It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Belinda Emmett loses battle with cancer

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Kylie » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:43 pm

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=161157

Saturday Nov 11 16:28 AEDT

Much loved Australian actor Belinda Emmett has lost her battle with cancer, dying at the age of 32.

She died at Sydney's St Vincent's Hospital shortly after dawn with her husband, television host Rove McManus, and her family by her side.

"It is with great sadness we advise that Belinda Emmett's battle with cancer has ended," her family said in a statement.

"Belinda passed away just after dawn Saturday morning at St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney with her family and husband by her side."

Diagnosed with breast cancer in 1998, at the age of 24, the actor successfully underwent surgery to remove the malignant tumour, followed by six weeks of radiotherapy.

After a period in remission, Emmett was diagnosed with secondary bone cancer in 2001, while playing nurse Jodi Horner on the Seven Network's hospital drama All Saints.

A spokesman for St Vincent's Hospital refused to say how long Emmett was being treated at the hospital before she died, saying the family had left the premises before 7am (AEDT) Saturday.

"As you can imagine, they are very distressed," a hospital spokesman told a large contingency of media gathered outside the hospital.

Emmett and McManus were regarded as television's golden couple, meeting at the opening of Fox Studios in Sydney in 1999.

They became engaged in July 2004 and married in January 2005, at Mary Immaculate Church in Waverley, in Sydney's east.

"We're kindred spirits," Emmett told a newspaper at the time.

McManus cancelled the upcoming episode of his TV show Rove Live, with the Ten Network issuing a statement saying it was not sure when the show would return.

"Ten will give Rove the time he needs away from the show and any support we can during this very sad time," Ten said.
Kylie

Postby Fairie » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:38 pm

She was so young to have suffered so much, my thoughts are with her family. :cry:
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Dolly » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:51 pm

Oh my goodness, how absolutley sad.
Thanks for letting us know Kylie.
Dolly

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:06 pm

aw thats so sad. i only just found out by reading that thanks kylie. its sad because it was like 6 degrees of separation with belinda emmett and rove. her family come from the coast where live and belinda worked at a shop in the shopping centre my brother manages years ago whilst she was at school up here on the coast and her and rove were regular customers at the shopping centre. my brother said about 2 years ago that the cancer had spread to her bones or something like that- because he knew a friend of belindas family.

anyway its very sad. theyre very much in love.
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:05 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I just found out a couple of hours ago... I was listening to the news on the tv after getting home from work. How sad :shock: I feel bad for Rove! He is going to remember Rememberance Day every year....

She was only two years older than me :(
SarahC

Postby Ally » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:56 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with Rove and Belinda's family. She fought hard to the end!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:49 am

That is very sad and she was so young. Treasure every second you have.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Dolly » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:19 am

Not only did we lose our beautiful singer/actress Belinda Emmett (from Home & Away and All Saints)
but 2 other famous actors also sadly passed away this weekend.

Jack Palance (from the movie Shane and City Slickers)

and Diana Coupland (Bless this House and EastEnders)

It was a sad Remembrance Day weekend indeed.
Dolly

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:52 am

i dont know of diana coupland but i remember jack palance in city slickers, thats sad. and they just said that sophie delezio has bleeding on the brain too.
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:20 am

Oh dear that is just sad about the other 2 actors. Has there been any more news on Sophie Kate?? That gorgeous little girl has been through so much, this is the last thing she needs!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:10 pm

The family of five-year-old Sophie Delezio - recovering from injuries sustained in two separate crashes - has rejected reports she is facing a life-threatening condition involving bleeding on the brain.

A statement from the family says the New Idea article has been misquoted by some media.

In the article, Ron Delezio describes the bleeding on the brain that Sophie suffered after the second crash as a serious problem that could flare up when his daughter is older.

"The family's statement says the misreporting of the story has caused widespread distress.

The statement says: "The family of Sophie Delezio wish to advise that their daughter is not, as has been erroneously suggested in the media this morning, currently suffering from bleeding on the brain and is in no immediate danger whatsoever.

"A story published in the current issue of New Idea correctly asserts that after Sophie's second accident she did suffer from bleeding on the brain and that the condition may reoccur in future, however, nowhere in the article does it say she is currently suffering from the condition. Sophie's father Ron is quoted as saying "It is a serious problem that may flare up when she is older''.

"The journalist from another media agency unrelated to New Idea and responsible for the erroneous and damaging article needs to check his or her facts more clearly in future and, when drawing upon other people's stories, research their material more thoroughly. The story has caused considerable stress to the Delezio family, their friends and the whole of Australia who once again were plunged into despair at the thought of Sophie facing death for a third time.

"The family wishes to thank everyone for their calls and emails and is sorry that this miscommunication has caused widespread distress."

Sophie received near-fatal injuries when she was hit by a car while being pushed in a stroller across a pedestrian crossing at Seaforth.

It was her second serious accident in three years.

Mr Delezio said doctors had told the family her brain injuries could flare up when she was older.

"Sophie is less attentive than before the accident, she gets tired more easily and she has lost weight, muscle tone and mobility, but the brain injury is what really worries us," he is quoted as saying in New Idea magazine, published today.

"She was tested before the accident as a matter of course, so we had the level of brain activity.

"After the second accident, we tested her and found this level had dropped."

Sophie was thrown 20 metres by the car that hit her in May. She spent almost five weeks in hospital recovering from a serious lung injury and fractures to her spine, ribs, jaw and collarbone.

She was still recuperating from an accident in 2003 in which a car driver suffered a seizure and ploughed into her child-care centre in Fairlight.

Last month, the elderly driver who hit Sophie on the pedestrian crossing was disqualified from driving for a year and put on an 18-month good behaviour bond.

smh.com.au and AAP
kate_turner2000

Postby Dolly » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:44 pm

Trust the New Idea reporters to make up yet another story to make sales :roll:
Dolly

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:16 pm

Such a sad weekend huh guys . Like KimE said treasure everymoment
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby yummymummy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:25 am

RIP belinda, love and strength to her family and loved ones
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Hayley » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:37 am

I really feel for Rove and the family. How difficult that must be for them. Belinda and Rove were sole mates and were so obviously in love. He must be so lost without her. I read the paper this mornign, which told about her funeral on Friaday and I cried cos it said that Rove will not be speaking at the service. I cried because it's so sad; I cried because Rove has never been one who is lost for words etc (so he's absolutely crushed/heartbroken); and I cried because it made me think that if it was my husband, I'd be the same - I wouldn't be able to talk at the service and I would be lost without him. It's so very sad, life is so unfair at times!

LOVE AND WISHES TO ROVE AND THE FAMILY xxx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Next

Return to Just Chatting