It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:19 am

Free Newsletter

Thin Models Banned

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Thin Models Banned

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:16 am

Ban skinny models
March 5, 2007

Organisers of Australian Fashion Week are moving to introduce healthy weight guidelines for models, as doctors say the waif-thin young women promote eating disorders.

Fashion week boss Simon Lock said the industry had approached the issue responsibly.

"We don't want to see young girls hurting themselves in any way," he told ABC TV.

The guidelines, similar to those existing in Spain and Italy, should be in place in time for next month's Australian Fashion Week, from April 30 to May 4.

The move coincides with Australian Medical Association (AMA) calls on the federal government to introduce healthy Body Mass Index (BMI) guidelines for fashion models to address eating disorders among young people.

BMI is a measure of the weight of a person scaled according to height.

The debate over waif-thin models, and body image, intensified last year when the organisers of the Madrid fashion week banned models with a BMI of less than 18.

According to the scale, people are considered underweight if they have a BMI below 18.5.

AMA president Dr Mukesh Haikerwal, said there are serious physical and mental health issues in the community around people aspiring to look like underweight models.

"Body image and self esteem among teenagers and young women in particular are heavily influenced by models in magazines and on TV," Dr Haikerwal said.

"The pursuit of the perfect look leads to a whole range of health threats such as eating disorders, dangerous dieting habits, smoking and depression," he said.

The AMA has called on the federal government to work together with the fashion industry and health professionals to introduce BMI guidelines to control the body image promoted by fashion models.

Dr Haikerwal said such guidelines would help prevent low self esteem and poor health among people who are influenced by unrealistic body images.

"We need to do something soon to prevent young people, especially girls, from harming themselves in the pursuit of a false ideal," Dr Haikerwal said.

"Government guidelines could cover the appropriate BMI for models and the most appropriate age for models projecting certain images."

"The guidelines would ensure that models are models of good health," he said.

AAP
kate_turner2000

Postby electrongirl » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am

Finally!!!!

I never got the "I can see her bones" thing.

Who thinks that is attractive?? I believe curves are sexy!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Justjudy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:00 pm

Thank God for that!

The BMI guideline for Madrid was bought in after a model actually died as a result of trying to be absolutely stick thin. Panic happened naturally, and the BMI measure was bought in so that legal action couldn't follow any other cases of models starving themselves and then dying from complications.

I think that girls that are a healthy weight, with curves are far more attractive, than ones with bones sticking out everywhere. Who wants to cuddle up to a bag of bones anyway????????

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:03 pm

i like seeing fuller figured models. in last weeks womans day they showed rachael hunter moedling her new line of swim wear and it was nice to see some images of a curvaceous woman. i was always told that its the designers putting the pressure on the models as they like to see their garments on a thin body to get the full effect of what theyre trying to create.
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:08 pm

'Bout bloody time!!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Fairie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:55 pm

I'll second Ally's 'Bout bloody time!!!!
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Return to Just Chatting