, the skin's elasticity will reduce the appearance of them.. but I dont know. Any pointers??
niksta

Re: Stretch Marks :(

Postby BelleJournee » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:23 pm

I'd like an answer too!
BelleJournee

Postby äirly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:28 pm

My understanding is that there isn't any way other than surgery to get rid of stretch marks - however using vitamin E, bio oil etc will increasee skins elasticisity and prevent new ones from forming.

Stretch marks do fade over time, I had quite bad ones (redn and purple) on my breasts as I 'grew' quickly as a teenager, but now they are barely noticeable - you can only see them up close and in certain lights.

If you are losing a significant amount of weight than I would absoutely keep up with the bio oil etc, as it may mean preventing new ones forming, as you can get stretch marks either way (my rudimentary understanding is that it is skin that can't keep up with the body underneath - either putting on weight (or height) or losing weight rapidly).
HW: 84kgs (2011) got down to 67kgs (2012)
SW: 74kgs - (2013) post baby!
CW: 68kgs (Updated 6 May 2014)
GW: 62-64kgs (size 10)
äirly

Postby niksta » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:38 pm

I have been moisturising a few times a week and I think it's got vitamin E in it. I tried Bio Oil but never saw a difference so stopped using it. Im hoping that as I lose some weight, they won't look so bad. If they fade a little, that'd be ok.. I guess its not like I walk down town nude or anything lol
niksta

Postby äirly » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:22 pm

i have heard good things about bio oil, and one of my girlfriends used it durng her pregnancy and was happy with the results (i believe she got very few, and she did stack on quite a few kgs) - but like most of these type of things milege will vary - unfortunately a lot of it is genetics, and some people are more prone to getting them than others! (I think I'm in the more likely to get them pile unfortunately! :roll: )
äirly

Postby jessmeow » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi there,

I have the same problem with stretch marks. Bleck. They're annoying but like you said I don't go strolling around town nude either lol

Palmer's body creams have several that are supposed to be good for stretch marks. A friend used the Cocoa Butter with Vitamin E cream during pregnancys and she never got marks. Another is Palmer's Cocoa Butter for stretch marks with elastin. I have both but I haven't tried them for a very long time. At the moment I'm trying Nivea Firming body lotion because of my weight loss but I'm not sure if that will have any effect on stretch marks.. All those are available at woolies/coles/kmart etc for about $10 or $15. Some chemists have little sample size bottle of Palmer's too for around $2.
Some fake tans can hide them as well apparently. But if you go to dark they stand out more I've heard! Very annoying! lol

At least you know you aren't alone huh! Good luck Please let me know if you find anything works well for them!
jessmeow

Postby Shay » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:26 pm

I want to know too! I just had a baby and my tummy looks like its been slashed by Freddy Kreuger :(
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby Trajac » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:22 pm

I have a crepe paper belly too (well did I had it fixed with surgery) but a non surgical fix is get a tan (fake bake it of course it's much healthier to do it that way) and it can minimise the look of the crepe paper ;)

I found all the lotions and potions did nothing for me (works for some I guess not for others).
Trajac

Postby mum2james » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:33 am

After having a baby I was left with red/purple stretch marks. I used Palmers creams during my pregnancy but it didn't stop them. My skin is very pale and sensitive so I don't think it would've mattered what I used. :-p
They have completely faded now to clear lines which I'm comfortable with :-). When I started losing weight I began rubbing bio oil into them. I still use it twice a day. You have to use it reguarly to see results. As I lost weight and my skin loosened they began to fade also :-)
Stacey - 25 and mum to a beautiful 5 year old boy. :-)

Current weight: 76kg
Goal Weight: 70kg
mum2james

Postby niksta » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys :) I bought some Palmer's products before.. They smell soooo good.. :) Atm Im just using a moisturiser with Vitamin E. It's not a 'No Name' Brand, neither an expensive brand.. Somewhere in between.. I haven't noticed a difference in the marks.. but my skin is nice and smooth lol.. Maybe its because I look at them everyday and don't see a difference :( But I'll have to try a couple.. (not all at the same time. but trial them)
niksta

Postby snappy1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:01 am

Have you tried to remove stretch mark through natural home remedies? Using cocoa butter on the area helps to moisturize the skin and reduce stretch marks. A mixture of aloe vera and lemon juice is also very effective in removing the marks. Whether you choose to use these home remedies or plan to go with the commercially available cream, it is advisable to couple it with exercise. Exercise helps to tone muscles and smooth out the stretch marks. All the best. :)
snappy1

Postby niksta » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:36 pm

No I haven't tried natural remedies.. Just tried moisturises etc.. But I am being real slack lately and havent used any creams. :(
niksta

Postby RachB » Wed May 04, 2011 10:04 am

Hi all,

During all 3 of my pregnancy's I used cold pressed almond oil with a few drops of mandarin oil and I never got one stretch mark :P but you have to rub your bully with it 2 times a day so morning and night, and the smell is really nice to :o

Hope this helps someone :)

Rach
RachB

Postby äirly » Fri May 06, 2011 1:07 am

Hmm interesting tip, thanks Rach... it sounds like it would smell quite yummy :)
äirly

Postby äirly » Fri May 06, 2011 1:09 am

Opps, posted early. Was about to say, although I find it very messy and a pain to apply, the Palmers brand of coco skin oil smells divine - like chocolate!!
äirly

Next

Return to Just Chatting