It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:27 am

Free Newsletter

Kids....

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Kids....

Postby yummymummy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:39 pm

My son is driving me absolutely bonkers at the moment, he has always been a "energetic" lad to say the least but he is over the top at the moment, I seem to spend my day with him in time out because he is constantly up to no good, Im getting myself so bloody stressed about it that my hubby thinks Im loosing my mind :?
I need a super nanny to save me!
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Chelle » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:11 am

Your not losing you mind I know how you feel jody my mum calls my children high maintence children as they are always up to no good & always doing the wrong thing. I think to myself why me you go to all these place & you see these well behaved children then you see mine & think why can't my two be like those children. I even looked into what types of food that sends them off but still they are feral..
It's good to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with up to no good children that there are other people dealing with the same issues
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:40 am

as chelle said there are particular foods that can trigger their behaviour. dont give him:

citrus fruits
tomatoes
tomato sauce
artificial colours and flavours
soft drinks
cordials
juices

im not sure how old he is? but get down to his level and explain to him that u dont like his behaviour and if it continues he will have things taken away from him- whatever he enjoys doing like gameboy or xbox etc take it away from him until he can learn to behave himself. half the time kids dont stay in time out because they push the parents to see how far they can go. if u try time out methods u need to tell him in a firm voice 'it makes me cross when u dont listen to my words. u need to stay on the chair until i say u cAN get off' dont show him attention but dont go too far- if he moves put him back on the chair. try to amuse him- he is probably bored- boys in particular have a short attention span and are always go go go! try to divert his behaviour becfore it gets out of hand. give him special jobs around the house to help you with- preparing meals or 'fixing something'. depending on his age u can start a reward chart. its not bribery but you can refer to it if you feel things are getting out of hand. "johnny wow look at all those stars on your chart! if you continue to do the right thing you will have more stars and we can get you that ice block or go to the movies etc'
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Jody, I know exactly what you are going through. My 3 year old is the same some days, and it means that you get very little done. It is sooo easy to get stressed out, and the more stressed out you get, the more out of hand the kids get, and so it goes round.

The trick that has worked for me over the years (my eldest is 16), is a) try to be totally calm and relaxed yourself(not easy I know - it will take practice).
B) Be consistent with whatever discipline that you choose, and whatever rules that are incorporated into your routine eg: child has to make his bed everyday - make sure that it actually gets done.
c)Relax your own strict code. I used to panic about the house being perfect, now I don't worry if things are not done 100% or things get a little untidy. I would rather spend time with my kids, knowing as I do that they are here for such a short time. I will have all the time in the world to clean etc, when they are all grown up.

Good luck with it. Just remember that kids don't come with a set of instructions, and what works one day often won't work the next. It also helps if you have someone in the same boat to talk to. Have you maybe tried the local playgroup? I often found that after I had been there I felt that my kids were the best of the bunch :lol:

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Chunkster » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:58 am

Man...reading that is scary... :shock: I don't have kids...I do have 2 kittens though and they are driving me crazy. It frightens me to think about how kids can do your head in so much. I think I'll stick to the kittens for the moment and leave the serious stuff to all you brave ladies!!! :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wamVCMb/]
[/url]
Chunkster

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:02 am

lol im a child care worker so i have worked with other peoples kids before i had my own little "angel" PMSL and its easier with other kids than ur own! you can hand those kiddies back at the end of the day this one is attached 24 7 hah. BUT I LOVE HER TO BITS AND WOULDNT HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:06 am

Me either Kate :!: :!: :!:

In fact mine are headed off to their Dad's over Easter and I will probably be totally lost :lol:

Judy

[/url]
Justjudy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:09 am

LOL just stay away from the choccies judy!! head over to lollys new place to spend time with her kids :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:11 am

I have friends coming down from Qld, and they will have their two with them, so I will have substitutes to spoil :lol:

Judy :D

[/url]
Justjudy

Postby yummymummy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:45 am

AGH I must be mad today my boy is meant to be at kindy which we all have been looking forward to this weekend but Ive let them all stay home because its going to be 42' and very hoy today :? so no break for the CRAZY mummy
Ive gone thru his diet when he was younger and altered it a bit I use a website called "sick of additives"or something like that it was written by an australian mum with overactive kids, its helped a little I will track the website down and post it here.
Thanks for listening girls!!
Jody

[/url]
yummymummy

Postby lollilova » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:10 pm

Yep Jody,

YOU ARE MAD! You have the oportunity to send your cherubs off for the day and you dont take it! LOL Although I know what you mean as I have been tempted not to send my boy to day care several times as he always comes home VERY thirsty (which cant be good for a 2 year old).

Seriously though, when is the hot weather going to end? :roll:

Kate, I tried to do the whole 'get down to his level' with my boy, but all it seemed to do was make him giggle and he crouched down too. This resulted in both of us rolling on the floor laughing. :shock: Which really isn't a very good example! I think he is still a little young for that, so now I just tell him off, sit him down on the spot but away from temptation (toys etc). So far it is working.

Good luck Jody with the rest of your week. I agree with Judy, you have to stay as calm as possible.

Bianca
Bianca x

lollilova

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:13 pm

LOL i laughed imagining you two rolling around the floor laughing lol. u dont have to actually crouch down u can take him to a lounge or sit down on the floor with him haha. but keep doing what u are doing if it is working!

whoever said that kids dont come with instruction manuals are right! its a tuff job being a mum!
kate_turner2000

Postby yummymummy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:55 pm

My kids used to do that too! I'd crouch down to talk to them so they would crouch down too So cute!!
I agree Biance the heat is awful and another hot one tomorrow Rileys kindy is in a demountable and it would have been so hot for him so I couldnt send him he would have come home in a little puddle of sweat!
Jody

[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Justjudy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:08 pm

Been through the crouch down thing, and it is very cute - not to mention funny :lol:

Don't they have air conditioning in your preschools/daycare centres. :shock: It is nowhere near as hot here, and everything is air conditioned. If you have the opportunity to take them somewhere else and have some time out to yourself, take it, regardless of the temperature. It does both of you good to have time away from one another. :D

Judy

[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Dee » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:21 pm

My son is DRIVING ME MAD at the moment :evil:

He's normally a REALLY good kid - energetic, but polite, helpful and really sensitive to other kids, etc. But lately he's been doing really naughty things.
Today I hear that last week at after school sports he copied a couple of other boys and mooned his teammates.
A few days ago he tried to cut a straight line in my couch. (When I asked him what he was thinking he said to me " I can't cut a straight line on paper, so I tried something else." GGRRRRRRR.

I'm running out of ideas - because he's such a good kid normally, but these are BIG bad behaviours, they're just plain naughty and I find myself wanting to belt him one! (No in answer to all who are freaking out, I haven't yet bashed him. :wink: )

Any inspiration from you guys?

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Next

Return to Just Chatting