It is currently Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:30 am

Free Newsletter

Real People

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Real People

Postby DD Diva » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:54 pm

After checking for any new posts, I suddenly realised how strangely quiet it is in here today, and well come to think of it, most days. It really saddens me to see:

The number of people who come here is small, and of them...
The number of who are on maintenance but who still come here, even smaller....

Nevertheless to those people (and in here, I know of only one who Blitzes that record) having lost all their weight and yet who in their goodness check in regularly to offer help/support and sage advice to those of us still struggling, I say this to you:

THANK YOU FOR BEING WHO YOUR WEIGHT LOSS HAS MADE YOU, A SMALLER BODIED BUT BIGGER PERSON (than most people I know) :wink:
Without your contributions, your selflessness, genuine caring and wanting to help others, places like this would be nothing more than a brag board filled with meaningless posts of people's gloating about how many steps/reps/kms or kgs they've walked/jogged/run or lost week after week! :roll:

I can honestly say I don't come here to get a pat on the back (though I agree it is nice when it happens) it doesn't bother me if no-one says anything because I'm happy enough within myself and the progress I'm making. Sure it's nice, don't get me wrong, but there's only a handful of people here who regularly say "hey, good on you" and it's the same handful EVERY WEEK who offer a comforting word when my week hasn't been so hot. To me, these people are what makes the heart and soul of this place, they are what I like to call in today's mish-mash of social media "real people" not just cyber-posters, and its partly because of them that I'm still here.

And as I continue along my journey, I ask myself the same question every day, with every gram I lose "will I still want to reach out to others when I've lost all the weight I want to lose"? Well for me, the answer remains unchanged, but its intensity is unequivocally magnified. :wink:
DD Diva

Re: Real People

Postby Blitz » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:51 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful words.

Don't forget that this forum has a lot of lurkers. These are people who although don't get the full benefit of this forum (come on guys - join in!) do nevertheless find some help here. It is just that those who do post and share get MORE. 8)

As someone who is a veteran lurker I understand why they do what they do. My facebook page is a desert of information about me (I use it chiefly to spy...er...keep track of my nieces and nephews). Even though I was amongst the first to join the Magic Cafe and the Genii Forums years ago - my post count is woeful (if they are in the double digits I would be surprised). So I know about lurking. It is only here that I'm a serial pest poster! :lol:

Why do I post here and not else where?
Because this is more important. This is about life and death. Above all this is about hope. I love the fact that here is a place where people are starting to get real with themselves. In the 70's there was a very popular book called "I'm OK, You're OK" by Thomas Anthony Harris (1st published in 1967); unfortunately I don't think that we are all okay (the author would say I'm still at a lower level and need to progress to the fourth plane). I believe most of us need a good dose of reality, responsibility and accountability in our lives. Those that embark on this weight loss journey are on a voyage of discovery and will deal with these areas of their lives. That is exciting...and hard!

In my life have been people who have been real helpful to me. Who have bothered to cross the street and got their hands dirty for me. If someone has done that for me surely then I'm under an obligation to do likewise for another. Freely I've received so freely I give.

My sister struggled with her weight all her life. She has tried and tried to lose weight. I didn't - I gleefully travelled through life a skinny kid who in the very late teens put on weight and continued down the path of gluttony unaware. She agonised about it - I skipped through life ignoring it. But you can only go so far and then you start to pay the piper. Then I got real with myself and lost the weight. During the process my sister discovered what I was doing and offered help and encouragement. One day after telling her what my then current weight was she said, "you've done it...you now weigh less than I do". I was dumbfounded. I always thought that she weighed more than me (just goes to show you how deluded I was)! I continued to steadily lose weight...she yo-yo'd. In a real sense my success rubbed her nose in her failure. I feel her heartache and wish that I can help her but unfortunately I think I'm the last person on earth that can. I'm too close. But I can encourage and help others. :D

People need hope. This is a very tough journey. If it was just about food intake or exercise it would be a snap to achieve but it is all about the mind - and that is a very complicated place indeed! Seeing success will encourage others to believe that they too can have that success. Diva you are very close to that finishing line. You know that people here on this Forum and in your "real life" have already taken encouragement by what you have achieved so far...how much more so will that be the case once you are in maintenance! 8) All power to you - may your tribe increase!

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby JP1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:57 pm

Nice post Diva.. Will try to do my bit but I'm far from perfect myself..
:|
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby Blitz » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:09 pm

At over 3,000 posts you are certainly doing your bit and more JP.
I've only just got to half of that - I'm eating your dust big time! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby JP1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Blitz wrote:At over 3,000 posts you are certainly doing your bit and more JP.
I've only just got to half of that - I'm eating your dust big time! 8)

Kim

Yeah a forum stalwart, I been round a long time and remember most of the forums oldies and I try to lend a hand though judging by my track record people should be wary of my advice..
:lol: 8) :wink:
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby Blitz » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:56 pm

though judging by my track record people should be wary of my advice..

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." ...is the quote based on verses in Proverbs and variously attributed to either Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain (neither actual did say this).
It may be good advice but certainly not as much fun - keep them coming JP...I for one enjoy your wit, honesty, insights and journey as you discovery your better future! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:54 am

Kim,
I understand what you're saying, about the "lurkers" that is. I'm sure that many people lurk in the shadows and who perhaps really gain enough benefit from reading other peoples posts, that they don't feel they need to add their own comments (though these would be valued too of course).

I'm really just saying THANK YOU to people such as yourself, for the time you take to help others with your continued advice/support, especially for those who may be approaching maintenance, or who may be struggling with those last few kilos. You're contributions are inspirational and priceless! :wink:

JP,
"perfection" is a very subjective term. You may have your ups and your downs weight-wise, but your contributions are by no means less valuable. Even though you have had times of weakness (indulgence) you dusted yourself off, got back on the horse, and charged passed (that mini) finish line! And it's because of your unyielding determination that continues to inspire and motivate other (myself included). So to you, THANK YOU as well. :wink:

Guess what I'm getting at with all of this is that no matter what your week has been like, or how you are travelling, your input (posts) that helps (not only yourself) but others too.

So I urge all you lurkers out there......

Don't be afraid, I understand, your reluctance but hey, you don't have to dive in fully, try just dunking a toe into the water first, trust me...you'll feel great once you're fully immersed in the warm fuzzy waters of this forum, the community spirit that you become a part of will help you on your journey and of course, your presence will be helping others at the same time!

GIVE IT A GO.....have your say today, and feel better instantly (trust me, you will)!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 pm

It does take a little courage to start. I know that it was a little while after I signed up before I posted something on the Forum.

One of the best things about the Forum is that it develops a sense of community for people who feel very isolated. We barely whisper to ourselves that we are overweight and never discuss it to our family and friends. We treat it like a dirty little secret which is so silly for us to do. Just one glace at our bellies is enough to clue anyone to our problem. There is a freedom that comes in finding a safe place with like minded people tackling there problems together. Knowing that you aren't alone and that there are people out there with the same sort of battles as you have gives you encouragement that just maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Lurkers...join in and be supported (and support others)! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Return to Just Chatting