It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:50 am

Free Newsletter

What Size Are We Really?

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

What Size Are We Really?

Postby Lilly88 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:41 pm

How would anyone really know what size they are.
None of the shops carry the same sizes, a size 12 in one shop could be equal to a size 8 in another, a size 18 equal to a 14.
I went shopping the other day and had to buy a 2XL when in most clothes I'm a 14. :(
The marked sizes on the clothes now a days means nothing.
Is there any regulations for sizing in clothes?

I DON'T THINK SO :?
I am always looking for ways to keep my weight down. check out my blog http://www.ideasforweightloss.blogspot.com & http://www.squidoo.com/tips-for-dieting-and-eating-out
Lilly88

Re: What Size Are We Really?

Postby dragonfly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:07 am

you are very correct in saying sizes dont match from store to store.
I find it frustrating when buying clothes especially online, and when buying jeans, sometimes a 28 doesnt fit, but a 24 does from another brand.
I have some brand new online bought jeans which are wrong shape for me, and I need to ebay them.
women have different body shapes, apple, pear and the matchstick, so sometimes even tho two ladies might be same height, same weight, one wears a 12 and the other a 18.
can get very hard to know what to buy. I think many people tend to stick to their favourite shops as they know the sizing there, as what I do. I would say kmart is a smaller cut then say target, in my opinion.
I think people also have alot of clothes, maybe 50% in their warddrobe that dont even fit, that they keep for the *one day* and hope they might fit one day.
I wish there was a national sizing guide, where they get a broad range of women, and make clothes to fit as standard.
but another point to consider is how you wear your clothes.... again, 2 women, same weight and height, might wear different sizes as one prefers her clothes long and loose, the other likes them tight and showing muffin tops etc.
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby Mr.White » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:59 pm

That cant be true , there is a standard of the sizes defined . i think that is related to inches or something else but thing you said different in different stores . Cant be true .
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam link in signature removed
Mr.White

Postby Metalcharm » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm afraid it is Mr White.
I currently wear a size 8 in adidas workout shorts that are not tight at all and I have a pair of wrangler jeans that are a 14. Now those jeans are on the edge of fitting properly and are getting on the loose side but they do still just fit. That's a lot of range there. It really does seem that different clothes have different sizes.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Lilly88 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Sorry Mr White but there is a difference.
Perhaps not so much in the mens area of clothing but definitely in womens.
Supre clothes are a lot smaller than say target clothes, everybody knows that.
So over clothes shopping, should make my own. (HUH) :lol:
I am always looking for ways to keep my weight down. check out my blog http://www.ideasforweightloss.blogspot.com & http://www.squidoo.com/tips-for-dieting-and-eating-out
Lilly88

Postby äirly » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:25 am

I wish I had that option - I would LOVE to have the skill to make my own clothes!
HW: 84kgs (2011) got down to 67kgs (2012)
SW: 74kgs - (2013) post baby!
CW: 68kgs (Updated 6 May 2014)
GW: 62-64kgs (size 10)
äirly

Postby äirly » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:31 am

Oh and regarding the topic at hand, I do find that there is a variation between shops but I don't think its that significant. I'm generally a size 12, sometimes I might wear a 10 or 14 but it certainly doesn't flucuate more than that, and even then I think its more to do more with the cut of the garment. For example I think that now I've lost some weight I could fit in to size 10 ok (if not elegantly!) however I've fairly large bust size and often this is where items will not fit/cover correctly. Someone the same height/weight as me may be able to fit in to different sizes depending on where everything is distributed however.

Also, Supre for example have 'tight' clothes on purpose to appeal to people that wear tight clothes. Do remember if you purchase items online sometimes they'll be in UK or USA sizing, which is different to ours.
HW: 84kgs (2011) got down to 67kgs (2012)
SW: 74kgs - (2013) post baby!
CW: 68kgs (Updated 6 May 2014)
GW: 62-64kgs (size 10)
äirly

Return to Just Chatting