It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:36 pm

Free Newsletter

Diva-licious!!! ;p

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Diva-licious!!! ;p

Postby DD Diva » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:19 am

Thanks Kim,
Yes it's been a valuable lesson!!! :oops:
Another 1kg down this morning, almost half the gain lost (at 1.7kg) and 1.9kg to go!!!
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:53 am

You are really going for it aren't you? You'll soon be back on track at this rate...good work! 8)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Tams » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:37 pm

Diva-licious, you have done, and are, doing wonderfully! The glitches are annoying, painful, and difficult (galling) to re-take, but your humbleness and hard work will win out. Thanks for inspiring :)

One really interesting thing you said corresponded (coincidentally) with a glanced at magazine article - not that these are always correct. But this one said that a one day blow-out doesn't seem to factor into our body's planning/response...but more than one day and it does.

I was also reading a few days back in your thread where Blitz was commenting on the performing career being boosted by 'looks'. This is so true. It's one of the things I 'try' to hold in my head to keep me trying to lose a bit more. But I admit to laziness - it's hard work. I've been a dancer for a long time now, and not taken it to a professional level (until now), instead watching people who I've coached, or started with, go global with their fame...in so many instances a big factor in that was looks. Several girls were suddenly adored when they got really really slim - they were always good dancers, but this kicked the rewards into gear. Such is the world we live in. On the other hand, I totally love dancers who are great, and yet have more weight - I admire their courage - but there's the rub again, its 'weight' and 'courage' that enter my head first, rather than the beauty of their performance. And I also have a bit of a battle with thinking about if I should be buying into the slimness thing and possibly promoting thoughts I don't necessarily agree with. Like you said DDiva, even though I've not experienced the large degrees of weight change, it can be a real mental trip!!

Anyhow, your collective experiences got me thinking! On the plus front Blitz...personal maintenance and things to do with appearance are tax deductions in performance industries!
Tams

Postby DD Diva » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:30 pm

Tams wrote:Diva-licious, you have done, and are, doing wonderfully! The glitches are annoying, painful, and difficult (galling) to re-take, but your humbleness and hard work will win out. Thanks for inspiring :)

One really interesting thing you said corresponded (coincidentally) with a glanced at magazine article - not that these are always correct. But this one said that a one day blow-out doesn't seem to factor into our body's planning/response...but more than one day and it does.

I was also reading a few days back in your thread where Blitz was commenting on the performing career being boosted by 'looks'. This is so true. It's one of the things I 'try' to hold in my head to keep me trying to lose a bit more. But I admit to laziness - it's hard work. I've been a dancer for a long time now, and not taken it to a professional level (until now), instead watching people who I've coached, or started with, go global with their fame...in so many instances a big factor in that was looks. Several girls were suddenly adored when they got really really slim - they were always good dancers, but this kicked the rewards into gear. Such is the world we live in. On the other hand, I totally love dancers who are great, and yet have more weight - I admire their courage - but there's the rub again, its 'weight' and 'courage' that enter my head first, rather than the beauty of their performance. And I also have a bit of a battle with thinking about if I should be buying into the slimness thing and possibly promoting thoughts I don't necessarily agree with. Like you said DDiva, even though I've not experienced the large degrees of weight change, it can be a real mental trip!!

Anyhow, your collective experiences got me thinking! On the plus front Blitz...personal maintenance and things to do with appearance are tax deductions in performance industries!

Hi Tams,

Thank you for the kind words; though I don't feel like I'm doing much that can be classed as "inspiring" I'm glad it's at least thought-provoking.
It's been a long journey, and one that I have a way to go yet, but I know that I'll get there.....I just have to make sure I don't have too many repeats of these blow-out DAYS. :oops: It's true, you can have a binge meal, even a binge day, but anything beyond that and the body will let you know it on the scales BIG TIME!!! :cry:

As for the views held by society on "weight" and what it deems an acceptable stereotype; I hate to admit it, but I'm as guilty of buying into this ideology of perfection!!! It is hard though, all of a sudden I'm "invisible" in a crowd where I was once was source of stares and whispers, and on the other, I'm suddenly "visible" in that men are smiling (and one a couple of occasions) winking at me; they're noticing me for all the right reasons (or is it???). Why do I feel angry about it??? I partly feel like turning back to them and screaming "hey, I'm just a smaller model of the "fat chick" who walked by your office a year ago, the one you didn't even bother to even acknowledge and who now you're smiling and winking at, a$$hole!!!!" :evil: Is it playing with my head?? You bet, but will I let it get to me to the point of turning it around and making me run back to my bigger and unhealthier old self?? NO WAY!!! I feel soooooooooo much more alive, with more energy, confidence, and above all, self respect!!! The self loathing that once had me reaching for food for solace is now replaced with an enthusiasm for living life, and not being afraid of going out and actually enjoying it!!! Instead of reaching for food, I'm reaching for my runners (and every opportunity, even during work days, at lunch time or between meetings) and going for as longgggggggggggg a walk as time will permit and (for the first time in a long time) really feeling the sun's glow on my face!!! :)

I know I will get my head around the "new" person I've (partially) morphed into, but the "old" me; the heart and soul of the person I am to this day remains constant albeit just a downsized version!!! :wink: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Almost forgot....

