It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:39 am

Free Newsletter

Scared

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Scared

Postby electrongirl » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:02 pm

Ok this is probably going to be long.. so please bear with me..

I quit my job on Saturday.

I've been there for about 6 months and I really loved it there at first. I still like it for the most part, but there are things about the place that really irk me.

Let me first tell you what has lead up to me quitting.

I have been off sick a few times lately. Mostly due to migraines I get when I am stressed. I have been very stressed lately, mainly due to finances. I always bring in a medical certificate when I am sick as requested by my boss.

Anyway, I was sick on Friday and on Saturday my boss asked me to come into his office.

He basically said that they will be changing me from full-time to casual as of 2 weeks time. Now the only reason they are keeping me on full-time for 2 weeks before they do this is because 2 of the part-timers in my section are on leave.

I flatly told him that if they change me to casual I will have to find another job as I cannot afford to live on a few days pay. He said that if I choose to do that its up to me but they are "helping me" by allowing me to work casually!!!

I went back to my desk and burst into tears. They have never asked me if there was a reason behind me being sick or anything. They don't care at all. Even though I have the highest sales in my team and I do more work than any of the others. Also the supervisor goes shopping on her 30 minute lunch break and comes back 90 minutes later THEN eats her lunch......

The thing that has hit me the most is this job had perfect hours. I was home in time for my sons bus and it was just around the corner.

Now I have to find something with the same hours as I must be home for him when he gets home.

My husband has been so supportive and is working extra hours to help.

I feel like a failure.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby electrongirl » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:04 pm

I forgot to say that after calling my husband on saturday he agreed with me that I will give them 1 weeks notice and that way I can be home with Ash for the holidays and job search then.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Ally » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi Nikki, don't feel like a failure....You know that the times you had off were genuine and you weren't just bunking off.....something will come along for you in no time, something that suits you better...chin up darl, it will be alright! :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Justjudy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:09 pm

Oh Nikki, what a stressful time that you have had! Big hugs to you - I think that you probably need one.

Good on you for sticking to your guns, some bosses think that if they throw you a bone you should be happy. It is wonderful that your husband is so supportive, and I am sure that between the two of you, you will come up with a solution.

On the bright side, you will have the holidays with your son, which will probably do the both of you the world of good. Go to the park and feed the ducks, go and ride bikes and have a picnic. Relax, and recharge, ready for forging ahead and finding a new job.

I always like to think that as one door closes, another one opens. :D

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby electrongirl » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:15 pm

Its hard not to stress though...

Our rent is about 2/3's of hubbys pay. So I need to find a job asap or we are in BIG trouble!!!

Its also pretty much put a stop on our trip to the US at Xmas to see hubbys family. He is putting up a brave front about that but I know its really hurting him.

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:16 pm

hey nikki oh how stressful for you. thats great that hubby is supportive. i always fret that mick will come home and has quit his job and then we would be stuck financially! but it sounds like you guys are hanging in there.

at least you will be able to spend the holidays with your son and im sure any job will be better than nothing. as judy said something will come along for you. think of it as a postive step- you wont have the stress of working where you are and i cant stand employers that dont give a rats ASS about their workers.

keep your chin up nikki it will work out for you
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:18 pm

I can understand the financial stress Nikki, but really try to be focused on finding something else and don't let it get you down darl...if you get too stressed it will also impact on your family as well as your health in general.....stay strong darl....we are here to give you emotional support if and when you need it!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Mandie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:10 pm

oh no, that's terrible, you poor thing!

i hope you find a new job quickly.. it's a terrible stress to happen, but you can get through it.. we are here to support you whatever you need!

best of luck at this difficult time...
Mandie

Postby yummymummy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:17 pm

I hope another job comes along soon for you, its sad how badly some employers treat staff, I didnt realise an employer could do that!!
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby milkyway » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:32 pm

Hi Nikki -- I am so sorry to hear of your situation, but have faith that a wonderful opportunity it lying in wait that probably wouldn't evenutate if you stayed at your current job.

Also, I don't know how your state laws work in WA, but here in Victoria, there's a thing called "constructive dismissal' which means that even though your employer doesn't say you're fired, their behaviour bascially forces you to leave. It sounds like that's your situation, though it depends on whether or not the company has a legitimate excuse for restructuring, downsizing. However, under Workchoices, if your employer has less than 100 employees, then there's not much you can by way of legal recourse :(

So check to see whether you have a legitimate claim against your employer for unfair dismissal.

All the best with your job hunting. I'm sure something positive will turn up quite quickly.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Dee » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:10 pm

Oh Nikki you poor thing.

You did not fail - your boss failed in keeping the highest seller in his team.

You will find a new job soon, you're good at what you do and you deserve every success. The finances will sort themselves out - sure it wont be easy but you are a strong capable woman and you will get through this.

keep us posted, our thoughts are with you.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Chelle » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:10 pm

That sucks big time, sorry to hear about your work problem, don't feel like a failure, hope that you find work soon.
Chelle

Postby Sassygirl » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:13 pm

The same thing basically happened to my husband. He used to work in a big transport company here in WA, his father was the general manager of it as well. To cut a long story short, his Dad retired and then went and bought a trucking company and went into competition with them, my husband was still working for them when he was called into the office by his boss and told that he was not allowed to look at files, give quotes and answer the telephones in case he leaked information to his father. It got to the point that my husband quit - and just when we were going to take them for Unfair Dismissal - we received a letter from them saying how sad they were that he was leaving and that there would always be a job here for him if ever he wants it. So we couldn't take them to court. Some people just don't know how to treat employees hay!

Revenge is sweet though - we ended up with all their cartage contracts and this company really felt the loss of those!!!!!

As I said in my PM to you Nikki, chin up and there is a saying that I feel fits your situation "When one door closes another one opens"
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby ZelmaWA » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:03 pm

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you Nikki. It is wonderful that your hubby is so supportive, as you don't need any added stress at this time. It is only natural that he is upset about perhaps missing out on visiting his family later in the year, but you know that he isn't blaming you, and that this disappointment will pass. I'm sure that you will make new plans as soon as you can.

I hope you find another job soon and that it is just as great, time-wise, as the other one. I am sure it won't take long for the boss at the other job to realise that he perhaps made a HUGE mistake, so at least that may give you a small amount of pleasure.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy a wonderful break with your son.

Take care,

Zelma
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at: http://www.zelma.neilknobbe.com
ZelmaWA

Return to Just Chatting