It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:20 pm

Free Newsletter

Am starting to feel down and wonder why I bother?!

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Am starting to feel down and wonder why I bother?!

Postby apanda » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:31 am

Ok- so a bit about me. I was told a few years ago that if I don't lose weight by the time I am 40 then I will have diabetes. I also found out last year that I am low in iron, I have PCOS (but not the one with cysts on ovaries) and was basically told that my hormones are completely out of whack and the only way for me to fall pregnant is to lose weight.

So - why am I still struggling?

I have always wanted to have kids and have never wanted anything more - and then I get told that I need to lose weight for this to happen and I am still overweight.

My sister-in-law was the same - she got told that the only way for her to have kids was to lose weight and now I have 2 beautiful nephews.

So if she can do it, then why can't I?

I feel like I am not meant to be a mum because I am not losing the weight that I need to lose to have the family that my husband and I want.

Sorry for the negative post but just needed to get this off my chest.

Re: Am starting to feel down and wonder why I bother?!

Postby SugarandSpice » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:20 pm

hey apanda,

doesn't PCOS make it more difficult to lose weight??

What have you been doing as far as eating and exercise??

I know it is hard but try not to compare yourself to others - we are all different and will lose weight etc differently...

Have you tried counselling at all - maybe that could help also?

What about breaking it all down into small goals and only focussing on that goal at a time?

Created by - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Postby Retire_The_Fat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:10 pm

I agree with Vicki about not comparing yourself with others and the possibility of counselling.

If you can get some counselling you can use the counsellor as a support person.

Has your GP offered any help/support?

Currently: 93.9K
Start of challenge: 98.6
①97K: ②96.6K: ③96.3: ④95.6:⑤96.1:
⑥94.5: ⑦94.3: ⑧ 93.9: ⑨: ⑩:⑪: ⑫:
Pledge for week 10: NO excuses!

Postby Mayden » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:46 am

You sound like you are suffering a bit of depression as well to me, I would talk to your doctor, if he/she does not give you any help or support, find another one. The stress of wanting a baby and not being able to is enough to get anyone down.

Yes you do need to lose weight so you can have a baby, but I guess you are also scared that what if you do lose the weight and you still do not fall pregnant.

Start to look around at IVF as well, I do not know what is available in WA but in NSW you can go private, semi private, like in a public hospital with about 4 doctors, ($1400) and fully medicare funded but about a 3 year wait.

Come and chat to us every day, I mainly go in the challenge or personal progress section. Since I have started counting those calories, my weight has been going down every day, something I said I would not do at the beginning.

I really feel for you, I tired for 3 years to have my daughter, said it took that long to get perfection LOL My daughter has also been through this, not the weight problem but losing babies and then not being able to fall, she went really downhill mentally. Now we have a little one due in August, so there is always hope you just have to keep going, one step at a time.
30th April 77 Kilos I am so determined to get to this goal
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos

Postby apanda » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:20 am

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the support.

I try and talk to my mum and my sister-in-law - they both had problems falling pregnant - my mum and my grandmother both had PCOS as well. And they always say that they know what I am going through, but quickly add on, but not to the extent that I am going through.

Yes - PCOS can make it difficult to lose weight.

And yes, Mayden - I am scared that if I lose weight, I may still not be able to fall pregnant.

But I guess that is one thing that I am just going to have to deal with when and if I get there.

I appreciate being able to come somewhere and talk about things.

Thank you

Postby journeyto80 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:18 am

I really do feel for you. When you get stuck in a rut it is hard to get out. I have had all those mind games and the "why do i bother, is my life really that bad at the moment". What i have realised though is I dont have the willpower on my own, and i find it so easy to give up. So i have found a fantastic network to motivate me and to keep me focused. Id highly suggest you look into something like this.

Exercise - Group outdoor training. I go 5 days a week and i LOVE it... like LOVE it. If i miss a few days i feel low and know its because i haven't exercised. I workout with a great group of women and its similar to bootcamp but not aggressive. Look for something in your area, or get some people together and find a personal trainer. :)

Food - This is my biggest problem. I just love food, all food. So i have given up my right to choose for 5 days a week and lite n easy now takes care of it. Bit by Bit its starting to come off - the healthy way, no fads or shakes.

With the excercise and food taken care off. It takes the stress of me and stops me getting low and depressed that i am still BIG after 10 years of trying to loose weight. Now im loosing weight and it has a lot to do with my fantastic network. :) :)

Hope that helps!
Journey to 80
Start Weight:128Kg
Current Weight:125kg
Goal: 80kg
Height: 170cm
Completed: 10 week exercise challenge (gained muscle and improved on all fitness assessments)
First Goal: 10km Fun Run on June 16th, Friends Wedding June 17th.... Want to look 10kg in 10 weeks.

Return to Just Chatting