It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:48 pm

Free Newsletter

i want to be an Emergency doctor or nurse

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

i want to be an Emergency doctor or nurse

Postby grugwashere » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:01 am

i would love to be a doctor or a nurse... but there is a slight problem im not smart enough... im not very good at maths and in year 12 ididnt even do it... i ave never done chem and i didnt get a very good score for bio (through lack of study) do u think its worth me trying to become either of these.. most likely a nurse.....

is anyone here either of those things?
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:03 am

hey jo

i think thats wonderful that you want to help people for a living :) good on u! there are a couple of ladies who are nurses and mandie is becoming a dr so perhaps they can help you with details on how to get into it. but i say follow ur heart. if you are dedicated and willing to learn then u will go far. dont let anything stop u reaching ur goals in life. best wishes
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:46 am

Hey Grug - what an admirable ambition.

Did you know you don't have to go to university to become a nurse? You can go to TAFE and do a 2 year 'Diploma of Nursing' to become a Division 2 Nurse.

See this site and select which state you're from to find out further information.

http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au/jo ... ?jobid=614

And don't worry about not having Year 12. You can always apply as a 'mature age' student. Not sure exactly what the specific of 'mature age' are - it could be as young as 19 or a one year out of high school. Check with your local TAFE.

Another option would be to consider doing a Certificate III in Personal Care (or Aged Care) to get a foot in the door. This is just one semester full-time and earns you the basic qualification to work as a Personal Care Attendent (PCA), say in a Nursing Home or Hostel. You would then probably be able to articulate into the Nursing Diploma, and still get work in your area of interest while you continue to study and get exemptions from those subjects you've already studied.

So there's more than one way to reach your goal.

My husband works in a nursing home and loves it. You'll find that the people attracted to this care industry have the kindest hearts and are just the loveliest people, so he gets on well with everyone. I bet you must have a big heart, too.

I personally love study. I have spent almost 10 years during my 'adult life' studying one course or another. I don't do it for the qualifications, I do it because I love to keep my brain active and I find that it opens many doors.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby grugwashere » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:01 am

cool sounds awesome... i probably wont be able to do it for a while.. as my parents want me to move out... and i currently work full time but one day i will do it...
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby yummymummy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:21 am

Im a nurse! I love it I dont work in emergency because I didnt really like it, it was alot more boring that what you see on tv!! I work in gyne/oncology and am hoping to do some more studies to specialize in this area. I went back to uni as a mature age student and got thru my degree with honours and I am no smarty pants I just found that because it was something that intersted me I got thru all the work. Medicine is a huge commitment and I admire anyone who can go thru everything it needs to become a Dr-its not something I have the ability to do, a old uni friend of mine went back to uni when she was in her mid 40s to do medicine which is great!
I wouldnt recomment the TAFE course for nursing which allows you to become an enrolled nurse because you work just as hard as an RN annd the pay as really bad without much room to grow in the hospital system
Go for it dont leave any room for regrets in your life!!!
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Chelle » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:08 pm

What about doing a traineeship through the ambulance go on there wesite there is info on there http://www.ambulance.nsw.gov.au/
Chelle

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:38 pm

If you want to do it, go for it. I was never good at maths etc either and when I discovered my chosen field is full of statistics I was worried, but threw myself into it and ended up getting my best marks in it!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby 13words » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:09 pm

I'm at UNI doing nursing at the moment!! I love it, it's brilliant. You don't need maths to get into it, as long as you have around 68 points from your pre-tertiary classes you should be right! I'm in year two at the moment, I'm going to do mental health/psychiatric nursing! 8)
SW: 126.4
CW: 103s
1st GW: 99.9
13words

Return to Just Chatting