It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:59 am

Free Newsletter

Fitbit

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Fitbit

Postby Cackleberry » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:14 pm

Does anyone know much about fitbits? I've heard a bit about them but unsure as to what they do exactly. I know they calculate calories burnt etc but does it measure the calories burnt just during daily activities? It could be useful as i've always wondered how much I burn while i'm working. I just saw them on the show Bringing Sexy Back and wondered whether it could be something worth asking for for Christmas 8)
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
Short Term GW 69kg (10kg loss)
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Re: Fitbit

Postby DD Diva » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Cackleberry wrote:Does anyone know much about fitbits? I've heard a bit about them but unsure as to what they do exactly. I know they calculate calories burnt etc but does it measure the calories burnt just during daily activities? It could be useful as i've always wondered how much I burn while i'm working. I just saw them on the show Bringing Sexy Back and wondered whether it could be something worth asking for for Christmas 8)

There's a lot of information on the web on these little babies:
Here's one of many!!
http://gizmodo.com/fitbit-force-review- ... 1454962288
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42 pm

A similar gizmo, at a reasonable price:
http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/fortis-digi ... vAod924ALw
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:47 pm

LIke most products, you pay more for the brand names "Fitbit" will set you back about $100 or so, whereas the cheaper (less known) trackers which work as effectively (and sometimes better) like the one in my last post at $49 is a better buy!!!

There's just so many flooding the market right now, it depends on how much you want to spend!!! Depends on whether you're want to track your physical activities or your wallet!!! :lol: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby Cackleberry » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:55 pm

Thanks Diva. I had a look at those links you posted. The cheaper one isn't compatible with my computer, only syncs with Windows. But not sure if you really need it to sync or not?
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby DD Diva » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:11 pm

Cackleberry wrote:Thanks Diva. I had a look at those links you posted. The cheaper one isn't compatible with my computer, only syncs with Windows. But not sure if you really need it to sync or not?

Oh ok. Try this one: http://www.crazysales.com.au/online-act ... vQodIaAAzQ
DD Diva

Postby Tams » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:17 pm

I saw the ads too...while intrigued, my main thought was 'ugh, what kind of radiation(other energy) is that device emitting that is strapped to you all day?' Anyone know?
Tams

Postby DD Diva » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:29 pm

Tams wrote:I saw the ads too...while intrigued, my main thought was 'ugh, what kind of radiation(other energy) is that device emitting that is strapped to you all day?' Anyone know?
About the same level as you'd get with a mobile phone sitting pressed up to your ear, or tucked away in your bag, or back pocket.
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:37 pm

Cackleberry wrote:Thanks Diva. I had a look at those links you posted. The cheaper one isn't compatible with my computer, only syncs with Windows. But not sure if you really need it to sync or not?

It depends on the device. Some of the battery operated ones, like mobile phones that acces Bluetooth to transmit the data don't need to be synced to any other device such as a computer, and really if the data is accessible directly via the wristband why bother transferring it to a computer? Unless you particularly want to?!!
DD Diva

Postby Cackleberry » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:40 pm

It depends on the device. Some of the battery operated ones, like mobile phones that acces Bluetooth to transmit the data don't need to be synced to any other device such as a computer, and really if the data is accessible directly via the wristband why bother transferring it to a computer? Unless you particularly want to?!!

That's what I was thinking as well. Even the fitbits don't sync up to my phone as my phone is too old. Annoys me.
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby DD Diva » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:46 pm

Then just go with a phone app, buy one of those phone armband holders, put your phone in that and you're good to go, plus it's much cheaper! Especially if it's a free app!!! :wink:

http://www.imore.com/best-activity-trac ... s-and-more
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:22 am

The problem with all these devices is that they are generally calibrated and are not as accurate as one assumes.
Worse if you are switching from one device from another...each is calibrated differently.
One device's 100 calories burned is another 70 calories burned.

A good example of this is my exercise bike read out. If I pedal on level four for about 25 to 30 minutes...the read out tells me I have burned off 500 calories. Very satisfy but no where the truth of the matter. Also the body is never consistent neither. After a 90 minute session (1,500 cal) on the exercise bike my daily results before and after weigh ins on the scales can widely vary. Sometimes the result is different because of exercise intensity (ie finishing off harder/faster) but other times the metabolism is just processing faster or slower)...and sometimes it is just me sweating more!

These sort of things should only be used as rough guides and not as gospel...there are just too many variables for them to be anything else.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:44 am

Blitz wrote:The problem with all these devices is that they are generally calibrated and are not as accurate as one assumes.
Worse if you are switching from one device from another...each is calibrated differently.
One device's 100 calories burned is another 70 calories burned.

A good example of this is my exercise bike read out. If I pedal on level four for about 25 to 30 minutes...the read out tells me I have burned off 500 calories. Very satisfy but no where the truth of the matter. Also the body is never consistent neither. After a 90 minute session (1,500 cal) on the exercise bike my daily results before and after weigh ins on the scales can widely vary. Sometimes the result is different because of exercise intensity (ie finishing off harder/faster) but other times the metabolism is just processing faster or slower)...and sometimes it is just me sweating more!

