It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:25 am

Free Newsletter

Any mum's out there!!!! Toilet training

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Any mum's out there!!!! Toilet training

Postby Chelle » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:32 am

I know this well off the topic here but I just can't train my second child to go to the toilet I have been trying for about 2 months now & every day is the same thing it is so frustrating because it took my first child joshua 2 weeks to get out of nappies including nights. So I was hoping braydon would do the same thing, but no he won't learn will he. He will sit on the toilet, but one minute later after getting off the toilet he will do a wee I just don't think that he know's how to control his bladder or even know when he need to go to the toilet for that matter. Today I had the first sussess he did number 2 on the toilet & he was so proud of himself & was excited for him. But I always thought that number2 would take the longest time than doing number1, well that what happened to josh & all my friends that have children.

Can anyone give me any tips on toilet training, because I tried a lot of ways but it is just not working, & I'm sick of washing all those wet clothes????????
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:03 pm

Hi chelle my sister found it easier to toilet train her first son too and her second one she had problems toilet training. heidi isnt up to that stage yet, but working in child care we had a couple of different techniques we use.

lots of encouragement and praise
not making a big fuss over accidents
lots of reminders and *toilet break times*
reward charts

i would love for heidi to be toilet trained by january next year but it all depends on when she is ready. when she knows her bowel and bladder movements, and the cognitive ability of toilet training as well as physically being able to undo her clothes, and get up on the toilet- (im not going to use a potty). you could also get him to pick out some funky posters or pictures to hang in the toilet to make it a pleasant place for him to be. and make sure there is a stool in there for him to get up to the toilets height as well as a clear and easy passage too and from the toilet so he isnt restricted. best wishes!!
kate_turner2000

Postby Vegetable » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:40 pm

I started toiled training my little boy at 2 1/2, and it took forever. Many many wet jocks, poos on the floor, it was not fun! He would not sit on the toilet or even a potty, even if I put him on it every 10 mins, so he would hold on ALL DAY until he was so busting that he wee'd or poo'd his pants and then started to cry from embarrassment. I started using encouragements, like stickers or a few lolly snakes if he did manage to go in the loo and not in his pants. One day, all of a sudden at about age 3 (he was quite old) he just suddenly "got it" Do you let him watch his brother/dad/you go to the toilet? So that he sees its not a big deal? Maybe you could get him to watch your oldest go, and make sure you make a huge deal out of him, hes such a big boy going to the toilet, you are so proud of him, and give him a treat in front of your other child and emphasise that its for him going to the loo. (he may be upset initially that he doesnt get a treat, Be strong! but he will realize that to get the treat, he needs to use the loo, or to try) If he does a wee or poo in his pants, leave him wet for a minute so he "feels" the yucky feelings of wee's and poo's and that it is uncomfortable, before you change his pants. Also, in my experience those training pants were not much help, just like a nappy.
Does he go to childcare? Sometimes seeing his peers go can make a huge difference (in the last 6 months after seeing it at childcare, my little boy now stands up to wee) Also, something I do to improve my little boy's aim is to draw a target on a pingpong ball. I put it in the toilet, and he aims for it. Its made a big difference in spills on the bathroom floor :lol: And it doesnt flush down either.
My son is 4 in a week, and pooing on the toilet has really only started in the last 3 months or so, mainly because I think now he really recognises that it is a yucky feeling. We are working on him not weeing the bed at the moment :roll: good times! :D LOL
Vegetable

Postby Vegetable » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:41 pm

sorry so long BTW
Vegetable

Postby Justjudy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:59 pm

Chelle, I used the two P method - lots of Pants and lots of Patience. Maybe he is not quite ready yet, each child is different (I had 3 and they were all different ages when they were trained). One day it will all just "click" and he will decide to do it, all I can suggest is to give him plenty of time, it will happen eventually.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Ally » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:15 pm

I used a "P" method also.....Ping Pong ball in the toilet for my little fella and said righto Chris pee on that ball.......worked a treat and you can't flush them down the loo!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby I Can Do It » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:46 pm

we trained paris at 2 years 10 months by day, and she wasn't out of night nappies until she was 4. our philosophy is "don't rush".

it took about 2 weeks to train her fully, both day and night. how old is the little man?
I will get there by the last day of 2007!!!
I Can Do It

Postby Dee » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:20 pm

Don't push it - if he's not really ready yet - he's not gonna get it. Toilet training is a physical thing - not a mental thing, so if he hasn't got some bladder control he hasn't got a hope. I found bowel training much easier - Dane did this long before he bladder trained. We tried when Dane first turned two and it was a complete failure, tried again 6 months later and had no issues. One of my friends' didn't train until he was a few months past 3 - don't despair it'll happen when he's ready.

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby yummymummy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:45 am

How olds your son, I started TT when they turned 2 my girls got it within a month but my son took much much longer her just didnt get it at all, he is now 3 1/2 and would wet the bed each night if it wasnt for pull ups, I had a potty in the living room with us and if he had an accident I would say quick hop on the potty and evn if a splash made it there make a MASSIVE fuss about it with loads of praise it doesnt take them long to get the message
maybe stop for a month or so then try again
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Chelle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:21 pm

My first child Joshua is 4 1/2 now when he was 2 & 3 months it took him 2 weeks including nights to be out of nappies. Braydon who I am having trouble with now is 2 & 6 months old. I have been very patients, but I will try, everyday until he is ready. I have pretty much tried everything under the sun to get him to actually wee on the toilet. he will sit on the toilet & run to it everytime I say do you need to do wee's, I have read stories, sing songs played games, everything that you can imagine while he is on the toilet, Josh my oldest loves to show braydon how he to go to the toilet & I have made warren (dad) to show him what to do as well. But it just seems that he does not know when he is actually doing a wee because he dosn't know until I see that his undies are wet, If I catch him in the act he gives me this big beautiful cheeky smile & I run him to the toilet, but the damage has already been done. But I had success yesterday for the first time he done poo in the toilet, but is still doing wee's eveywhere else...
But it seems that he can control the bowel because he has never once done one in his undie's only when the nappie goes on at night.
I used a "P" method also.....Ping Pong ball in the toilet for my little fella and said righto Chris pee on that ball.......worked a treat and you can't flush them down the loo!!

The only thing that I have not tried was the ping pong idea by ally so I might give that one a try I guess it dosen't hurt, are you sure they are alright to flush down the toilet??????
Chelle

Postby I Can Do It » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:46 pm

i recommend to leave it for a month. i know your other child was easy to train, but every kid is different. try taking him with you each time you go to the loo, sitting him on a potty next to you. he may want to copy what you do!!
I will get there by the last day of 2007!!!
I Can Do It

Postby Ally » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:47 pm

Hey Chelle they don't actually flush down....I just left it in the loo and flushed when he had finished and it pops back up again!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Chelle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:25 pm

I get it now.. LOL I was thinking wouldn't it clog the pipes
Very blonde not thinking straight
Chelle

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:49 pm

MY son now 3 took 3 times to TT in that i mean we tried for weeks then gave it a rest because he was getting upset . tried again and he got ill . Now he is standing up to do a wee "like the big boys " . Patience is the key . We started off taking him out of nappies and put him on the puul up pants he loved them cause they have buzz lightyear on them and if they wet them he dissapears so that was kind of incentive . We then moved on to undies lol I took him to kmart where he could pick out who he liked so now he has bob the bulider undies as well as buzz. My advice is dont stress to much they will get it and it takes time
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Return to Just Chatting