It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:41 pm

Free Newsletter

A bit pissed off

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:26 pm

there does seem to be such a focus on WOMEN in relation to whether they choose to work or have babies. Personally I don't think emancipation of women can occuur without the corresponding emancipation of men - that is, when it is equally as acceptable for a man to be the stay at home carer rather than eliciting the response "is he a bludger or something? how come HE's not the breadwinner? He must be a bit of a nancy". Also, the role of carer/housekeeper needs to be valued a lot more.

A workmate told me the story of living in South Africa as a child.. They always had a maid who they paid the going rate and her mum was always praising the maids work which she said was definitely worth the wage they carefully budgetted for. it wasn't until my workmate was grown up that her mother revealed that she was the housekeeper - very clever woman

And if that guy thinks women who don't want childrne are more fun, he should meet me. I never wanted kids, but even as a teenager I was described as 13 going on 40. I would debate the politics/legalities of school rules with grade co-ordinators, have strict moral/ethical objections to nominating myself for student council (if I was worthy, someone else would nominate me) and actually chose academic topics for free choice activities!!!

Even now I am a rule follower, rarely drink and don't particularly like going out due to the loud music and idiotic drunk people. And I'm 24.

But even though I am a bit of a tee-totaller, I have my own quirky sense of humour, and love a range of activities that make me a good friend of a number of people. The same goes for any person.

Anyway, that's my meandering response over.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby carla » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:11 pm

I agree with you in regards to men being allowed the right to stay home and raise children if they want to. And about the housekeeping role being valued more highly! The skills required to run a household *properly* are manifold, in my opinion. This is actually something I have never been 'naturally' good at myself.

I am a bit confused about the story involving your South African friend, Butterfly. Do you mean the mother of your friend (not the maid's mother) revealed that infact she had been the one doing all the housework?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3O213/]
[/url]
carla

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:54 pm

yep, it was my friends mother, pretending there was a maid and paying herself for the work done. I wasn't in the most clear-minded mood the other day hey.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:29 am

I wonder why she hid the fact that she was the housekeeper. That would have been really difficult to do i would assume! A few months ago I told the kids we were getting a cleaner and they had to have their rooms tidy for her. That day I went and did what I would have paid a cleaner to do in the 2 hours. They soon figured it out that it was me tho!!! But it made them be a bit more careful with their stuff, making sure they picked it up etc. When I am houseworking, I tend to set myself a time limit and say right I will just go for it for those 2 hours or whatever it may be. Cos if you were paying a cleaner she is gonna walk out whether it is done after the 2 hours if that is all you are paying for. That's how I figure it anyway!! And it works well. I crank the music up and just get going. A list always works well for me as well. No standing there and thinking ok what job next!

And yes there is that attitude with society that men who stay home to look after the children are bludgers. And to a certain extent the same attitude with women that don't work when their kids are older. Society has too much emphasis on earning lots of money and having the flash house full of expensive appliances and the flash cars with all the fruit. That is why household debt is spiralling out of control. Society dictates too much about what we should have!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Previous

Return to Just Chatting