It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:10 am

Free Newsletter

Work Problem.. Just venting again

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Work Problem.. Just venting again

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:38 am

I'm just having a bit of a vent again.... Went into work this morning feeling a bit crappy cos of how my scales hadn't moved at all... My bosses said they'd spent yesterday "reorganising my life". So I was like uh oh.... They'd worked out a schedule for me for work because one of my bosses is going back to full time work, and the other is going to be studying 2 days a week..
This is the schedule..

Monday:
9-12 (Massage - this is only if people book in)
3-6 (Personal Training)
6-9 (PT)

Tuesday:
9-12 (Massage - only if people book in)
3-6 (PT)

Wednesday:
9-12 (PT)
3-6 (PT)
6-9 (PT)

Thursday:
9-12 (PT)
3-6 (PT)
6-9 (Massage - only if people book in)

Friday:

Saturday:
8-12 (Massage/PT)

Sunday:
Day off

As they went over it I seriously almost cried. It doesn't help that it's coming up to TTOM where I cry over spilt milk, literally, but I just couldn't help thinking "What kind of life am I going to have with this schedule?!?!?!"

So I have to get back to them on whether it's alright or not, and I just feel totally and completely overwhelmed. Where in the hell am I going to get time to exercise on some of those days, let alone attend the classes (RPM, Pump, Kickboxercise etc) that I love so much?!

I just don't know what to think or say, I think I'm still in shock.
Do you think I'm being unreasonable in wanting to knock back some of the hours?!?!?!?

Em

PS Sorry about the constant venting, going through a few rough patches at the moment!!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Jenni » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:54 am

Sorry to hear about that hun! Are you a fitness trainer?

Ive been shafted like that a few times also - being on the starting side of my career and at the bottom of the food chain!

Maybe you could come to an agreement to work the extra hours, but to have a two-three hour break in the afternoon where you can drive to the gym, go for a run/walk etc, eat lunch and have a little break and then be back for work?

I always think to myself that if I put the long hours in now, in a years time I will be able to afford that new car etc etc. Ofcoarse im not sure what your situation is but I think that all hard work has a reward, you just have to close your eyes and focus on it!
Jenni

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:26 pm

Yeah I'm a personal trainer/massage therapist..

Thanks for the support and suggestions :) I'm thinking of asking them to call in another trainer (they mentioned some other girl they were going to ask to be 'on call') to do the Monday night PT if I have Massage in the morning. It all pretty much comes down to IF I have the Massage, and I will never know that until at least a couple of days before!!

I might also get them to not offer the Massage on Thursday nights... I think I can handle the rest of it..

I spoke to my parents about it and I wish I hadn't... Mum kept ranting about how ungrateful I was etc etc.. Dad was a bit more understanding because he knows how it is, he gets sent away for a couple of weeks at a time for work a lot. But Mum hasn't worked since 1995 so I think she forgets, and she wants a job so badly that I think she'd do anything..

I'll work it out!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:52 pm

hi emma
if you cant do it then you cant do it, its as simple as that. tell your bosses and its their loss :)
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:59 pm

Thanks Kate :) I can do some of it... I think what I'll do is ask them to change it to this...

Monday:
9-12 (Massage - this is only if people book in)
3-6 (Personal Training)
6-9 (PT) <--- Get them to call in the standby trainer IF I have to do the 9-12 shift

Tuesday:
3-6 (PT)

Wednesday:
9-12 (PT)
3-6 (PT)
6-9 (PT)

Thursday:
9-12 (PT)
3-6 (PT)
(Took out 6-9 Massage)

Friday:

Saturday:
8-12 (Massage/PT)

Sunday:
Day off

It's only a couple of minor changes but it gives me a bit more time, and it's only 1 massive day in there instead of 3.
I don't mind working a lot but it just gives me the shits if I have to be available morning, afternoon and night!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:06 pm

They would have to pay me MEGA bucks to do that many hours. Hell yes you have the right to ask them to change the hours.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:51 pm

Well, I asked em and they're totally cool with it. I knew they would be because they really are great bosses, this just massively took me by surprise.
We're going to look for a 'backup trainer' for me and the other trainer.
Phew. I was massively stressed about this all day, Kickboxercise helped to get some aggression out tho!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby bluebox451 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:22 pm

HI, I know what you mean about the hours. I do bookkeeping during the day and PT at night. I like the job but I HATE working at night! I just want to be at home with my daughter that I dont see at all because she goes to creche. :cry: :cry: :cry:
But I guess if I want to do that type of work then I have to put up with the hours. Oh well.
Your schedule does look a bit better than before so just stick with that - I'm sure they wouldnt want to lose you over a couple hours. Do you work at a gym or a studio?
Liz :D
bluebox451

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:44 pm

Ahh so you can sympathise with me Liz!!!! I used to HATE working at night, I've grown used to it but I miss doing my gym classes :( I love the classes!!! I work at a Group PT Studio, how about you??

