It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:34 am

Free Newsletter

Stay at Home vs Working Mum/Dad

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby 13words » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:05 pm

My fiance' and I are both at UNI and we're going to have a kid after we graduate and spend a few years in the workforce together. He's doing accounting and I'm doing Nursing with plans to become a midwife or psychiatric nursing. Because accountants are monday - friday, 9-5, he is going to look after our kids on the weekends, and I will drop from full-time to part-time and work only on weekends and be a SAHM on weekdays for the first few years of their lives. As well as having holidays for us both to spend time with them etc. That way we'll both get quality time with them as well as time with each other and by ourselves, and will both be contributing to the payments and debts :)
SW: 126.4
CW: 103s
1st GW: 99.9

Postby Chelle » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:01 am

I choose to work night so I can spend as much time with my boys throught the day & also the child care matter it is a lot cheeper but I think things will change next year as my oldest starts school next year & it wont cost as much with only having 1 child in child care. As I am starting to get sick of working night's also so is my husband. He also want's me home at night too

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:47 pm

This topic is one of those that can get people REALLY riled for some weird reason.

I think different things work for different people in different situations. These days with living expenses and housing prices etc, it is very difficult for a family to live on 1 salary.

I don't have kids, yet, but when the time comes, I honestly think I would go bananas if I had to give up my career for 5+ years, only to find when I try to reenter that my 'skills base' is out of date and I am now unemployable without further university training. It would literally drive me to the edge of insanity because it is something that is really important to me. Hell I'm doing 8 years of Uni to do it!!!

An interesting thing some young families at work are doing is both partners working part time plus a day or 2 at daycare which seems to work quite well. I wouldn't mind looking at that format, but then there's the availability of daycare places.

Then there's the whole thing about stay at home dads. Women have been 'empowered' to have it all - but men still aren't 'empowered' to be able to take on the traditionally feminine homebody role and still get odd looks if they say they look after the kids during the day!! Basically that means women are now expected to work double shift, while men are still stuck only in the office!

Basically it's a complex issue and different families need to work it out according to their needs.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Jisgone » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:55 pm

the guy im seeing wants to be a stay at home dad and home school his kids, living in the country with a huge house and lots of animals :P
for me i think ide want to stay at home for the first year, then maybe go back to part time work

Postby Sassygirl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:16 pm

I love my job - and I am lucky that I still get to go and see them play in the school band or get an award - I told my boss that when I came on full time that my children will always come first and he understands that. I would love to get an admin job in a school - so that is my goal by the end of 2008 (when my eldest goes to highschool).
2008 - my year to be great!!

Return to Just Chatting