It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:10 am

Free Newsletter

Fitbit

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fitbit

Postby Tams » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:24 pm

That was nicely said Blitz! I do agree with that. Not all calories are equal (either in what they give to nutrition or in how they influence weightloss/gain).

I was reading an article about fad diets just a few minutes ago actually, and their point was that the 'control' you need to exert was reminiscent of eating disorders (writer was a former anorexic). It has occurred to me that for some people, the fixation on controlling numbers (calorie counting), could also act in this manner, rather than feeding a healthy mindset that focuses on the nutritional value of food.

Just a thought - and not dissing anyone who is a calorie counter!
Tams

Postby DD Diva » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Tams wrote:That was nicely said Blitz! I do agree with that. Not all calories are equal (either in what they give to nutrition or in how they influence weightloss/gain).

I was reading an article about fad diets just a few minutes ago actually, and their point was that the 'control' you need to exert was reminiscent of eating disorders (writer was a former anorexic). It has occurred to me that for some people, the fixation on controlling numbers (calorie counting), could also act in this manner, rather than feeding a healthy mindset that focuses on the nutritional value of food.

Just a thought - and not dissing anyone who is a calorie counter!

Not all calories or points or fat grams or carbs or protein levels or....or.....or..... :roll:

As I said in my post, for the most part I have come to recognise what's what including judging visually the portion size and the caloric value. I don't sit there thumbing or scrolling pages of endless numeric values (frankly, I don't have that kind of time to waste, nor the patience to be bothered). And as for your comment (which I've highlighted in red) it is sweeping generalisation of which there is no foundation to based that on, and I for one, take objection to it.

There are plenty of studies that claim that people who weigh themselves daily are prone to OC disorder, so one has to wonder what that says about those who weigh twice daily?????? :oops:
I'm not dissing those people either regardless of how many times they choose to step on the scales, but I think you understand where I'm going with these questions.

I'm glad you're enjoying your reading, but before you box people into neat little categories (either intentionally or not) be mindful that you could be called out explain your hypothesis!!!! :shock:
DD Diva

Postby tinkerbella » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:23 pm

follow
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby tinkerbella » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:26 pm

I went too Harvey Norman yesterday and asked about these as it was on the radio as a special for $98.
When asking about it some get linked too your phone,and some don't..

Im also interested in getting one but are they easy too use??
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby DD Diva » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:46 pm

tinkerbella wrote:follow

?????????
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Ohhhhhhhh I get it!!! Tams, you're being asked to "follow" to the thread where Tinkerbella responds to your post about weighing twice daily AND takes a snide swipe at me for hitting back at your inference about people's obsession with counting calories.

My how petty the human mind can be, especially those who NEVER MISS THE OPPORTUNITY to take a swipe!!! How petty and how small!!!! :roll:
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:24 pm

tinkerbella wrote:are they easy too use??

Ummm.....suppose so, but they don't track points!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby Cackleberry » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks for your thoughts on the fitbit. I think i've decided against it for now. It seems like a lot of money for something I don't think i'll use very often. I really only wanted it to see how many calories I burnt while at work and also to see what my sleep pattern was like.
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
Short Term GW 69kg (10kg loss)
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby DD Diva » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:06 pm

Cackleberry wrote:Thanks for your thoughts on the fitbit. I think i've decided against it for now. It seems like a lot of money for something I don't think i'll use very often. I really only wanted it to see how many calories I burnt while at work and also to see what my sleep pattern was like.

Wise choice. They really (in my opinion) not worth the money for data that you can (almost completely) get from a smartphone app like Runtastic or one that I've just started using today....StepOn. Calculates all I need to know, steps, distance, calories and charts it. Sure it doesn't measure sleep, but I figure if I wake up exhausted, I"d say I can bank on the fact that I probably haven't had enough (of it)!!! :roll: :lol: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby Cackleberry » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Wise choice. They really (in my opinion) not worth the money for data that you can (almost completely) get from a smartphone app like Runtastic or one that I've just started using today....StepOn. Calculates all I need to know, steps, distance, calories and charts it. Sure it doesn't measure sleep, but I figure if I wake up exhausted, I"d say I can bank on the fact that I probably haven't had enough (of it)!!! :roll: :lol: :lol:

That one sounds good. Must look that one up on my phone!

And you're right, I am usually aware of when i've had a crappy night's sleep :lol: I don't really need something to tell me that.
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
Short Term GW 69kg (10kg loss)
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby DD Diva » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Cackleberry wrote: And you're right, I am usually aware of when i've had a crappy night's sleep :lol: I don't really need something to tell me that.

Besides, if you don't figure it out, you can always look in the mirror.....if you see bags :shock: ....you ain't had enough sleep!!! :oops:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:41 am

Josie...I think we entirely agree (re-read my second paragraph...I think you missed my acknowledgement that maths is a part of it)...just that my post was shorter! :wink: :lol:

Weight loss as an art form is of cause is about applying the fundamentals. I used the art terms of skills and techniques to push my analogue along although more better weight loss terms could (maybe should) have been used.

At risk I'll go back to my art analogue...people viewing action painter Jackson Pollock work or a super realist Andrew Wyreth's work may believe that only Wyreth's art has skill and technique. But to those in the know understand that Pollock used as much skill and technique to produce his work.
Yes, Pollock produced his paintings by swinging buckets of paint with holes in it from ropes and flung paint from house brushes and tins for good measure...but that is not all he did. He controlled the process carefully only stopping when he decided the textures, colour balances and compositional balances were just right. Art is about choices...what the artist leaves out is just as important as what he includes. Each artist makes those choices and lives with the consequence.

One person counts calories...another doesn't...but don't make the mistake that neither hasn't considered their actions or doesn't cover the fundamentals to their art.
It is all about getting the art of living right...making a healthy lifestyle that you (the individual) can live with - forever. 8)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:09 am

Blitz wrote:Josie...I think we entirely agree (re-read my second paragraph...I think you missed my acknowledgement that maths is a part of it)...just that my post was shorter! :wink: :lol:

Yes you're right; I misread your post....I see that we're (yet again) on the same page!!! :D
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Speaking of being on the same page...I couldn't get on this Forum or website for an awful long time yesterday evening and this morning with either my laptop or my mobile. Is it just me or did everyone else have the same problem?

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Blitz wrote:Speaking of being on the same page...I couldn't get on this Forum or website for an awful long time yesterday evening and this morning with either my laptop or my mobile. Is it just me or did everyone else have the same problem?

Kim

I had a late night, so had only been trying since this morning /early afternoon and the site was done, inaccessible by computer or mobile. :(
But it's back again!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
DD Diva

PreviousNext

Return to Just Chatting