It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:53 pm

Free Newsletter

Dentist

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Dentist

Postby yummymummy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:40 pm

:( I finally did it and made myself a dentist appointment, I really dont wanna go but my teeth need work badly
anyone else have a fear of the dentist :?:
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Sassygirl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:20 pm

I don't fear them as much as I used to. I actually went not that long ago (about 3 weeks) and although I hadn't been for 4 years - all I needed was a good clean and that was all. Your in Perth arn't you?? Which dentist to you go to? I go to the South Calley Dentle Clinic opposite Target - Dr Mark Leahy. Really nice dentist.

Good luck!!!
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:49 pm

good on you jody!! i had braces when i was a teenager and my teeth have gone crooked again :S would like to go and get some holes filled and my teeth straightened again by a different orthodontist however i cant afford it! dentists are expensive!!! bets wishes and i hope it goes well for you
kate_turner2000

Postby I Can Do It » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:53 pm

i have a morbid fear of the dentist. ask for gas and take really deep breaths on it - the stuff works a treat.

and be sure to tell the dentist that you are afraid - many are sympathetic.

good luck!!!!
I will get there by the last day of 2007!!!
I Can Do It

Postby Dee » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:43 pm

I'm not so afraid of the dentist, more the bills they charge you!

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Chelle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:44 am

I have a massive fear of the dentist. I had a really bad rotton tooth once & i knew that it had to be taken out so I left it there for years until I couldn't stand it any more & my hubby made me go get it out.

i had braces when i was a teenager and my teeth have gone crooked again

Same here kate, I couldn't wear the plate it kept making me throw up so I didn't wear it & the teeth went crooked again
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:47 am

hey chelle my second oldest sister also had braces to fix a gap in her two front teeth and now the teeth have just sprung apart again. its a lot of money for it to not work :(
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:05 pm

One good thing about going to the dentist... you probably won't be able to eat for a while afterwards. Especially if you have had anaesthetic :)

I'm not too scared of the dentist, but I have been through all the orthodontic stuff when I was little. I even had to see a periodontist (a gum doctor I guess) and they cut the ligaments in my gums that were causing my teeth to go crooked! I wasn't scared at all lol. When I had fillings a couple of years back, I asked the dentist for another needle as I didn't think I was numb enough :lol:

You will be fine I am sure, Jody. The dentists are professionals and won't do anything to hurt you. Just think of something else... or see if you can scam some valium from somewhere :wink: (that worked heaps for me when I had laser eye surgery lol)
SarahC

Postby Sassygirl » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:45 pm

Sarah were you long or short sighted?
I am thinking of having it done so if you could give me your experience/opinion it would be greatly appreciated!

Sassygirl

Postby SarahC » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:16 pm

I only had it done so I could get into the Navy. So, I'm a bit cheesed off that I had it done and it turned out to be for no reason at all (I was only in for a year). I really quite liked my glasses and I still miss them :(

The procedure is not too bad, not that scary at all. But that could be the valium talking :lol: My mum came in to the room as well so that helped. She could see it all on a TV screen! It was kinda cool waking up the next morning and being able to see stuff through the holes in the eye patches I had to wear. But I still miss my glasses.... :cry:

If you really hate wearing glasses that much then I'd say go for it. Otherwise don't bother :? Let me know if you have anymore questions!
SarahC

Postby Sassygirl » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:39 pm

I actually don't mind my glasses - but I was going to use it as a reward when I hit my goal weight. Hubbie says I can do it but I am alittle aprehensive about it (you never hear about the procedures that go wrong do you?!?!)

I wear contacts (pain in backside) and my glasses are rimless so you cannot see that I am wearing them.

Thanks for the info!!

Sassygirl

Postby yummymummy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:43 am

hi sassygirl, my mum goes to that dentist, Ive booked myself into one near my place in willagee, hopefully he is OK :?
Agh Im nervous I dont think its the pain that freaks me out(Ive had worse and survived!) its just so intimidating for some reason
:cry: Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby electrongirl » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:52 am

I've never been scared of the dentist... I'm one of those freaks who doesn't mind any kind of medical/dentist type procedures.

I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted in the chair, they even had to chisel away jaw bone to get to them. Didn't bother me at all.

Needles also don't bother me either....

yep.. I am weird
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:38 am

My bloke really hates dentists after an awful experience as a child when he broke a front tooth. The sadistic dentist was drilling right into the tooth to set the cap without anaesthetic!!!!! When he had to have his wisdom teeth out, he told the dentist that he was scared and they gave him these strong sedatives and all kinds of painkillers and he was off with the fairies for the whole procedure and was singing away to the dentists radio!!! The drugs were so strong he sent me 2 postcards (he was in Perth at the time) because he forgot he'd sent the first one the day after the removal. He said it was great because he felt no pain.

I don't mind dentists so much, but the feeling of scraping on my teeth just sends shivers up my spine.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Sassygirl » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:58 am

Yes Nikki you are weird - hahahaha - I told my dentist that he has to completely knock me out otherwise I will knock him out - needless to say - he laughed!!! Yummymummy he is a great dentist - talks to you non stop throughout your appointment. He knows all my family as we all go there!!!

Sassygirl

Next

Return to Just Chatting