It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Free Newsletter

Wish I'd started sooner...

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Wish I'd started sooner...

Postby That Guy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:14 am

Kind've pointless line of thinking, I know...but I still think it.

You've probably seen me moaning about the place before, so I'll do it again.
I'm getting alright results now. Been attending gym with more adherance, pushing myself in the cardio area a bit more.
Still not really lifting much, I use one or two machines, no free weights. I do a seated row and some other bits and peices.

Diet could still use some fixing. Some. It's not really a huge worry. Just acknowledging.

But, I don't get puffed out any more.
My lung capacity is better. I don't feel tired as much.
I'm finally starting to see a little bit of difference, bit more chest, little less stomach. Not much. But a bit.

The wife actually noticed the change the other day, I guess that says how fond I am of walking around in states of undress, even around her...I think she walked in while I was putting a shirt on.
Show me your stomach. Hm...ok....well, I actually said I didn't really want to. Apparently "heaps" smaller. Hm, don't think so, but hey.
I realised at that point no matter how many changes I make, I will forever be wearing clothes that are too loose for me or baggy, I will make progress and people won't really see it.
I think that I've permanently knocked myself out of being proud or happy with myself.
It's hard, when you've grown doubt on you like weight...it's kind of harder to get rid of.

So today when I was at gym again, at around the point of my cycle that I start to want to give up...which is about 7-8 minutes in, somewhere between 4-5ks...and I'm seeing some 20-somethings doing what I'm
doing comparatively effortlessly (though, never for as long it seems). I'm 33.
Today, I rode 13 ks in just about 27 minutes. I cross trained for close to 2 ks. I did some resistance work, and hit the waterwheel/hand pedal thing for a minute and a half each way.
As usual, I felt tired, shaky, sore, and super hungry.
The only thing that's been on my mind since, is that for a lot of reasons, I wish I'd tried a bit earlier in life.
Figure this would have been a bit easier on me.
That Guy

Re: Wish I'd started sooner...

Postby Blitz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:13 am

You wished that you had started sooner!

I was 18/19 years old when a slight "tummy" started to set in. Right then I could have done something useful about it. The only thing I ended up doing was to start wear looser fitting clothes and wearing my t shirt out to hide the gut!

Finally, one month off my 52nd birthday, weighing in at 153.7 kilos the penny drops that it was about time to do something about my weight. Three decades of wasted time!

I'm 55 years old and I'm stronger, more fit and healthier than I've ever been. And boy!...there is a spring in my step - life is good! :D
If only I knew back then what I know now...but life is like that isn't it?
What's the old saying? Youth is wasted on the young! :lol:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby That Guy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Well yeah man, I'm glad you got your thing together...I don't know, maybe it's just that people in this country are getting a bit wiser to it, hearing that we're catching up with the states and all that in obesity.
It certainly seems that over the last decade there's certainly a developing trend to take better care.
I know that I myself will not stop. Even rode through a cramp the other day.

It's just, hard not to be kind've ?angry? at myself for it though. When I'm there feeling like my chest is going to pop and legs explode...that, I put myself in this situation.

At least I hope, that when our baby girl comes in June...that I'll be able to actually guide her responsibly, I never had that.
That Guy

Postby Blitz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Mate it will all be worth it.

I took my daughter to mini golf yesterday. Something like that would have laid me waste for days later. Now...not even a sweat drop. 8)
When you are overweight so much of life passes you by...you are a spectator observing life rather than a participant.

You are doing it at the right time...I wasted 8 years of my daughter's life giving her second best. Good work! :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby äirly » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:49 pm

I think that about lots of thing; if only I'd done this instead if that, studied harder, maintained my health better, etc. You're doing something now, so don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes we're out own worst critic!
HW: 84kgs (2011) got down to 67kgs (2012)
SW: 74kgs - (2013) post baby!
CW: 68kgs (Updated 6 May 2014)
GW: 62-64kgs (size 10)
äirly

Return to Just Chatting