It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Free Newsletter

What happened here?

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

What happened here?

Postby fortyfour » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:29 am

Firstly i know this is not the right place to post this question but there are too many options and I can't see the right one.

Anyway my question is, why is this forum so dead? Clearly there was a time when this forum was popular but now i seem to be the only person posting, apart from blitz?

What went wrong?
Height - 165cm
Starting weight - 7 March 2013 - 83.6kg
weight - 21 March 2013 - 79.8kg
latest weight - 28 July 2013 - 77kg
fortyfour

Re: What happened here?

Postby Blitz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:56 pm

It cames in waves. Weigh in days can get quite busy. On holidays, Christmas and I suspect this coming Easter it can be deathly quiet here as people struggle with lifestyle choices in the real world. But this place is always open and ready to welcome back those with courage to continue the journey. :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby mishy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:19 pm

why do you care? you don't like anyone commenting on ur post anyway. :? :shock: You have been nothing but negative since u joined.
mishy

Postby CronicBadger » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Web forums ebb and flow.

I think that casual visitors - the ones who in the early days just join to ask the odd question, find what they want in the forum has been discussed already so read the relevant thread after finding it via Google. I still do this a lot - just dive into years-old discussions and read them. Fascinating stuff.

People have less time these days as well - economic times are tough, less time for people to think about things such as personal health, plus a general trend of people leaving or not joining formal social groups.

I suspect Facebook has also taken the people who would otherwise be using the forum for a mix of casual and weight-related social interaction. Facebook has perfected the drug of instant personal gratification and narcisism. Although I haven't seen any evidence, I am sure there are plenty of weight-losers who regularly post their weight-loss progress on their FaceBook page, with its promise of an instant flurry of "Likes" and "Woo Hoo, You Go Girl!" messages rather than the relatively slow responses of fellow travellers.

And some of us regulars have lessened in the number of message posts due to distractions outside the forum or have reached our goals and need the forum less, or have given up.

However, I suspect the people who now use and interact with the forum (as opposed to lurking in the background reading the articles and messages) are those dedicated souls who see the need for support from people who have gone through, or are going through, the same struggles as they are.
CronicBadger

Return to Just Chatting