It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 am

Free Newsletter

Is home cooking a lost tradition

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Is home cooking a lost tradition

Postby lindtcrazy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:53 pm

I am becoming aware that not many families cook dinner and my sister in law confirmed my thoughts about this. Is this a dying tradition? I would hope not. I assumed the past three masterchefs would of inspired and tantalised taste buds all over the country.

My sons's girlfriend's family had fish and chips nearly 4 times every week and there was nothing in the pantry. His previous girlfriend's family would do bolganese with mince spaghetti and condensed tomato soup and that was all the ingredients, that was one of their specialities and every other meal came from a box. I'm not being bee och, I am simply amazed and find it hard to believe. My neices friends families dont cook either. I hope the tradition doesnt die, would be a shame. Just as well Jamie Oliver's ministry of food is coming to our country and shake things up a bit. I love the challenge of cooking up a storm. I understand it is not every ones forte, but still, even a quick stir fry is delish yummo.

I just assumed every one was a budding chef, I could think of nothing worse than not creating my own sensations in the kitchen, but each to his own I guess.
lindtcrazy

Re: Is home cooking a lost tradition

Postby brendan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Despite my dad telling me not to play with my food as a child, as an adult I have learned to play play with the food in the kitchen. I rarely follow a recipe - I treat cooking as a creative art rather than a science experiment. I have had no training in the culinary arts, but find it comes naturally. You instinctively know that one flavour should go well with another - and if it doesn't work, you don't do it again.
I don't eat ice cream anymore, but, when I did, I found that sweet chilli sauce goes well with vanilla (and probably chocolate) ice cream. You just need to experiment, and don't discount anything till you've tried it.
Cooking shouldn't be stressful - it should be fun!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:22 pm

I cook pretty much 95% of our meals. Going out is a special occasion. I'm also a creative cook and the hubby loves the fact that I can "make food out of nothing". :roll: He, on the other hand is one of those "has to be done by the recipe" types and it drives me batty! :lol:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby niksta » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:39 pm

I still live with my parents (until next year).. We cook at home, only every now and then will we get pizza or chinese or fish and chips (its like once a month we get take away).. However, a couple years ago we went through a stage of eating take away almost every night for the convience and it was disgusting! I got so sick of it.. I dont know how people can do it every night.
Sometimes I will cook Meatballs with Fetticine (the flat spaghetti noodles lol)-making the meatballs from stratch with grated carrot, grated zuccini, chopped garlic, egg, breakcrumbs etc etc.. or Home make Lasagne but instead of using the sheets we cook up spiral noodles and layer them where the sheets should be..I do the shopping for home and I find its cheaper to cook at home then to go out..
There are heaps of possiblities..And I agree with Brendan-ppl should be creative with food
niksta

Postby Carley » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Because we are vegan I cook about 99% of our meals. Why buy it if I make make cheaper, healthier and yummier at home?
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

Postby Metalcharm » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:26 pm

I live over 250kms fron the nearest restaurant or take out place .... I have to cook everything or go hungry :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Return to Just Chatting