It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:16 pm

Free Newsletter

Bowel Movements....

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bowel Movements....

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:08 pm

tinkerbella wrote:what are your thoughts on laxetts?
eg ford pills??

Not sure about all laxatives, but ford pills......STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!! I suffered badly for taking them when I was younger, my body became so used having them to (let's say) functioning as it should that when I didn't take them, I'd got so bad I was hospitalised!!
It is a difficult problem, and aging doesn't help either.
My regularity is very bad, I can go for weeks but I try to drink lots, and really boost my fibre intake as much as possible when that happens.
I also try to have some "hot" chillie dishes to fire things up at times, which tends to help.
Overall though, I soooooooooooo understand where you're coming from, and where you're "not going"!!!! :oops: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby tinkerbella » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:13 pm

I will tell u something but I don't want you telling anybody DD,
I pass wind all the time and I think if I pass wind surely I should have something in there,
ive never known anybody with wind like I have....

first thing I do when I wake up,im quiet proud of them too be honest im so much better than my husband but the funny thing is they don't smell...

I just want too go every day...
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:18 pm

tinkerbella wrote:I will tell u something but I don't want you telling anybody DD,
I pass wind all the time and I think if I pass wind surely I should have something in there,
ive never known anybody with wind like I have....

first thing I do when I wake up,im quiet proud of them too be honest im so much better than my husband but the funny thing is they don't smell...

I just want too go every day...

Trust me when I say this Tink, you're not alone in that situation.
But a quote from the movie (still makes me smile today) from "The Bucket List" where Jack Nicholson explains things you should never do when you get older, and one of them being to "never trust a far"!!! :lol:
I soooooo know where you're at, and let's say, lots of noise but sadly little (or no) movement at the station?!!! :oops:
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:19 pm

fart!!!
Sorry about that..... :roll:
Never trust a fart!!!
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:10 pm

Everyone believes their own farts don't...but those privileged to be around us may have another opinion! :lol:

As for passing wind often...my wife only tonight said that I could power a small city with my efforts! :shock:

Friends of mine in their youth used laxetts and the like found the same sorts of trouble as Diva has with Ford pills. Long term use equals longer term trouble. Keep it natural...that is best.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Tams » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:42 pm

Blitz, I'm also a sceptic on many 'avenues' of 'health'. But believe it or not, the gut hypnotist thing is well respected in the medical field - it is part of the psychologist world - with a good body of literature supporting it's efficacy. A GP I know snorted at the idea until he made some calls and found out that it is a real and effective treatment for many functional bowel problems - it actually has an 80% success rate. I only know about it because it was mentioned by the world's leading professor in bowel health. And the wait list is huge - but it is supported by medicare (unlike a lot of 'charlatans'). Don't know anyone who's tried it though.

Tinkerbella, I would avoid laxatives like Ford pills. A lot can be really harsh on the body. And they treat the 'symptom' rather than helping to fix things. You'll see the packets have a disclaimer on them something along the lines of 'don't be reliant on this...see a dr'.

I'm sure you've tried some of the old fashioned remedies? Prunes. Or even prune juice these days. The not straining thing is important too, as Blitz said. Along these lines (and maybe gut hypnotherapy??) is to be relaxed about it and not stress or be anxious or impatient or frustrated. One medical programme I saw had a psychologist 'retraining' a woman's mind (she had terrible constipation following childbirth, with no physical reason), and she got her to visualise the muscles of the bowel relaxing and just doing their thing as nature intended. Apparently very successful.

The last thing I can think of - and now I'm really talking outside of any research/knowledge - is perhaps it will take a physical purge before these other remedies can start to work. I know someone who had to break the cycle with an enema designed to do this ( I think Fleet?? Ask the chemist). And i know sometimes in cats that this needs to be done!

I hope our collective thoughts can give you more paths to try!
Tams

Postby Blitz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:13 am

I'm very well read on hypnosis being one of things of special interest to someone of my profession. Many of the claims for hypnosis are exaggerated and very little is understood by the general public and general medical fraternity. It may be a part of the psychological world but little training is given over to it other than a general introduction. Don't forget...magicians and the like have been using it for far longer and have better practical understanding what it can or can't do.

There are many new alternate treatments and therapies out there that have huge wait lists (and some even approved by Medicare) that actually have little scientific data to prove their long term effectiveness. On the other hand there are effective long term treatments tested by time and science that are ignored because public squeamishness - such as using larvae to clean out gangrene wounds! Just because something is listed by Medicare doesn't mean that it is effective. Getting listed on that is often a very political or self interest group process rather than a strictly empirical one.

Kim
Blitz

Postby tinkerbella » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:26 am

Blitz wrote:Everyone believes their own farts don't...but those privileged to be around us may have another opinion! :lol:

As for passing wind often...my wife only tonight said that I could power a small city with my efforts! :shock:

Friends of mine in their youth used laxetts and the like found the same sorts of trouble as Diva has with Ford pills. Long term use equals longer term trouble. Keep it natural...that is best.

Kim

I ask my husband if my farts stink,
and he always says "no love your farts don't smell"
he says
"your farts smell like roses"
so I must be one of the lucky ones.... :shock:
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby tinkerbella » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:39 pm

my husband always goes off at me when I stop buying activia,i know it works but I sort of would rather eat something else for these two points,but I know its so good for me and gets it moving,i have too find ways too eat this everyday...

cause if im happy on the inside it will show on the outside...

this is great...
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby DD Diva » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:14 pm

Hey Tink, they you're fluffy pink socks/booties? Very nice!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby tinkerbella » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:16 pm

and my feet are inside them,its cold here this afternoon,a girls got too keep her toes warm..:-)
my husband brought them for me he was sick of cold feet on his back when we get into bed...:-)

I tell him cold feet are better than the cold shoulder ...... :shock:
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby DD Diva » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:19 pm

tinkerbella wrote:and my feet are inside them,its cold here this afternoon,a girls got too keep her toes warm..:-)
my husband brought them for me he was sick of cold feet on his back when we get into bed...:-)

I tell him cold feet are better than the cold shoulder ...... :shock:

Too true! :)
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:22 pm

tinkerbella wrote:I ask my husband if my farts stink,
and he always says "no love your farts don't smell"
he says
"your farts smell like roses"
so I must be one of the lucky ones.... :shock:

It's a very brave man - or a suicidal husband that answers a question like that from his wife with complete honesty! :wink:

Kim
ps...check the roses - they might have gone off! :lol:
Blitz

Previous

Return to Just Chatting