It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:41 am

Free Newsletter

Navel-less

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Navel-less

Postby Blitz » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:27 pm

Today is the 2nd anniversary of when I parted company with a very near and dear friend of mine - my belly button! :shock:

On this day two years ago I had my operation to repair my belly hernia. As a bonus the surgeon agreed to remove some of the excess loose skin from my stomach (picture 1). He warned me that it wasn't going to be plastic surgery. My surgeon is a master of the understatement! I woke up after the operation and gingerly lifted up the sheet to see the state of play. One huge whopper of a scar greeted me (picture 2)! After looking at it for a while the penny dropped that perhaps my belly button was no longer present. If it was there it would have been right where the festering wound was. When my surgeon came to see me the next day I asked him if I still had a navel. No...was his matter of fact reply.

Well two years on the wound had healed nicely (picture 3). It has taken at least a year and a half for it all to settle and I be able to move that area with full comfort. I have missed the belly button. Apparently the doctor who tied it all those years ago was famous for his skill at tying the knots. My mother told me that in hospital there was a steady stream of trainee doctors, nurses and fellow colleagues who would admiringly stop over to have a Captain Cook my navel.

Yes I was proud of it....and now it is gone but not forgotten. A legacy and a victim to my gluttony and sloth but also a stark reminder never to go back to those bad old days! 8)

Kim
Attachments
3belly01.jpg
3belly01.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 838 times
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Re: Navel-less

Postby ganymede » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:13 am

Wow, Kim! Isn't it amazing what can be done these days, even if it wasn't strictly cosmetic surgery!? I bet it must have taken some getting use to but I'm sure it was a weight off your shoulders (and the rest of your body!) ;)

I like the idea that it's a reminder to keep your lifestyle in check!
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Blitz » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:43 pm

It was good to finally get rid of that hernia. I had lived with it for years watching it progressively grow bigger and more dangerous.
Also it was good to get rid of that loose skin as well. It was the size of a soccer ball and was getting in the way of my exercise.
I would have to "tie it down" into place with a belt or cord if I wanted to go jogging or swimming.

The third picture doesn't do it justice...the scar itself can hardly be seen nowadays.
Just the folding of the remaining loose skin makes it look worse than it is.

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Amazing stuff there Kim, so glad that the hernia is gone; scary stuff!!! :shock: Okay so you don't have a navel, no biggie....they're pretty useless anyways, only thing they're good for is collecting lint from your clothes, and really who needs that???!!!! :roll: :lol: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:04 am

That's okay for you to say...you've got one! :wink:

It's a good thing that I don't eat in bed any more - I've got nowhere to put the salt now! :shock: :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Return to Just Chatting