It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:04 pm

Free Newsletter

to bake or not to bake?? that is the question

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

to bake or not to bake?? that is the question

Postby Never looking back » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi everyone,

Im going to sounds crazy but ive been in two minds all day... to bake or not to bake??
I've been flicking through recipe books, looking for a new recipe for me to try BUT.... at the same time i think to myself...no i'll get tempted to lick the spoon or bowl or have a little piece or whatever! and then that may trigger me to feel like sweets the next few days!

I love cooking its one of my hobbies, i like trying to new recipes, practising different techniques...but is this worth the risk?

Im also thinking that my urge to cook something is me 'unconsciously' sabotaging my weightloss, cause i feel that i would be strong enough to resist, but at the same time cant be 100% sure....Oh dear i sound crazy! i swear im not.

How do i satisfy my cooking passion without jepardising my weightloss?? (im on lite n easy at the moment)

Is there anyone out there who has the same dilemma..?

Cheers

Ps. i've decided not to cook... keeping my self busy by reading this forum!
Never looking back

Re: to bake or not to bake?? that is the question

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Too late... but, if you really must bake, bake something that is portion limited and as healthy as possible. And maybe something that will freeze well so you can portion it up then freeze - makes it hard to mindlessly snack if you have to defrost :wink:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby chunky_monkey86 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:18 am

You know how lite n easy has those puddings maybe you could bake something with the same caleries and replace it every now and then. I no longer need the order the deserts because im too full on lite n easy but just an idea. I once enjoyed cooking to. If I really want to cook I will cook just after lunch for my boyfriend or guests because I have the afternoon snack to fill me up and that way I do not miss out. Just a thought :D
Truth
Trust
Time
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wd0EkbC/]
    chunky_monkey86

Postby Never looking back » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Good idea. Might try that.

Chunky monkey - Are you talking about the deserts you order as an extra?
    I've always just ordered the regular 7 day breakfast, lunch dinner plan. But its good that sometimes the snacks they provide are yummy sweet deserts.
    Never looking back

Postby SmittenKitten » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:53 pm

I bake all the time! I often bake very bad things & take them to work or give them to my Husband to take to work. I also make yummy healthy treats by swapping a few ingredients.

I made a mango & lime cheesecake, cut it into slices then froze it. If I am tempted I still have a good 45minutes to wait!

If you have no issues with artificial sweetners you can use an artificial sugar, like equal (the granules not the tablets), instead of castor/white sugar. You can swap cooking butter with low cal margarine & full cream milk with skim, use wholemeal flour instead of plain.

You can make meringues which are only a few calories each (depending on size) by beating 2 egg whites with 1/2 cup of castor sugar & a few drops of vanilla essence. Use my "equal" tip & it will have even less calories.

I recommend most diabetic cook books as they're often low calorie & low fat as they are lower in sugar. Also look for recipes with lots of healthier ingredients, museli, oats, fruit & nuts are great. If you mix them with honey & wholemeal flours etc you an get quite a nutritious treat!

Look at the portion size carefully, if the recipe says it makes 12 muffins but you make 6 mega muffins it will have twice the calories & fat than stated.

Precutting a round cake into slices also helps, if you have a cake that you used to cut into 8 or 10 try cutting it into 12 or 14 slices. Most people are happy with "one slice" no matter what the size.

Another tip is to make something like a chocolate cake exchanging some or all of the ingredients as above & instead of making a frosting serve it warm with a small scoop of low-fat/cal vanilla ice cream.

At the end of the day though sometimes you have to treat yourself, If I really want cake I'll plan a long jog or just a light salad for lunch. I realise this means I don't always give my body perfect nutrients but sometimes I need a treat and just want to limit the damage!
    SmittenKitten

Postby MatthewHarwell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:55 am

EASY!
    Open up a bakery ! Hire a professional trainer and give him a job in the bakery to look over your sholder! :lol:
    -this way you earn money by doing what you love and loosing weight at the same time :lol: :lol: :lol:

No seriously - bake something with as little calories as possible, so if you do eat it, there is no harm :wink:
    Last edited by Butterfly_Dawn on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: link in signature removed
    MatthewHarwell

Postby äirly » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:34 am

Well considering the time thats elapsed since the original post I'm sure this isn't relevant! But I will say that whenever I get a hankering to bake up some treats its usually really the treats I'm after, however much I fool myself that I really just want to cook :wink:
    HW: 84kgs (2011) got down to 67kgs (2012)
    SW: 74kgs - (2013) post baby!
    CW: 68kgs (Updated 6 May 2014)
    GW: 62-64kgs (size 10)
    äirly

Return to Just Chatting