It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:59 pm

Free Newsletter

smokers, non smokers, used to be smoker???? a lil help!

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

smokers, non smokers, used to be smoker???? a lil help!

Postby slimm » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:41 am

hey hey guys and gals! a lil helpis needed

i need to give up smoking?

how have people done it??? any lil tips?
and how bad is to smoke while on a diet???

much love! teehee :o
slimm

Postby Ally » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

I gave up cold turkey and never looked back......I just woke up one morning and looked at them and thought, these things are going to kill me if I don't stop. I had one re-lapse when my daughter was in hospital a few years back, but did the same thing.....I know not all people can do this, but it worked for me.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:17 am

ewww grant!!! get rid of them lol. think about how healthy u are making ur body- do you really want to be consuming that drug into your lungs and body ? i dont smoke and have only had a drag when i was in highschool, so i cant tell u how to give up :(
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:01 pm

Hi Grant,

The first tme I quit smoking I was around 23. It was not easy. In fact, it was a daily battle NOT to smoke. I hated not smoking.

I started socially smoking about 4 months later and maintained that for about 5 years - I would just have a few cigarettes when I drank. Then I started smoking full-time again after a particularly decadent weekend. That was about six years ago.

I made it a new years resolution in 2002 to quit smoking. I didn't quit on Jan 1st cos I just knew that was impossible. Instead, I set a goal to quit by the end of Jan. And I stopped smoking on the 21st of Jan, 2002 and I haven't had a cigarette since. I did it cold turkey.

I found that reading the info on the Quit website about the repairs my body was making on a daily basis was helpful. It was good to discover things like getting tingly fingers was completely normal as your circulation improves. Stuff like that.

Alcohol was a key trigger for me to smoke, and going out with smoker friends. So I decided to avoid both for as long as possible. But a friend was having a birthday party and I didn't want to disappoint him so I went and got through that first night, drinking in a smokey bar, without caving into the craving and from then on, I knew I could do it.

So set yourself a mini-challenge like that to get through. If you can do it once, you can do it every time.

I put on a bit of weight as I was shoving food into my mouth on breaks between classes instead of smoking. But that didn't bother me so much because I was training in Taekwondo at the time and knew I would work it off. It was amazing as the weeks and months progressed at how much easier it was to breathe and how I not longer got puffed out during the warm up.

My brother recently quit and he used patches which although expensive, really helped him beat the cravings. So that might be something to consider.

Here's the gem for me -- I met my husband about 10 days after quitting. He said he would never have chased after me if I was a smoker :P -- so if it wasn't for me quitting, I would probably have a very different life!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:23 pm

its funny how different things work for differnt people. my sister tried to give up whilst pregnant with her second baby but ended up wearing the patches and still smoked a pack a day. the baby turned out fine and wasnt a low birth weight- he was 9lb 4oz!

my father in law had acupuncture and that has done the trick for him.

and the lozenges worked wonders for my sister :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Fairie » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:42 pm

I tried twice to give up, the second time I succeeded and have not had a smoke in almost 15 years. :D :D

I never used patches, it wasn't easy but not once have I ever thought of lighting up again. In the last 5 years I have been through a lot of family problems and been quite stressed out and it never even crossed my mind to start smoking again.

I feel the thing that helped me the most was "Vicks Vapour Drops". What has cold lozengers got to do with not smoking I hear you say, well everytime I wanted a smoke I would suck on one of these and they lasted a long time and I enjoyed the strong menthol flavour. :? :lol:
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby slimm » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:50 pm

well ima trying to quit this monday cold.. ill let u no how i go.. might have to pop past the shop on the way to work and get some lollies thingos! :P

thanks for the help!
slimm

Postby KimE » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:41 pm

I like Ally quit cold turkey. I was never a big smoker unless I was drinking but found I started to smoke more during lunches as many of the other people I worked with smoked too....back in the days when you could smoke on work premises. LOL that makes me sound really old now.

Anyway I decided it was time to quit and I did, I think I stopped when I was around 24 or something.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby vinyard » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:25 pm

heyas

i smoked for about 5 years everyday and when i got drunk as i went through 2 packs in the night :/... i quit about 3 times .... all at about 4 months than started again... but than i just decided to go cold turkey and join the gym, its been 6months now no ciggies... best thing ive ever done!
vinyard

Postby Jisgone » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:13 pm

if you can beat a nicotine addiction u should be able to lose weight no worries :P ive never smoked but i have some friends who do :(
my best friend will smoke like a chimney when her bf is around, but when its just me and her she doesnt do it
Jisgone

Postby milo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:35 pm

I used to smoke a packet a day :oops:

And dh and I made a decision that if we wanted to move out of the hell house we shared with a girl we could only afford it by giving up smoking. So we just gave uo cold turkey. I was in a kranky mood for a few weeks but I got through it. Maybe because he was going threw the same thing.

I think cold turkey is the best way to do it. Give it a go, let us know how you go

good luck
Mel :)

WEEK 1 - 86.5 kg
WEEK 2 - 84.9kg
milo

Postby hushpuppy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:42 pm

I gave up when i was pregnant . But i do know that it was important to keep my hands busy so i wasnt tepted . Even if it was just figiting (sp) with something then i was more distracted not to put a smoke in it
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:57 am

I went cold turkey too. Wrote down a list of the reasons why I wanted to quit, stuck it to my bathroom mirror and that was that. 18 months and I wouldn't dream of taking it up again.

I did have a few bad times...but found http://www.quitnet.com to be quite a useful site. It's got information about quitting plus forums and groups and all sorts of things to help you quit. There is a paid service but I never did that...just used the parts of the site that were free.

The things that helped me most in the early days were:

1) Keeping busy. I had a list of about 30 or 40 things to do whenever I got bored or had a few minutes to spare or craved a cigarette.

2) Whenever I had a craving for a smoke I would use the "not for the next 15 minutes" trick. I would tell myself that I could have a cigarette but not for 15 minutes. Then I'd get busy doing something else. If at the end of the 15 minutes I still wanted a cigarette I'd tell myself "not for the next 15 minutes". I don't know why but somehow the brain is able to deal with little blocks of time far easier than if you say "I can never have another cigarette".

3) Thinking of how much it must be annoying the government that it would no longer be receving all that tax money from me :)
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)
mary_in_adelaide

Postby electrongirl » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:38 am

I started smoking in year 9 and quit so many times I can't even guess how many.

I did have years at a time without smoking but for some reason or other I took it up again. One time was the stress from my boyfriend (now ex) father being diagnosed with lung cancer with secondary brain tumors, from smoking!! Ironic yes?

I finally quit for good in April 2005, 1 month before I was due to fly to the US to meet my now hubby. He didn't smoke and also I didn't like the idea of such long flights without smoking. So I gave up cold turkey.

I havn't had one since and I am doing fine!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:51 am

hey nikki did u meet ur hubby online? i saw the great photos on ur photo site - you guys are so cute together :)

p.s. the toys r us photos were funny!
kate_turner2000

Next

Return to Just Chatting