It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Free Newsletter

Feeling pretty low...

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Feeling pretty low...

Postby tiaflower » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:34 am

Hi all, not sure if any of you may have this or not...
I feel awful.
Even though I've lost 16kgs so far this year, (30 kilos all together from my highest weight)...
But my self esteem feels the worst it has ever been.
I feel ugly, horrible and even bigger than ever. I know that's not true (bigger than ever thing). But I just find it so irritating. Why can't I be happier and more confident like every one else I know who has lost weight (or in the process of).
I feel afraid to try out new clothes, all i want to do is hide my big trackies and a loose jumper.
Each time anyone that has come up to me and complimented me, I honestly feel like crying. I know that mentally, im not the best ( I am still in recovery from an eating disorder).
I guess alot of the awful mentality from that has stuck around. Its been incredibly hard to maintain a slow healthy weight loss. And I guess the fact that alot of people I know are losing weight fast and looking incredible.. Where I know that even when i technically lose the weight, I'll still be ugly... :(
I know this has sounded incredibly attention seeking or self indulgent. But I know that I cannot be the only one who feels this way when they have lost weight or losing it?
I guess I would feel a little better knowing that im not the only one struggling.
tiaflower

Re: Feeling pretty low...

Postby newyork » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi Tiaflower,

I'm sorry to see you are feeling this way. I can relate to a lot of what you are feeling. I have so far lost 22kg, with a 3-5kg to go, over 2 yrs. It has been slow going, which can play with your mind as you know that slow weight loss is more sustainable, but can also be a downer when you get on the scales and they are hardly budging. This has lead to many binges over the last 2 years for me, and it's always hard to come out of them. It was hard to take compliments when I first started losing, but now they don't worry me at all. My biggest problem would be that I look down and can not see a difference in how I look. I know the weights gone, and people mean it when they say it, but I just can't see it. I go into a store and still pick up sizes too big for me, and when the shop asisstants offer a size 8/10, I just can't believe it. I'm not sure I will ever look down and be completely happy with myself. One difference we have is that I have loved being able to wear things I could only dream of 2 years ago. Seriously, I could try on clothes forever! I wish you could feel this way aswell, because it's a real motivator. It's easy for me to say you should never tell yourself your ugly, but I know we all have those days. If this is how you feel all the time, maybe you should do some work on your self esteem with either a counsellor, a book or even try a makeover. Spend some well deserved time and money on yourself- new hair style, have a makeup lesson at MAC ( I did this! ), get a manicure, even a new perfume. I did all this and it worked wonders, as I was still getting around in trackies and hoodies ALL the time.
I hope some of this helps! :)
newyork

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi Tiaflower

I've hit s bit of a wall too. So far this year I've lost only 8 Kg. Unfortunately I got a bit slack this year and have been eating a bit more than I should. What's getting me down is not the slow rate of loss, but the growing realisation that the past overeating that made me fat was just a symptom of other problems. But I ignored those problems because I was concentrating on being miserable about being fat. Arrrgh.

So my expectation of everything turning out great when I got thin (or close to it) has not been realised. Once this job is done I have a bunch of other improvements to make. However, once I've finished losing weight and becoming healthy it WILL mean that there's one less issue to worry about and use as an excuse to hold me back from enjoying life.
CronicBadger

Postby conanedo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:38 pm

you already lose weight pretty much you must proud of yourself, i never see people get uglier when lose weight, it always more pretty or handsome, trust me :D
Last edited by CronicBadger on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commercial link.
conanedo

Postby Lighterfasterfocused » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi Taiflower,

Your going through a transformation and you've had success. we all have doubts but keep looking at the positives and stay on track. Why not treat yourself to a bit of pampering and concentrate on your wins.
Lighterfasterfocused

Postby Phat-Beth » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:57 pm

I do try to stay positive, but I will admit that the last leg of weight loss is really hard :/ I think it's normal to feel impatient (especially with all the hard work you've put in!), but don't let it get you down - you'll get there!

Beth
[
Phat-Beth

Postby Colleen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:29 am

I try to stay positive too. But its not easy when you are looking at the scales and you have put on .7kg in a week.
That is with walking 3 times a day and just starting aerobics and muscle toning exercises.

I am keeping focused on getting down to a size 10. I'm currently a size 14. I was averaging a weight loss of .5kg this month. That is until this week.

What do you think is the problem? I did eat a lemon tart this week that wasn't on my 1200 calorie diet. But I don't think it would make that much difference.

Any advise? Has this happened to you?

Cheers
Colleen

Postby Colleen » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:33 am

Feeling better:-) I lost 800 grams this week and have set myself the goal of loosing another 800grams next week.
I'm enjoying the nightly walk with my husband the time goes faster with company.

He is really supportive of my weight loss and encourages me to keep up with my exercises as well.

Hope everyone else has a good week next week.

Cheers
Colleen

Postby CronicBadger » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi Colleen

Don't worry about dramatic rises in weight in short periods. It's extremely difficult for a person to add half a kilo of fat to their body in a week - most likely it's just water weight, part of the body's natural weight fluctuation.
CronicBadger

Return to Just Chatting