It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:26 am

Free Newsletter

Airlines

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Airlines

Postby electrongirl » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:41 pm

Hubby & I are planning on going to the US (his hometown) in December and are trying to get ideas on who to fly with.

I have flown with Qantas and loved them, but they are pricey.

North Western were awful.

Malaysian are the cheapest but I don't have any experience with them.

Anyone have experiences they'd like to share?

Thanks
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:53 pm

hey nikki wow that would be very exciting!

i have only flown with qantas which i thought were fab! but around africa we flew mostly with zimbabwe air however our qantas flights were actually zimbabwe air aswell however it was a qantas plane. of course the usa arent going to have zimbabwe air but perhaps there are some american airlines that u can fly with that work out cheaper however they use a qantas jet? just something to look into
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:54 pm

I've only used Qantas to the states, too.

I flew Malaysian last year. We stopped for a week in KL on our way to Korea. The flight to KL was awesome -- we had our own on demand entertainment (play video games, watch whatever movie you want etc.) and the food was great and seemed to just keep coming and coming.

However, going to and from Korea was awful cos it was a small plane, no entertainment etc. But fortunately it wasn't as long as the trip from Australia. I think it comes down to what type of plane you get. I'd imagine that if you're flying to LA, you'd get a lovely BIG plane with all the latest gadgets. Anyway you can find out what type of plane each leg of the journey is?

Coming home from KL back to Australia was also awful because despite the good plane, it was an overnight flight and I hate those, cos I can never sleep. I took two sleeping pills but they didn't knock me out, just left me in a state of limbo where I couldn't watch any movies, or read, or sleep either!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Sassygirl » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:35 pm

My friend works for Singapore Airlines and recommends them highly. I have only flown Qantas as well so cannot compare for you. USA how fantastic Nikki!! We are off to UK next year with the kids so am looking forward to that as well!!
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby milkyway » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:03 pm

Singapore are pretty good.

However, I had the unfortunate experience of flight back from Singapore some years ago that had come direct from Mumbai to Singapore on its way to Melbourne and it was the ghastliest stench I had to endure for 8 hours. It was a seriously smelly flight! The lady next me drenched a handkerchief with prefume and I don't know what was worse - the stench of her perfume trying to drown out the B.O. or the B.O. on its own. And the toilets were disgusting. Let's just say that airline toilets are only so good at flushing some stuff away...

So that's kind of put me off them. :lol:

I also like Thai airlines. Have only had positive experiences with them. I would choose to travel with them whenever I could... but I'm such a tightarse when it comes to travel that I usually go with the cheapest ticket I can find.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby ZelmaWA » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:26 pm

We flew to and from the US with Cathay Pacific a year and a half ago and certainly don't have any complaints. We did fly Business Class (promised myself that after flying at my heaviest once) but I have a feeling that the service on the whole plane was pretty good.

I am SO envious! I would love to go back. We went up the west coast from San Diego to Seattle and ducked across to Victoria in Vancouver Island, Canada. Had a wonderful time and I can't wait to be able to go back.

If I remember rightly, we flew Malaysian to Canada about 7 years ago, to my hubby's hometown, and they were pretty good. We actually flew to the US and took a smaller flight up to Canada. I was really big then, so the smaller plane wasn't a lot of fun, but the service was great.

Have fun!

Zelma
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at: http://www.zelma.neilknobbe.com
ZelmaWA

Postby Chelle » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:57 pm

I just got back from Honkers (Hong Kong) & I flew with Qantas they were good
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:07 pm

Image Chelle :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:39 pm

Yeah I had a really good jamed packed holiday it was full on & freezing cold too the first day we arrived it was 10 degrees the coldest day of the year it said in the paper I didn't really pack too many warm clothes as the weather beau said it was going to warmer. Disneyland was good pitty my kids were back at home they would of enjoyed it. I was a bit dissapointed with the shopping I was hard to try on clothes as many of the shops didn't alow you to try on clothes before you buy as I walked out because I wasn't going to buy anything if I could't try anything on before hand so I dind't spend as much as thought I was going to over there. China was a bit of an eye opener I didn't go to the toilet all day as they only had dirty hole into the ground toilets & I had just got my periods that day. It was amazing the difference between Hong Kong to china. Everything form toilets to even driving on the oppisite side of the road. hong kong were english speeking & had englsih writing every so it was so easy to get around- Hong Kong, where china not many people spoke english & were very stanoffish. Some parts of Hong Kong wern't that nice but I must say there train station was emaculate very clean & I didn't see one bit of graffitti either much better the australia trainstations & runs on time too. every morning & night you see people polishing. everything. I enjoyed myself self but I think coz my hubby & children wern't there I would of enjoyed it even more if they were there
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:41 pm

wow definately sounds loike an eye opener! did you take photos? how come ur family werent there? was it a working holiday? heidi would love disneyland- i would love disneyland!! there are so many places id love to travel overseas. ive done africa and want to do europe next :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:16 pm

Sounds like you had a fantastic time Chelle. Bet it was good to get back to your family though.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Chelle » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:51 pm

I went to Hong Kong with my mum & a group of 5 girls & meet up with another 8 over there it was my mums BF 50th Birthday my mum & her travelled to america disneyland & hong kong when they were 18 so she wanted to go ther again for her 50th & anyone could come along. I went ther because it would be a place that warren would never want to see so I took up the opportunity. It was good to be back as I miss my boys so much as I have never been away from them before I had a few tears the next day when I arrived at HK when I spoke to my hubby to see how the boys were doing without me & my youngest cried into he morning when he couldn't find me in the house as he is to young to understand where I was.
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:54 pm

aw thats so sad :( yeah asia isnt somewhere mick or i are interested in seeing but what a great idea for you guys to get over there for a few days.
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:31 pm

Chelle, I lived in China for about 3 months a few years ago and that more than enough -- I ran away because I couldn't hack it anymore -- it certainly is an eye opener.

But I quickly got used to using any old toilet (no doors, no running water... gross, eh?) 'cos I had a mild case of food poisoning almost the entire time i was there!

If you're ever looking for a great place to kids on holiday, may I suggest Brunei? They have THE most amazing amusement park built by one of their prince's as a gift to the people... but the funny thing is, nobody goes!

I went with friends who live in Brunei and they were amazed by the queue to get in... there were 2 people in front of us. :lol: And when we wanted to get on a ride, we had to disturb the workers who were sitting around playing cards... so we got the roller coaster all to ourselves. For me, it was like a dream come true :D

Warm, safe, clean -- great place for a holiday (but BYO beer ;))
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Chelle » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:16 pm

may I suggest Brunei

Where is Brunei?? milkyway I have never heard of the place before

I was lucky to bring my own toilt paper jut incase I went to a place that didn't have any lucky because there was none in china at all not that I went to any of the toilets that had a whole in the ground, but everyone else that I went with needed to borrow the paper of me
Chelle

Next

Return to Just Chatting