Weigh in today: 76.8kg :cry: Still up 1.9kg (I actually gained 200g yesterday, which is annoying considering I walked for about two hours!!!) Nevertheless, it's a loss for the week of 1.7kg!!! :oops: Just gotta get back to that 74.9kg....that's my focus right now!!! :shock:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:37 pm

DD Diva wrote:Almost forgot....

Weigh in today: 76.8kg :cry: Still up 1.9kg (I actually gained 200g yesterday, which is annoying considering I walked for about two hours!!!) Nevertheless, it's a loss for the week of 1.7kg!!! :oops: Just gotta get back to that 74.9kg....that's my focus right now!!! :shock:

That will be water retention for that two hour walk. It doesn't seem fair that when you exercise extra you will stay the same or even "gain" but that is what usually happens. But remember that this is temporary and good gain. Muscle is being produced and that will equal more burning of calories.
Also you have to expect a little consolidation from your body after a 1.7kg loss. All good...don't panic - this will all pay dividends very soon. 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby Blitz » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:02 pm

Some interesting thoughts about body image perception here and people's bias.

Just the other day I got checked out by a young lady behind a shop counter as I went by and was given a smile where in the old days this former fat man would have gotten a look of disgust. It was nice for the ego for a tiny moment but not one that you should dwell on for too long. Since we have been on the other side of this coin we can appreciate just how meaningless it really is (or at least ought to be).

Let us never forget the gift (yes I did write the word gift :shock: ) that being overweight has given us. We know what those of the two extremes of the equation don't know. Those that are obese or one of the "beautiful people" usually don't have insight that what really matters is not looks but the content of their hearts (character).

The obese often believe if they slim down that life will be perfect. They will have that perfect partner of their dreams and all the trappings of success. If they lose weight (and many don't because it is comfortable to continue to blame their weight for life's failings) two things may happen. Firstly, they may buy into the "beautiful people" trap and throw away all that was worthwhile in their lives or become bitter when that Hollywood ending doesn't fall into their laps.

For those that have been skinny and beautiful all their lives, the gateways that society has given them are taken for granted. It is only when the ravages of aging hits them that they realise that people have not been valuing them for who they are rather than what they appear...and that they have operated their whole lives doing the same to others.

Let us learn to live our lives with insight. Value what is really important - the content of people's hearts and help educate those that don't understand it with patience and love.

Kim
Blitz

Postby Tams » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:52 pm

Great words from you both!!
Tams

Postby DD Diva » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:28 am

Thanks Tams :D
Kim, there many a wise (and true) word in your post!!! Thank you for a timely reminder of how important it is to remember that the value of one's heart is far greater than the beauty of one's outward appearance!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:31 am

Blitz wrote:That will be water retention for that two hour walk. It doesn't seem fair that when you exercise extra you will stay the same or even "gain" but that is what usually happens. But remember that this is temporary and good gain. Muscle is being produced and that will equal more burning of calories.
Also you have to expect a little consolidation from your body after a 1.7kg loss. All good...don't panic - this will all pay dividends very soon. 8)

Kim

Thanks Kim, yes it's starting to pay off!!! Another 500g down this morning, just 1.4kg of ground to make up to get back to my lowest figure of 74.9kg. Slowly but surely does it.... :roll: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:12 pm

The irritating thing about blowouts and regaining for me was the dreadful waste of time and effort it takes redoing the same ground.
I once did some calculations on my weight loss figures and discovered that if I had lost every single day of my weight loss journey, instead of gaining and re-losing at times - that I would have finished MONTHS earlier! :shock:

There is a lot to be said for keeping your losses consistent and not rollercoastering!

You are doing well Josie...keep at it! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:37 am

Well ALMOST made it back to my lowest point of 74.9kg (soooooooooo close, but alas.....will have to wait till next week) :cry:

Weigh in today, and happy to report I'm 75.1kg (200g shy of my previous low) DEFINITELY plan to break through the 75's again next week!!! :wink:

As you say Kim, this sure is the "pointy end" of the journey, but that's cool, I'm fine with that and besides the way I see it (for me anyway).....ain't no going back now (or EVER)!! :wink: :D
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:24 pm

It may be the pointy end...but if you keep grinding it down you will win out at the end. 8)

You should get it back next week - and hopeful more besides! Keep your nose to the grind stone and you'll do it with class! :D

You have done well this week...be proud...and then get determined! :shock: :)

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:12 am

DD Diva wrote:Well ALMOST made it back to my lowest point of 74.9kg (soooooooooo close, but alas.....will have to wait till next week) :cry:

Weigh in today, and happy to report I'm 75.1kg (200g shy of my previous low) DEFINITELY plan to break through the 75's again next week!!! :wink:

I knew this would happen :roll: day after weigh in (just 200g short of back to low figure) and though not a huge loss for the day (yesterday) happy to be able to say I'm back to my lowest number......(woo hoo!!!) 74.9kg again and under the 75kg mark!!! :D
Now to lose the other 500g to meet my challenge target of 74.4kg!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:13 am

Blitz wrote:It may be the pointy end...but if you keep grinding it down you will win out at the end. 8)

You should get it back next week - and hopeful more besides! Keep your nose to the grind stone and you'll do it with class! :D

You have done well this week...be proud...and then get determined! :shock: :)

Kim

Thanks Kim! :)
DD Diva

PreviousNext

Return to Just Chatting