It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:29 am

Free Newsletter

You're Never Too Old

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

You're Never Too Old

Postby CronicBadger » Sun May 01, 2011 5:17 pm

I was at a seminar today and during a break four of us attendees drew together to compare diet and fitness notes, as we'd all lost significant amounts of weight over the past year.

What was particularly interesting was that two of our group were of mature years - well into their seventies - and had taken up new activities along with a change from, shall we say, gross corpulence to relative leanness.

I'd at first wondered if disease had thinned these two people since last time I'd seen them they'd been rather solidly built, but it turned out they had both decided to take control of their lives and get fit and healthy regardless of their advanced years. It just goes to show that you're never too old to change.

Re: You're Never Too Old

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed May 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Proving once and for all that old dogs CAN learn new tricks :wink:

Seriously though, people often find more incentive to make those changes as they age. For a start, you own mortality tends to become more salient and you start noticing the long term effects of (as you put it) "gross corpulence" (e.g. high blood pressure, heart disease, cerebrovascular changes, diabetes etc) that as a young or middle age person might seem so far away.

The other thing is that many of the obstacles start being less of a problem (retirement means you can focus more on yourself, less stress, more time to cook well, kids and the demands thereof might have left home etc)

But on the other hand, with age comes habit and they can be hard to change.

Either way though it's a good idea to make the change, no matter what age you are! Good on them!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Amelia13 » Sat May 28, 2011 6:53 pm

That's a great story: Glad to hear it will get easier :) Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Amelia
You become what you think. If you're not getting the weight loss results you want, practice more positive self-talk and think yourself thin!

Postby ladysophie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:35 pm

Old age is a state of mind! A great example of this is my grandmother, not letting age get in her way she always looking for a new and exciting activites to take up, she recently took up tai chi and she has inspired me to do it as well.

Postby narcissa » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:46 pm

Keep you heart fresh,we are old,that's right,in our minds,we are forever young.
Last edited by CronicBadger on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spammy sig deleted. Please don't try to advertise commercial websites in your sig. It won't work.

Postby conanedo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:47 pm

nice story Cronic
i think whenever you have a goal you will always keep motivated feel young
Last edited by CronicBadger on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commercial link.

Postby Lilly88 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:48 pm

It is true that you are never to old to change and I sure do say this to myself a lot. My grandma was in her 80's and she would walk everywhere, didn't have an ounce of fat on her.
This summer I have decided that I am going to do just that, change my eating habits and try and banish the bad habits that have been with me nearly all my life.
I am always looking for ways to keep my weight down. check out my blog &

Postby MBilbally » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:26 pm

My mother was kind of a pudge until she was in her 60s, then she started mountain-climbing. I still have a picture of her with a big grin on her face and a helmet on her head rapelling down a cliff face. It's a great shot. I think we may find today's young people, who have an epidemic of obesity and are glued to electronic devices all day long, getting more active and more fit in middle age and as they get old, to compensate for what they did as kids. I wonder, too, what they'll do about their own kids, because everyone raises kids the opposite of what they had.

Return to Just Chatting