It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:04 am

Free Newsletter

Obesity: Rural versus City

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Obesity: Rural versus City

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:56 am

As if country areas Australia weren't already doing it tough, with the economy and reduced public services, there's the following report from ABC News. On the surface, it's just another reason why we should all strive to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle, but I wonder what the underlying cause is: economic, stress, access to medical information?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-21/o ... ns/4473482

"A University of Melbourne study has found many women in rural communities are being forced to choose risky birthing options because they are obese.

Associate professor Glyn Teale says the survey of more than 6,000 births in Victoria's Goulburn Valley Health area found two-thirds of women in that region were overweight or obese.

"So what that means is that now only about a third of women are entering pregnancy in a healthy weight range," he said.

"It doesn't matter whether it's through your antenatal course, through your birth process or in the first couple of months after childbirth; the risks are considerably higher for overweight or obese woman."

The research found the region is not unique and the problem is likely to be found in rural areas across Australia.
..."
CronicBadger

Re: Obesity: Rural versus City

Postby Metalcharm » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:02 pm

I thought that as no we were at about 60% obesity in adults? So really these figures aren't that different for rural communities.

I read your post yesterday and went to town today and really took notice of the women that I saw. I live about as rural as you're ever going to get.
I probably saw 15 women and maybe two of them were in a healthy weight range. That is not good at all. My husband had to see the doctor and even SHE was quite overweight.

Do you know, I was very overweight when I had a baby and not once can I remember that ever being mentioned by any doctor or women's nurse through the whole thing. I think the major concern is that there just isn't the care available in regional areas, while the care is very good anything out of the ordinary that can't be dealt with is possibly many hours away.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Return to Just Chatting