It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:47 am

Free Newsletter

Shingles/Chicken Pox Help!!!

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Shingles/Chicken Pox Help!!!

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:09 pm

hey guys

we are supposed to be going to sydney for a birthday party tomorrow at my cousins. and i just found out my cousin has had or still has shingles. but the party is still going ahead. my mum and sister said not to go because heidi could get it. she is 14 months and doesnt get the chicken pox vaccine til she is 18 months old. i rang my nan and she got upset cos i said i dont know if we will come down or not. and she cried and reckons that no one can catch it. i said that if we do go down and heidi does get chicken pox i will be very shitty about it.

i dont know what to do, i dont know a lot about it. even as a child care worker children are sent home if sick or kept away from the centre if there is an outbreak of something. im not too aware of things like this.

can anyone offer me some advice as to what i should do?
kate_turner2000

Postby yummymummy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:27 pm

My basic understanding is that there is a small chance that Heidi can catch chicken pox from someone with shingles if she comes into contact with the rash so if that area remains covered (which it usually is because the rash follows nerve paths and is contained to the cental abdomem) the chance is very low
Maybe go to the party but keep heidi away from your cousin, and dont let them carry her and cuddle her
but Ive also heard that once the shingles sufferer has been in active treatment for a couple of days that they should no longer be contagious
sorry I probably just confused you!
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:35 pm

hey jody yeah thanks trying to get as much advice as possible! if she had her immunisation for it i wouldnt worry so much as she wouldnt get it so severely. i know she can catch anything from anyone by getting pushed in her pram around the shops!

if we decide to go i will definately not let her be in contact with my cousin. she is 24 years old. it ticks me off though how you try to do the right thing but get crucified in the meantime. i guess you cant please everyone.
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:29 pm

Kate, that sux that everyone is giving you such a hard time for just trying to do the right thing by your daughter! You hang in there and just do what you think is best for Heidi.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:49 pm

thanks sandra

my sister who is down on holidays from cairns has offered to mind heidi from 10-4 whilst we are gone. so it will just be mick and i making an appearance. it wont be long and that way we can use the excuse that we need to get home. 4 hours of travel all up. not impressed.
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:52 pm

That was the problem to the solution Kate. Sometimes it just pops up without us pushing the issue. It was lovely of your sister to babysit. She will probably get a lot out of it, as will Heidi. Thats what sisters are for - Just ask Lolly :lol:

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Dee » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:14 pm

How perfect is that? Gotta love sister's like that.

Try and enjoy the drive as a couple rather than as Heidi's parents... sometimes we get so caught up in being parents that we forget that firstly we were best friends, lovers, etc.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Mandie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:14 pm

Yeah that's awful that she made you feel bad about it!

If you can't avoid bringing Heidi, just make sure she doesn't touch your cousin. Chicken pox can be spread through the air (because the virus is also in your respiratory system) through coughing , sneezing and stuff so defintely don't let her get anywhere near anyone with chicken pox until she is vaccinated.

Shingles is the same virus, but it's only present in the nerve and in the little vesicles (blisters that are present in the rash). So it's not contagious unless you touch the rash, and you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get it.

So like I said - if you want to bring Heidi, I think it would be fine, just as long as she doesn't touch your cousin then I think there would be no problem. Otherwise, enjoy the time alone :D

Have fun!
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:35 pm

thanks girls we have decided not to go altogether. ive had a very trying day today. did my grocery shopping tonight with my sister along for the ride, she went to wind my passenger window down and it fell out. great just what i need. also my globes are gone in one headlight so i couldnt see censored. i said excuse me to a couple of young girls about 9 or 10 they wouldve been as they were standing without an adult at the entrance to an aisle in woolworths. the girls moved and added 'you fat B%^&*' as my sister and i walked past. my sister said 'thats real lovely isnt it?' to them. my sister and i are the same size. so ive come home an d unpacked the car- no working window in my car as the glass has slid out. the car is as old as i am and i really need a new one but we cant afford it. so im pretty stressed out. there were traffic jams on the freeway to sydney so i said to mick that we arent going. id rather be a living parent to heidi then be in some terrible accident. if my family have a problem with me not going then they can deal with mick cos i aint in the mood!! if anyone would like to give to the kate_turner2000 charity please do so!!!
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:21 pm

Oh Kate you poor thing :( Sounds like you've had a shocker of a day :( :( Isn't it horrible when people make comments about you like that, I hope you didn't believe those nasty little girls because you are most certainly NOT a fat b**ch!!! You're a beautiful, healthy woman!!!

I totally understand about not wanting to risk the traffic on the freeway, safety comes first!!! can mick have a look at the car window and see if he can get it to sit in there properly again?? bloody cars, such a pain!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby milkyway » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:38 pm

Isn't awful when all these things just pile up on each other? One thing on its own is easy to deal with and just brush off, but one on top of the other just isn't fair. You've had a seriously bad day, Kate :(

However, enjoy the free day you have now been blessed with. I hope you have a great day with Mick and Heidi -- it's almost like having a stolen day :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:56 am

Hi girls thanks!!! i wouldve said something to the girls but i didnt want to stoop to their level LOL. makres you wonder where the parents are in these situations.

mick is going to have a look at the window today. makes me worry actually because i know what it looks like inside the door fab and it isnt pretty. but safety comes first and it would be pretty dangerous driving along a the window comes out and smashes everywhere on the ground. its just come off the rails, but no matter how many times you tell epople not to roll the window down they do :roll:
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Do not let some stupid teeny boppers make you feel bad about yourself Kate. You are an amazing, gorgeous woman.

Hope you enjoyed today, and that you're feeling much better.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:47 pm

hi dee

yeah today was an easy day. had dinner at mums place and so got to spend more time with my sister. tomorrow i have to hit the shops again to buy mick a home brew kit. hopefully this weather fines up!! have a great weekend and thanks for your comments :)
kate_turner2000

Return to Just Chatting