It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:08 am

Free Newsletter

Shop

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Shop

Postby Chelle » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:12 pm

I was walking past a shop today called ALLY they had an A4 piece of paper displaying We now stock size 4 & XXXSMALL .
I was disgusted how the hell would anyone fit into a size 4 let whatever is XXXsmall unless you were anorexic. What is this world comming to. I never even knew a size 4 existed.
Chelle

Postby ZelmaWA » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:56 pm

I've only ever seen those sizes in 'kids' sizes, and I think that they should STAY that way. I'm not sure many healthy adults would fit those sizes. Mind you, I have heard of some people having to buy kids' clothes because they are such a small build, but this is definitely a rarity and I'm not sure they are even THAT small.

Zelma
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at: http://www.zelma.neilknobbe.com
ZelmaWA

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:48 am

yeah i agree with zelma in that some people are just built to be small. mick can fit in a boys size 16 clothes and has a few surf brand clothes in the boys sizes - works out cheaper than the smallest in mens. a few people were upset that they dont have a biggest gainer show because some people eat and eat and cant put weight on and find they get just as much criticism as overweight/obese people.
kate_turner2000

Postby Vegetable » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:10 pm

I grew up next to a woman who was 4ft9, and sooo tiny. she had to shop in the kinds department and said it was embarrassing, and that she couldnt get any 'adult' looking clothes because they were made for kids. She lived in Girls jeans and plain jumpers. I guess its the same argument a lot of us have, which is 'why dont regular clothes go up to a size 20, 22, 26 etc rather than being ugly 'fat' clothes? I guess it goes both ways
Vegetable

Postby talia11 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:41 pm

That shop is ridiculous though, I have bought a few tops from there before and even their XL I would say is more a M.
Carmen - Weight Watchers -Goal 72kg

talia11

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:20 pm

yeah a few shops are like that. i brought some new pants from ice yesterday and they dont fit at all. gotta take them back. its like supre- their larges are like a size 12
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:15 pm

That's why Kate I never buy anything these days without trying it on because those shops are ridiculous you are one size but in those type of shops you are alot bigger. Plus im 6feet tall so if I buy pants I need to try on coz of length
Chelle

Postby milkyway » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:46 pm

The clothes are most likely imported from China where the natural size of people is much MUCH smaller than us, in more ways than you could imagine.

When I lived in Korea, I used to hate buying clothes because as soon as I'd walk into a shop, they'd make it a point of saying "We don't have your size" before the door had even closed behind you! And I was under 60kgs!

I had a lot of trouble finding shirts that fit across my bust (OK that's pretty obvious) and pants that were long enough in the crutch that they didn't ride right up and cut you in half in a most uncomfortable way :oops:

Our body types are just so different, hence the size discrepencies. But you think they'd be able to put more realistic Aussie sizes on the tags!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:12 pm

yeah so true about china sandra.

yeah i wouldve tried them on chelle but mick and heidi were patiently going to every shop with me to look at clothes i felt bad making them wait any longer lol. will just take them back this weekend coming. i did buy 2 new pairs of knickers and a new bra though- hoping to buy more on tuesday :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:54 pm

Men & children I know how you feel Kate. I hate it when I shop with either of them because you feel obligated to hurry or not try anything on at all.

Yeah sandra I know how you feel. When I wen't to Hong Kong I found it hard to buy clothes they either didn't fit me or they would not let me try them on first before I bought them so walked out.
Chelle

Re: Shop

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Wed May 02, 2007 11:15 am

Chelle wrote:I was walking past a shop today called ALLY they had an A4 piece of paper displaying We now stock size 4 & XXXSMALL .
I was disgusted how the hell would anyone fit into a size 4 let whatever is XXXsmall unless you were anorexic. What is this world comming to. I never even knew a size 4 existed.

I think that it's good that they are stocking smaller sizes because I've seen my very good friend get frustrated with clothes shopping. She is very petite weighs 41kgs and size 6 clothing is too big on her. She has had to buy a lot of her clothing in children's sizes and she finds it demeaning and feels less of a woman because of it or has had to get clothes altered or made.

I think it's just like clothing stores not stocking sizes larger than an 18 and making anyone over a size 18 wear hideous clothing which makes that person feel even worse than they might already feel.

In my opinion it's good that they are now catering for the smaller end of the spectrum, as they do for the larger end. My friend is constantly being given dirty looks by bigger women because she is so petite and I've seen it destroy her. I keep enforcing that they are jealous. No one should judge anyone as anorexic without knowing the facts.

I don't think these shops stocking smaller sizes are promoting anorexia. Anorexia is a mental disease, it's not adopted by sufferers to try and get down to a size whatever, they are trying to make themselves virtually disappear because at whatever size they are they are still fat in there mind.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby Jisgone » Wed May 02, 2007 11:36 pm

i went to supre yesterday to look at some pants, i tried them on and they fit only i wouldnt have to wear 3 foot high heels to stop then dragging along the ground
are there really 8 foot tall women out there?
Jisgone

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:14 am

my mum sews so i always get to take my pants up for me :) i cant never buy 3/4 pants though because they look like long pants but a bit shorter like i have grown out of them or something haha
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Thu May 03, 2007 11:00 am

haha I have the same trouble Kate....I went to Target the other day with Scott and he picked up this pair of lovely denim shorts and said to me here you go love these look nice....(they were meant to go to just on the knee), he got a bit huffy when I said no and then I showed him where they came to on me (It was between a 3/4 length and my knee) and he saw how silly it would look. We both walked away POSL!!! They need to make midget height stuff and I would be fine!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Chelle » Thu May 03, 2007 12:48 pm

I'm the oppoisite I have trouble finding pants that are long enough in the legs because I'm 6 feet tall. It really s.u.c.k.s when you find a really nice pair of pants & they are to short in the length
Chelle

Next

Return to Just Chatting