It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:37 am

Free Newsletter

weightloss patients

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

weightloss patients

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:07 am

Weight-loss patients suffer mental woes
March 5, 2007 - 10:39AM

About two-thirds of people seeking weight-loss surgery have suffered from a psychiatric disorder at some point in their lives, and personality disorders are also common among this group, according to researchers.

As reported in the American Journal of Psychiatry, Dr Melissa A Kalarchian and colleagues from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Centre used standard questionnaires to assess psychiatric disorders in 288 patients hoping to have weight-loss surgery.

The group was 83 per cent female and 88 per cent white, with an average age of 46 years. Their average body mass index was 52. By comparison, a BMI of 25 is considered normal, 27 is overweight, and 30 and above is obese.

Overall, 66 per cent of subjects had a lifetime history of at least one psychiatric disorder, most commonly major depressive disorder. Also, 38 per cent were currently diagnosed with such a disorder, most often binge eating disorder.

A lifetime history of personality disorder was noted in 28 per cent of the subjects, the most common being avoidant personality disorder.

The findings, the investigators point out, "are consistent with studies suggesting psychosocial impairment among (weight-loss) surgery patients."

The team's future work, they say, "will focus on the course of psychiatric disorder during the post-surgery period and its relationship to weight loss and maintenance."

© 2007 Reuters, Click for Restrictions
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:09 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Fairie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:53 pm

:? :? :? :? :? :?
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:56 pm

I would like to see the study that came from. While I wouldn't question the figures, I would like to know how they define the disorders and most importantly the average lifetime prevalence for the disorders they are specifying. I will be able to find this out for you, but will need to do some looking so watch this space and I will try to come back at some point with a comparison for the general population.

What I am saying is - what is the significance of this many people having psychiatric disorders? Is this more than the general population or about the same or even less? What are they comparing this population to? I know that depressive illnesses are highly common, particularly when talking about lifetime prevalence (i.e people who have ever had it ever in their lives) but can't remember the exact percentage.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:57 pm

i dunno, i found it on sydney morning herald
http://www.smh.com.au

you could email them for more info
kate_turner2000

Re: weightloss patients

Postby Dee » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:29 pm

kate_turner2000 wrote:Weight-loss patients suffer mental woes
March 5, 2007 - 10:39AM

About two-thirds of people seeking weight-loss surgery have suffered from a psychiatric disorder at some point in their lives

duh! Sorry, but I wonder at who bothers putting together reports that essentially say people who are so desperate about their weight that they seek surgery have at some point in their lives been depressed! Anybody who has ever been overweight knows how depressing it can get, and anybody who has ever been depressed can tell you how easily that can lead to increased weight gain (due largely to emotional eating)

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby lollilova » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:53 am

I new a girl who had lap band surgery and barely lost any weight with it. She always beleived she didn't have any other choice than have the op, but after seeing this site, and the inspiration that comes from you guys, I know she could have done it the 'sensible' way.

Anyway... she was quite depressed before, and even more so after as it didn't work! (i personally think she didn't make it work as she still ate bad food afterwards too)

Bianca
Bianca x

lollilova

Postby Justjudy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:27 am

Bianca I also know someone who went through not losing weight after lap band surgery. She worked out how to cheat the system, and as an emotional eater, cheated often. :shock: The biggest problem is that lap band surgery only deals with the physical, not the mental/emotional issues at hand.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:50 pm

I checked on my uni databases - we do get the journal and I located the article - but it's so recent (study was published this year) that it's not yet on the e-journal. I imagine they had examined and explained the concerns I have (re the comparison to baseline disorder rates), however media doesn't always report studies the way they should be (often because they may not understand the issues). Will keep my eye out when it comes on line and update you.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Vegetable » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:38 am

I knew a woman who's starting weight was about 160kgs. She had lap band surgery and amazingly got down to 70kgs in 2 years. After reaching goal, she got complacent and in 7 months ate her way back to 140 kgs...... :shock: She said she knew she wasnt hungry, but the surgery hadnt taken away the urge to eat (out of boredom, lonliness, depression, happiness, etc) She has since decided that she is doomed to weigh 140 + kgs :shock:
Vegetable

Postby Bandit » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:32 pm

I'd think if they did that study on the general population, they'd find that most overweight people had suffered 'mental woes' or depression at some point in their lives, not just those seeking weight loss surgery.

I've never had classic depression symptoms, but I've certainly had some depressing moments because of weight - like when you can't find anything that fits/looks nice in the wardrobe, so you decide you're just too fat, & you don't go to that social event/party. Someone makes a comment, & it has you upset/down for days. I'm sure most of you can relate.

I had my lap-band placed nearly 2 months ago, & have lost 18kg so far. It is something you have to commit to as a lifestyle change, not a 'magic cure'. The band helps with the portion sizes, & feeling full sooner, but the owner has to still choose healthy foods, & exercise (I've been hitting the gym 3x weekly)

Liquid calories - icecream, chocolate etc will go down very easily, so it is quite easy to 'cheat' the band, as some of your friends have done. I choose not to 'cheat', though I want to live like a normal person too, so I am sure that if we're out & I want dessert, I WILL have a little. Right now, I'm enjoying the weightloss, so I've just avoided anything like that. The key, like all weightloss efforts (& slim peoples' meals!) is moderation!
Bandit

Postby Chelle » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:34 pm

interesting
Chelle

Return to Just Chatting