It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:34 pm

Free Newsletter

Being Fat is Expensive

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Being Fat is Expensive

Postby Blitz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:04 pm

My wife came across some old receipts from a "big men's" clothing shop. I can't believe the price I paid for being so overweight!

In November 2010 I paid for two pairs of basic black dress pants $109.95 - EACH! :shock: A plain white cotton tee-shirt (6X size!) set me back $31.95, which I now can pick up from a discount store for well under $10 (small size now!)...and on sale; may be able to get two for that $10. I also picked up a leather belt for $32.95 which is reasonable if you consider how much of the cow's leather was used in the making of a belt to fit my girth. I paid for five items (including a printed tee-shirt for $59.95) - $344.75! It's not cheap being fat! :shock:

The irony in this - is that just two months later I began my adventure in weight loss and pretty soon all that stuff I got was hanging off me big time and was absolutely useless! :lol:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Re: Being Fat is Expensive

Postby admin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:43 pm

Reflection is a great thing don't you think?
It shows how much we have moved on, grown (not literally) and how wiser we are.
As time moves on we tend to forget things and even though they might be small things they make us smile :D
Its a great feeling!
Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Postby DD Diva » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:09 am

Blitz wrote:The irony in this - is that just two months later I began my adventure in weight loss and pretty soon all that stuff I got was hanging off me big time and was absolutely useless! :lol:

But what a wonderful problem to have, wouldn't you agree?! :wink: Even though it seems annoying that you had to shell out a heap of cash to buy them in the first place (and really not that long ago) the satisfaction that comes from seeing the clothes swim on you far outstrips the temporary disappointment in having to part with them. :D
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:21 pm

I tried to hang on to my old pants as long as I could knowing that my start up date was 1/1/'11 but unfortunately they didn't last the distance so I had to buy the new ones. Both my old pairs were so bad that I was in danger of being arrested for indecent exposure! :shock: Not very helpful if your job is a children's entertainer! :lol:

Still, I have my money's worth from them. I kept one of them as a great visual reminder how far I've come. Also it's a great prop for people to see what can be achieved if you want it badly enough. In the before and after section of this forum there is a picture of me standing in those gigantic pants. Another picture there is of my daughter and me each standing in one leg of those pants! 8)

Clothes shopping use to be an arduous chore to be put off as long as possible. Expensive yes - but worse - always confronting; in that each journey to the shop would rub my face to the avoided fact that yet again my weight was increasing...and that I should do something about it. What a contrast to today! I've turned into quite a clotheshorse! Always on the look out for some cheap cool gear to wear from the second hand shop (ironically all that cool stuff donated by people who could no longer fit them!).

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:01 am

What an amazing achievement! You should be very very proud. :)

I've got some way to go yet, but so far, I'm doing well. I've managed to get to double figures, dropping over 30 kilos since I started. :)

Onward and downward!!! :wink:

Cheers,
Diva
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:50 pm

You have done very well so far and getting into double digits isn't a mean feat at all. :D

With 30 kilos off you are probably in the place where you are shopping for clothes because the stuff you have is falling off you. Don't buy too expensive. During my weight loss I bought things that I only ended up wearing a few times! The second hand shops saved me a fortune! :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:26 am

Blitz wrote:During my weight loss I bought things that I only ended up wearing a few times! The second hand shops saved me a fortune! :lol:

Yep, I hear you Kim; been there a few times myself! :oops: But I wised-up pretty quickly after the first few items that I had to get rid of newly purchased items (complete with tags still on them) :( Now I like to look through ebay for "pre-owned" clothes which has saved me a bundle, but believe it or not there is still the odd occasion where even some of these have only been worn once or twice! :shock:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm

I guess you can re-donate them and look upon them as rentals! :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Postby Sarah91 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Being fat is really expensive because you have to sustain the foods you are craving for and the clothes are getting smaller as you grow bigger. That's the reason I do not want to get fat. Fat are highly sustained.
Sarah91

Return to Just Chatting