These sort of things should only be used as rough guides and not as gospel...there are just too many variables for them to be anything else.
Kim

Exactly! Agree completely there Kim, they are great little gizmos to use but the variance between them is far and wide!!! :oops: Much like your bathroom scales!! Just recently I went to the doctor's for a check up, and she asked me to step on her scales....I was a kilo heavier, got back home and was magically, a kilo lighter again!! :lol: :lol:
As for the trackers, they're no different really; and their accuracy is compromised by the slightest jolt/movement. I love the phone app Runtastic (for instance) BUT....I know that the number of steps is NEVER 100% accurate because even the slightest movement (of any of my limbs, ie. lifting my arm to wave to someone) will count as a step or two (or sometimes more)!!! :twisted: Doesn't mean I won't wave to someone I know while I'm out walking, just means I don't take the readings as gospel!!!
Use the device as a gauge but don't let the numbers as exact!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:51 am

That is why when people come at weight loss with a maths and science mentality with statements like "it's just a question of calories consumed and calories burned"or "if I eat X amount of calories and exercise X amount of calories off I will lose X amount of weight" - I know there is trouble ahead for them.
On a fundamental level it is true but there are so many unknown variables in the process that unless you are being monitored by a team of doctors and scientists you aren't going to be able to cover all the bases.
This simple view of weight loss just doesn't cut it in the real world.

I think of weight loss more in terms of an art form. Sure you develop skills and techniques but the real work is applying them in a creative process using experience and common sense. Just as in art the picture is more than the line on a piece of paper - so too with weight loss.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:29 am

Blitz wrote:That is why when people come at weight loss with a maths and science mentality with statements like "it's just a question of calories consumed and calories burned"or "if I eat X amount of calories and exercise X amount of calories off I will lose X amount of weight" - I know there is trouble ahead for them.
On a fundamental level it is true but there are so many unknown variables in the process that unless you are being monitored by a team of doctors and scientists you aren't going to be able to cover all the bases.
This simple view of weight loss just doesn't cut it in the real world.

I think of weight loss more in terms of an art form. Sure you develop skills and techniques but the real work is applying them in a creative process using experience and common sense. Just as in art the picture is more than the line on a piece of paper - so too with weight loss.

Kim

Gosh, I'm torn here Kim,
I agree and disagree (fundamentally speaking) with you on the fact that basically it is about maths and science well for the most part BUT....those calculations (in isolation) won't cut the fat/mustard!!! :oops:

Basic physiology tells us Less in More out will = deficit (aka loss)

BUT....
If that less is too low, over too long, it becomes unsustainable and even without being mentally aware of it, will trigger behaviour that inturn will develop into an increase in food intake and decrease in activity, thereby giving you an upward trend in the scale readings!!! :cry:

That is why even the most disciplined of dieter (and I use the "D" word loosely here) FAILS!!! It's because they are "dieting" that is, they are eating a certain amount, over what they have mentally decided is for a certain period of time UNTIL they get to a certain weight!!! :roll: That simply doesn't work long term; it's not maintainable!!

I admire (and applaud) the fact that you've managed to lose weight without ever having counted a single calorie! Truly, I do. :D And I know that it can be done without ever cross referencing a particular food against some silly calories or (for points counters) points guides. Indeed, I wish I had the skill to be as good at judging the right amounts without consulting a calorie counter, but sadly I'm not. I'm sure that my eyesight (which was never 20/20 even in my hay day!!!) :oops: would have made a poor judge on what was an acceptable portion size!!! Not saying I'm blind just saying that (especially when it came to food, back then) I'm was blinded by uncontrollable hunger and as such made a poor judge at estimating what was a moderate (respectable) and consumable amount that would give me a loss!!! :oops: Thankfully, I'm better at it now and I've developed (much like you) the ability in not having to count calories at certain times!! :wink:

The "art form" as I see it comes with innovation (or the creativity) in being able to make the changes to your eating and exercise routine, being able to tweak and modify them to become sustainable, long term, rest-of-your-life changes as opposed to "till I get to goal" mentality!!! Ok ok; I know I sound like a broken record (sorry) but I do believe wholeheartedly that "it's not about getting to wear a certain piece of clothing, an event, a season etc; it's about tailoring a plan (a lifestyle program) that you are comfortable with and that you will adopt for the end of your days"!!! Counting calories, points, fat grams, carbs (whatever) is only part of the process, exercising the flip side of the same coin, but the REAL KEY is in making both of those work for you over the span of your life!! And by that, you need to make sure that you learn what works, how to add variety so to ward off boredom which can ultimately lead to falling off the wagon. There is absolutely NO POINT (no pun intend btw) in meticulously watching ever calorie or point if you're not having the right amount or the right type of food FOR YOUR BODY!! And as all bodies aren't built the same, neither is what each requires. Find out what is right for you, and then make the most of it so that you enjoy your food, and your exercise and make it a permanent part of your new (and healthier) life!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Next

Return to Just Chatting