It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:10 am

Free Newsletter

Off Lined by a Mouse!

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Off Lined by a Mouse!

Postby Blitz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:48 pm

The other night our house was invaded by an unwelcome visitor - a mouse.
My wife and daughter panicked while I started to fulfil the unwritten contract of all marriages..."husband is to be the killer of all pests in the house".
I found two old traditional traps, some bait poison and set them up in various likely areas of the house.
In the morning I discover the baits untouched.
The worst thing - the traps had the peanut butter licked off and they did not spring shut!
Re-jigged the traps and reset them.

That night whilst in my office checking out the Forum etc...the mouse was moving about the room.
Seizing my chance I close the tight fitting door and trap him in the room. Now the office has many nooks and crannies for it to hide so I wasn't going to catch him but I did the next best thing...left a trap and a bait station in the room. Sooner or later he has got to eat something...and it wasn't leaving the room until he ate either the poison or the peanut butter in the trap. Next morning the peanut butter is gone and the trap is unsprung again! The poison is chewed but no body is found.

Next night the mouse is still about. Knocks off more peanut butter!

I go on the internet that morning...and discover that I'm off line. Check the phone...dead as a door nail.
After a lot of searching in dark dusty - found the connecting wire chewed off.
$20 buys a replacement plug that phone/adsl wire connects to (the old one had the plug connection with the phone/adsl plug.
Reconnect...on line and phone works.
I buy a new latest model trap - and set it up.

This morning...success! Dead mouse in trap.
Go on internet...and discover that I'm off line again and the phone doesn't work!
The little beggar had did it again!
Bought more connecting wires (and back ups!)
Hopefully I'll be staying and that the mouse had no friends!

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Re: Off Lined by a Mouse!

Postby Tams » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:17 pm

Sorry about the wires - we had a rabbit that used to chew the electical wires (much to my Dad's exasperation he never got electrocuted (poor bunny!))

Re mice, the new humane method traps are safest and kindest - and work. Poison not so good an idea though, as it can enter the ecological web and kill more than the mouse when eaten by predators. Many a pet cat has died from rat poison after catching the rat or mouse.

A mouse in this house only ever happened once. We have two cats who had a wow of a time. The mouse ran off and I truely believe it went and told all its friends not to come to our house, as our neighbours were affected all around us, but we never got any more than that one visitor. We offered our cats services to our neighbours!
Tams

Postby DD Diva » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:35 am

Oh Kim.....mouse and computer problems of a different kind??!! :shock: Glad to hear your trap pulled a plug on this (non-powered) computer hazard!! :lol: Hopefully, that'll be the last one (i.e. he doesn't have relatives lurking around, that) you need to worry about!! :roll: Anyway, I'm pleased to hear your back online too!! :D
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Tams - mouse ate the poison without any effect! Still going strong after the feast on it! All pets would be safe from that bait I'm sure. Rabbits love chewing on electrical cords but seem to know when to stop. Phone cords however they will chew right through. My current rabbit is a good bunny...never ever touches electrical cords at all. There is a product that you can but that can protect your cords from your determined rabbit.

Josie - It's good to be back online. I've now got back up connection wires - just in case. I've set the trap outside in my garage to keep them at bay...I should be alright now. 8)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Just Chatting