It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:50 pm

Free Newsletter

Trying Not To Preach

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Trying Not To Preach

Postby CronicBadger » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:07 pm

I wonder how many people who have been successful in losing weight and changing their lifestyle to a healthier one now see people and food around them in a different way.

Since losing 50-odd kilos and changing my food choices from woeful to pretty darn healthy I now see and react to people around me differently.

Two years ago I'd have thought nothing of seeing one pot-bellied family member regularly wolfing down fatty and salty take-away food, followed with lots of white bread with lashings of margarine, and icecream dessert. Or another snacking on half a packet of tim-tams washed down with cups of highly sugared premixed chai tea or soft drink.

But now I provide a few subtle hints, such as declaring the fat content of four scoops of icecream, or reading out the combined kilojoules of ten tim-tams.When biscuits are offered to me I decline, saying something like, "No way, there's too much sugar and fat!".

It drives me nuts though when I'm helping a friend do their shopping and half of it comprises unnecessary, unhealthy crap. I sometimes suggest alternatives, but they "don't taste as good", so my suggestions go unheeded.

Now, unlike just a few years ago, everywhere I look I see an alarming ignorance of basic health choices, and it grates, because I care so much about those around me and the damage they may be doing to their future.

Among my family and friends I'm now one of the healthiest, thinnest people. But, I suspect, also a tremendous pain in the neck. :-)
CronicBadger

Re: Trying Not To Preach

Postby admin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:04 pm

I think you get tuned into something....my one is why do people drink soft drinks, energy drinks or anysugar...diet drinks.

I cant believe when you go to the supermarket the litres of coke etc in the baskets......the can of drink with lunch.....i wince........people need to drink water........
I am consistantly telling people to drink water.

One more pet hate......watching people eat potato chips ahhhhhhh :shock:

Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Re: Trying Not To Preach

Postby Blitz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:47 pm

I must admit to feeling pretty evangelical about weight loss. I look at overweight people and wish I could help them get out of the ditch that their lives have fallen into. I've been there and realise what they are missing out on.

Went shopping yesterday and my wife had put on the list packaged macaroni and cheese and choc chip cookies. My first idea was why are we buying that rubbish? My second reaction was I'm not eating any of that junk. My third thought was the realisation that these were the reactions my healthy living wife probably had over many years about my unhealthy decisions. How the tables have turned!

The problem with quoting fat content or kilojoules is that it has no meaning to people. They are just numbers that have no relation to their lives. Deep down people don't need to be told, they know already that they should lose weight. When people told me that I should lose weight I resented it and often it would motivate me to eat more.

Each person has to come to it in their own time. They have to reach bottom and want change. We can lead only by example and be ready to help those who want to make changes in their lives.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Just Chatting