It is currently Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:48 am

Free Newsletter

The week it is !!!

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

The week it is !!!

Postby tinkerbella » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:31 pm

what week is it this week??
topic of conversation!!
Attachments
10308100_10152101985554142_2327386391351790723_n[1].jpg
10308100_10152101985554142_2327386391351790723_n[1].jpg (37.95 KiB) Viewed 723 times
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Re: The week it is !!!

Postby Blitz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:40 am

With the recent death of Robin Williams this is a timely reminder to be aware of those around you.

Some of the greatest people in history have been suffers of "Churchill's Black Dog"...it will do us well to lift the stigma of this condition so that treatment and help can reached for without shame.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby ganymede » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:08 am

As a long term sufferer of the black dog (was diagnosed over 11 years ago now), I know all too well how this illness can constantly affect everyday life. It's sad that it took an important, loved figure to pass away from it for people to sit up and take notice. Still, we need to use this opportunity to, as Kim said, lift the stigma surrounding mental illness and shed some light on the subject. It shouldn't be something that no one wants to talk about, communication is our greatest tool in battling it!

I actually started a Facebook page with a friend of mine to keep the conversation flowing. Even then, it has been hard to get people to join and open up. Sad really :(
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Blitz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:00 pm

It runs like a bad rash on the male side of my family.

Occasionally I need it shut down for a day and sleep it away to recharge myself. My brother has got it far worse...he can sleep weeks of his life away. My Dad coped by drinking his life away...not the best way to cope but that is how it was.

Kim
Blitz

Postby tinkerbella » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:18 pm

The Black Dog,
I think he pops his head in and out of everybodys life from time too time.
the feeling that its trying too take hold and you know once it takes hold its so hard for it too let go...

that feeling of yeap its here and its going too take me down them its time too try and crawl your way back up...

that feeling that you know its here and breathing down the back of your neck...

Its like a cycle and you know it is fighting against itself at times..

Yes ive had it a few times,the first time was when my 3rd child was born,i had been on 16 blood pressure tablets just too get him here and all I was doing was sleeping and hallucinating,and having rwo babys too look after at the time,well it wasn't an easy time,then too bring yet another baby home and the 3rd child wasn't like the other two all he wanted too do was cry all bloody day..the only saving grace was he slept all night...
yes that was my first time I had depression,when I start feeling that feeling of going down I now take st johns wart,blackmores and they work for me...

but I feel for anybody that is always looking out for that Black Dog lurking....
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby tinkerbella » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:38 am

Talking about dogs....
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby ganymede » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:27 am

Whilst I agree that hard times can get people down and affect their lives deeply during times of hardship, that is not depression. Depression is something that never goes away and will always be a part of you and your life. For me, days, months and years can go by without being in a severe state of depression but it's still there, always. You have to be so careful, so many things can trigger it. But a common misconception is that it can be beaten. To a point this is true, yes, you can go into a "remission" of sorts but it is not something that goes away. It is a life long struggle and one that needs to be recognised as exactly what it is.
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby DD Diva » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 pm

ganymede wrote:Whilst I agree that hard times can get people down and affect their lives deeply during times of hardship, that is not depression. Depression is something that never goes away and will always be a part of you and your life. For me, days, months and years can go by without being in a severe state of depression but it's still there, always. You have to be so careful, so many things can trigger it. But a common misconception is that it can be beaten. To a point this is true, yes, you can go into a "remission" of sorts but it is not something that goes away. It is a life long struggle and one that needs to be recognised as exactly what it is.

Post partum depression also referred to post natal depression (aka "baby blues") is common amongst new mothers!! It is mainly due to the body's hormone levels being thrown out of whack as the result of having recent expelled another human body from within itself!!! It can be difficult, and can affect a woman's ability to bond with her child initially (in extreme cases, for much much longer) it is by no means the same as deep ("black dog") type depression!!! :oops:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:33 am

My wife was post natal for about two years. It was a real dark hole for her to climb out of. One of the best things we did was not to hide it from the world and isolate ourselves. It was surprising just how many people would share their experiences of it once it was in the open.

There was one Australia Day weekend when it all came to a head. She finally snapped. I vividly remember the turning point. On the Sunday morning I was preaching a sermon. I was in full flight making an esoteric comment about General Montgomery when I looked down to the front row and see my wife in my mother's arms totally sobbing uncontrollably. I looked away and my mind had completely gone blank on the point - I had no idea what to say next. I just laughed to myself at absurdness of the situation. Here I was suppose to be imparting wisdom and have nothing to say, after a surreal bizarre Saturday night which I won't go into, with my wife losing the plot quietly in the front row with my sweet child innocently sleeping beside her and on top of all this - IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY! From that day my wife accepted professional help. A small course of Valium to give her mind a bit of time out helped her a great deal. It still took some time for her to climb out of the pit but that weekend was the turning point.

As for general depression. I think the years gives you the skills to minimise the bouts. You see the gathering signs and put into action learnt strategies to dodge the worst of it. I know for myself that doing the one day shut down sooner than I would have saves me weeks of picking up the pieces afterwards for example.

Kim
Blitz

Return to Just Chatting