I had a big chat with my bosses today, and we've decided to hire another trainer to take the pressure off me a bit.
So these are going to be my hours:

Monday:
9-12 Massage/Fitness Assessments
3-6 PT

Tuesday:
3-6 PT
6-9 Massage/PT (only if Massages are booked & PT is super busy)

Wednesday:
9-12 PT
3-6 PT
6-9 Massage/PT (only if Massages are booked & PT is super busy)

Thursday:
9-12 PT
3-6 PT

Friday:
Day off

Saturday:
8-12 Massage/PT

Sunday:
Day off

So that looks a LOT better to me :D I am happy again! Of course, this will all change again in July when I study my Diploma in Massage Mon & Tues 9:30-5 :P
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Groovychic » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:30 pm

MMM Definitely looks a lot better Em. With your PT(which I am assuming is private trainer) sessions do you do exercise with the clients. Maybe I am wrong as to what PT is??? I am definitely confused here.

You should stand up for what you want too. I have pretty good boss's as well but I don't stand for any of their crap. I've learnt to tell them to stop changing their damn minds about how much to quote for this or that!!! And to print the letter that they want to send so they can proof read it. I've asked them numerous times to check it on the pc but they never do!!! And messages I print out now and stick to the pc screen!!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:57 am

Nah, with the PT, which is Personal Training, I don't get to work out with the clients :( Well, I can if I want if there's only like 1 client coming in for a session, but it's hard cos I get extremely red and sweaty :S But it's all good, I should be able to do a fair amount of workouts other times :)

Yeah it's definitely good to be honest with your bosses, great to hear that you can say those kinds of things and have your input taken on board!! 90% of places definitely don't do that!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby bluebox451 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:22 pm

Hey there, I work at a private studio - Its only me and another trainer (the owner). AT most there is only two clients at the one time. I like to train with them sometimes but I know what you mean about getting hot and sweaty. I sweat like a demon so if I do too much its not so good!
I also have a few of my own clients as part of my own business. I prefer training outdoors with them for a bit of variety. Can you train your clients however you like or is it a set system you have to work by?
Liz. :D
bluebox451

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:07 pm

Ahh cool :) Private studios are much better eh? Sometimes if it's a quiet session it will just be me training another person, but our maximum number of people in a session is 12, but there will be at least 2 trainers. It gets hard to juggle sometimes!!

Each person has their set program for weights, but us trainers are pretty much free to do what we like with it. We can set them an all-cardio session one day if we want to! I like to mix it up a lot with supersets, eccentrics, doing a circuit of the weights (1 set of each exercise straight through and then cardio in between. We also do boxing too.

How about you, are you free to train your clients at work how you like???
zeedeveelgirl

Postby bluebox451 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:34 pm

I'm allowed to write up my own programs. He's sometimes a bit picky with what I do (he's an old school-style trainer) but I like to mix it up a little and do something different once in a while so they dont get bored. I love taking people to the park/stairs for something different, like you said circuits are always good and I love supersets (but clients hate them) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Group training with 12 people? - do you work at curves or something? The most I ever have is a group of three which are my own clients - not at the studio.
Liz
:)
bluebox451

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:20 pm

Yeah it's definitely good to mix it up for the client :) Keeps them on their toes and working them out in different ways.
Nah I don't work at Curves, we just have a big warehouse area out the back with free weights, a couple of lat pulldowns, cardio equipment (treadmills, spin bikes, climber, rower, stepups station) + a hell of a lot of boxing gear. We've also got a decent sized outside area where we do shuttle runs etc.
Each person has their own individual weights program and we are free to do what we want with the cardio. We try to make each session different for them! We also do one-on-ones there, and as we've only been open about 6 months our sessions usually have maximum 8 people. But as we get busier they'll start to fill up more!!

I absolutely love it anyway :) :)
Have you ever thought of doing PT full time, or cutting back at your other job???
zeedeveelgirl

Next

Return to Just Chatting